Feature Request (Delete one entry from Trash)

Options
Dm_z
Dm_z
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello AgileBits,

I'm using 1Password for 7 years already, and I miss this feature from day one. I have more items in my Trash(300) than in my vault(200), and some of them I prefer to have there, but most of the stuff should be removed, but I can't find a button to delete one entry only clear all of them. Can you add this functionality in this version?

1Password Version: 7.0 Beta 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Dm_z,

I'd be interested to hear why you're storing items that you do not wish to delete in the trash? The purpose of the trash (instead of deleting items instantly) is just as a safety net. It is there so if you delete something and then an hour later realize you deleted the wrong item and meant to delete something else instead you can quickly recover. It isn't intended as long term storage.

Please let us know. Thanks.

Ben

• Dm_z
    Dm_z
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Several scenarios:

• When I change my password sometimes website can't handle such big and complicated password, so I prefer saving both new and old for a while.
    • Websites I no longer use, but might need occasionally (once a year or so).
    • Old credit card (sometimes its number needed for confirming your identity, but I don't want them to show in menu)

So having a possibility to delete items one by one, would be nice to have, especially for just generated passwords (that doesn't contain login information). I'm surprised that nobody asked for this feature ever.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I like to keep those things as well, @Dm_z, so I created a vault called "x Archive". The x is there simply so it goes to the bottom of my vault list. This way I can empty my trash regularly.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@iamecho

I like to keep those things as well, @Dm_z, so I created a vault called "x Archive". The x is there simply so it goes to the bottom of my vault list. This way I can empty my trash regularly.

This is how I do it too. Keeps everything nice and neat. A trash is just that, trash. If you keep stuff in there, you can have an “oooops” and it’s all gone.

• Dm_z
    Dm_z
    Community Member
    Options

@iamecho @prime That sounds like workaround, for separate vault you need one more password, etc. Most of the software allows you to clean stuff from trash one by one; I don't think it's hard from developer perspective at all.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Dm_z if you have the single license, you do. But if I remember right, once that vault is connected, you can use the master password to the main one just to log in. It’s been a while since I’ve done this. On the subscription one, you just add a vault and done. @Ben can give you more detail.

• invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    Options

@Dm_z if you change a password from within a Login document all prior versions can be found under the "show previously used passwords". This button is available while not in edit mode.

• Ben
    Options

You do not have to type the password for the secondary vault except when adding it to a device. :) The solution I’d recommend is the one recommended here. But we do appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration.

Ben

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

The inability to delete individual trashed items is a royal pain for Teams. I'm quite happy to delete logins I'm sure I no longer need, but not others'; that's up to them.

Suggesting alternative vaults is a bit much when people would prefer to use 1P's trash like they do their OS's trash/recycle.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roy_orbison: I don't think the filesystem is really an apt comparison, especially since item history exists anyway, among other reasons. But I agree that it might be nice to be able to do this on occasion. This just isn't at all related to the beta; 1Password has never had a notion of selectively removing items in the Trash. Definitely something we'll continue to evaluate though. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty So it's like a filesystem with time machine? The analogy isn't really the point, It's that all-or-nothing trash emptying is bad design.

You're right about it not being Mac-specific, but I don't think my 2¢ warranted a new thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roy_orbison: No worries. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page. Subjective stamen tents about design notwithstanding, I think there's a case to be made for more Trash flexibility. I'm sorry if I that was unclear. However, it's not something we're going to change in the short term in one specific app. It's something that would need to be done across all six apps we have today where this would be relevant, and that's a bit out of the scope of the Mac beta. That's all I meant. We'll definitely keep the request in mind going forward. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.