1Password 7 Mini - Clicking on login entry overrides active Firefox tab

lumarel
lumarel
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,
First I really have to thank you for this new release of 1Password, it already looks so great and is faster than ever before!

Maybe its not implemented up to now, but when I click in the 1P mini on one of the items, which have an website stored, the current browser tab gets overriden by the login I wanted to open in a new tab.

~lumarel

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: 4.7.1.2
OS Version: Windows 10 1709 16299.334
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 Mini open entry overrides current tab

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @lumarel,

Thanks for reporting this and for the awesome feedback.

Right now, 1Password 7 only supports opening in the current tab, there's no option to switch to a new tab or new window. We do plan to implement these settings in a future update.

ref: OPW-867

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

This is very annoying. I don't know the URL for some of my logins, so navigating to the site PRIOR to selecting a login is very cumbersome. Even opening a new blank tab first seems backward. I just upgraded from 6 (one-time purchase) to 7 (subscription- still within my trial period) and I'm seriously considering switching back to 6 because of this.

• Hi @SyberCorp,

Thanks for letting us know this is annoying you. Unfortunately, there is no timeframe on when this will be implemented.

I just upgraded from 6 (one-time purchase) to 7 (subscription- still within my trial period) and I'm seriously considering switching back to 6 because of this.

Are you on macOS or did you meant 1Password 4 for Windows?

1Password 6 for Windows only supported 1Password.com memberships and also did not support opening in a new tab. You would have to fall back to 1Password 4 to get this feature.

1Password 6/7 for Windows is a separate clean codebase from 1Password 4, it's going to take some time to implement some of the features from 1Password 4.

I don't know the URL for some of my logins, so navigating to the site PRIOR to selecting a login is very cumbersome.

You do not need to remember the URL, you can open a new tab (Control + N usually), then bring up 1Password mini (Control + Alt +\), start typing to search the item you want and press enter on it, it'll open the site for you.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@MikeT I use macOS (personal computer) and Windows 10 (work computer), along with the iOS version on my iPhone; it's version 7 on all of them. I uninstalled version 6 on my Mac and version 4 on Windows prior to installing the version 7 clients (I also uninstalled the browser extensions prior to the upgrade).

Sure. Like I mentioned though, opening a new tab first seems almost redundant or like the extra step that it is. It's just annoying. I understand it's a new codebase so it's gonna take a bit of time to get it up to par with what 6 was/is, it just seems like a fairly basic requirement to not overwrite existing tabs.

Another issue I noticed, since you mentioned using it, is the search field - it's not global.... it's contextual. If I'm not in the "All Items" or "All Logins" view/tab of 1Password, I won't find my items. This is another difference between 6 (4) and 7. To add to the annoyance, I generally kept my view on Favorites to avoid having to search most of the time. While there is still a Favorites tab, it is not selected by default, it is unselected constantly (like when opening a new browser tab/window, or when clicking on a login item), and because the search is not global, you have to either keep it on "All Items" or "All Logins" at all times in order to search for your items or constantly flip back and forth. The new UI is pretty but it's highly counterproductive in its current form.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @SyberCorp,

It just seems like a fairly basic requirement to not overwrite existing tabs.

It seems like it but it isn't the default because you're opening 1Password mini on top of the tab you're on, the extension sends a call within that tab, not to the browser. We have to send an extra command to the browser that it needs to open a separate tab, it's just not implemented at the moment.

In addition, majority of our users are not aware these options exist, we don't get many requests to add this. As we're catching up, we're implementing the most common use cases, not the least ones.

is the search field - it's not global.... it's contextual. If I'm not in the "All Items" or "All Logins" view/tab of 1Password, I won't find my items.

Correct since you can only use Logins to open a new tab. 1Password will show matching items first in Logins but you can simply search for something else and it'll switch to All Logins like so:

While there is still a Favorites tab, it is not selected by default, it is unselected constantly

That's intentional, it is not supposed to be selected. If you open up 1Password mini outside of browsers like on your desktop, it defaults to All Items. If you're within browser or near it, it switches to Logins by default.

We will continue to improve this in the future.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@MikeT It's only "global" if you've selected All Vaults but, if you've selected Favorites, the search will come up empty if you've not marked the particular login you're searching for as a Favorite. There's a typo in the search box, btw. If you click on the Favorites tab, the search box still shows "Search All Vaults" when it's really not... it's only searching Favorites (again, because it's not truly global - it's contextual).

If the Favorites tab is not supposed to be selected by default (or at least remain selected once a user has chosen it, which seems like a pretty fair compromise: remembering the last tab selection), what is the purpose of even having a Favorites section? Pretty much any application that has favorites or options, has something similar to showing a basic/quick list (like the Favorites tab shows) but the user can then switch to an advanced/full view ("All Logins") if they want to see more. In the case of 1Password, that logic is reversed for some reason.

I'll probably stick with version 7 solely for the fact that 6 is no longer under active development, but 6 was FAR superior in design and functionality from a user standpoint, in my opinion.

• Hi @SyberCorp,

There's a typo in the search box, btw. If you click on the Favorites tab, the search box still shows "Search All Vaults" when it's really not... it's only searching Favorites (again, because it's not truly global - it's contextual).

It is not a typo, it is supposed to say which vault you're searching in. In this case, you're viewing the list of favorites from all of your vaults. Since you've selected Favorites, you're searching the list of favorites from all of your vaults.

The wording doesn't change in any categories until you change your vault to something else.

It's only "global" if you've selected All Vaults

I incorrectly wrote global when I meant all Logins. This behavior is limited to Logins category because of the matching filter when you're on a website tab, this doesn't exist in other categories. Basically, when you start searching, it removes the matching filter to search the whole list of Logins.

if you've selected Favorites, the search will come up empty if you've not marked the particular login you're searching for as a Favorite.

Yep, that is no longer consistent with the new 1Password mini on macOS, we will update the Windows version in a future update when we redesign it. We weren't expecting the new mini and we've released 1Password 7 on Windows before the macOS team did, it's a separate development process on each platform.

If the Favorites tab is not supposed to be selected by default (or at least remain selected once a user has chosen it, which seems like a pretty fair compromise: remembering the last tab selection), what is the purpose of even having a Favorites section?

When you're on a website tab, switching to Favorites by default makes 1Password mini difficult to use since it won't show you the matched items to fill on the site. You'd be changing from Favorites every time you go to a different website, same issue with last tab selection. This is the same behavior with the macOS version of 1Password.

When you're outside of the browsers, you'd want to quickly find something in your item, so we default to All Items to let you do just that. If you're in Favorites, you may not find what you're looking for, forcing you to constantly switch to All Items. Right now, we don't have the code to fall back to All Items. Once we do, we will default to Favorites.

Defaulting to Favorites and falling back to All Items is what the new 1Password 7 mini on macOS changed to. It defaults to Suggested items on apps and websites but it defaults to Favorites when you're not on a website tab or on a tab where there is no URL.

We'll get both consistent as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.