I updated to the new 1 Password 7 and now my extension is not working.

Options
vmonstrena
vmonstrena
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Now that I have the new 1Password 7, my extensions isn't working. When I click on the extension it highlights blue, but nothing will come up and no fields fill in with my password information. Also, when I create new log-in information for websites 1Password no longer asks to save the information. I download the extension and then when I close out of 1Password the extension disappears and my computer shows I have no extensions. How can I fix this?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-6 (70000006) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:The extension in Safari isn't working after I switched over to 1password 7. How can I fix this.

Comments

• vmonstrena
    vmonstrena
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I only updated it on one computer, so in the older version on my other Mac everything is working properly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vmonstrena,

Before we dive in, can you tell us what browsers you routinely use and have observed this issue with. This will help tailor the troubleshooting to ensure it relates to the trouble you're having.

• vmonstrena
    vmonstrena
    Community Member
    Options

I am using Safari only on this computer.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vmonstrena,

With Safari things have changed a lot in 1Password 7. It's an entirely new extension and you don't download it like you used to. Given it's a brand new extension here are the troubleshooting steps I would like you to try for me please.

1. Confirm the 1Password 7 beta application bundle is stored in your /Applications/ folder. If 1Password is located anywhere else sandboxing stops the Safari extension from working.
    2. In Safari, enter Safari's preferences and switch to the Extensions tab.
    3. If 1Password is listed more than once, uninstall any copy that does not start with 1Password 7.0.BETA-N where N is the current beta number. 1Password should be removing them but it's just in case. Safari pulls the new extension from the beta application directly.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Launch 1Password and unlock.
    6. Launch Safari.

Q1. Do you see the 1Password Browser Extension button in the Safari toolbar?
    Q2. Does it respond to being clicked and display the 1Password mini menu?

• daveathall
    daveathall
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I have this same problem, I have a Mac Book pro, I have done all of the above, to be quite frank, I now have to manually open my 1 Password app, and copy and paste my password and manually enter my user name.

Has this been sorted or is there a way back to 1 Password 6, at the moment, a piece of paper at the side of my computer with my passwords is easier.

I use Safari.

If I delete 1 Password 7 Beta, will it simply be a case of going to the App store and re installing the previous version, will I be able to get the previous version extension for Safari.

Really disappointed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daveathall - we are indeed having a couple of issues with the Safari App Extension, but there's also the possibility for each individual setup that there are other things specific to your setup that are causing or contributing to the behavior you're experiencing. If you're interested in pursuing that possibility, let us know. If you just want to revert to the previous version - and assuming that you're syncing your data in some way (1Password.com, Dropbox, iCloud, etc), then you should be able to delete 1Password 7 (just drag to the trash) and re-install 1Password 6. You'll need to visit our extensions page to re-download version 4.7.0 of the extension (or install from the Safari Extensions Gallery), but everything should work fine. Let us know what you'd like to do.

• daveathall
    daveathall
    Community Member
    Options

I have already uninstalled 7 and reverting back, I wish I had have known there were different solutions, I tried all the solutions on the previous post but found that it worked after the restart but once I closed my Mac, it wouldn't work again. I would have stayed with 7 as I thought it looked much better.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daveathall - well, although we strongly recommend not having version 6 and 7 installed at the same time, it shouldn't be an all-or-nothing proposition. You can transition back to 1Password 7 for Mac if you like, or you can stick with version 6 if you prefer and wait until the public release of 1Password 7 for Mac. Let us know if you need any assistance.

• daveathall
    daveathall
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I deleted version 7 and will wait for the public version.

• Ben
    Options

Okay. :)

Ben

• cptodd
    cptodd
    Community Member
    Options

So I am having the same problem in Safari. I have version 10 of Beta 7. To be honest, the problem seems to be with Safari as most of the time ( and I can only say most because I was not systematic with my observations) when I switch to Chrome I don't seem to have a problem with 1Password. A lot of the time what happens is that I will get to a website in safari and invoke 1password and then the little icon in my menubar turns blue and nothing happens. it seems to just freeze. I can open the actual application and manually cut and paste the information but the menubar helper just seems to not work well with Safari. I have copied the URL of the site that I am on and pasted it into chrome and then invoked 1password that way. That seems to work. Also, I have opened the 1password app which then seems to free up the menubar extension. Not sure what is going on but it is frustrating to move from an application that worked smoothly to this.

I also want to mention that this system is not THAT old. I swapped out my HD on March 24 and set this computer up new (no migration).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As to current problems with the Safari extension please see this AgileBits' post.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@cptodd: Yeah the Safari app extension is a bit challenging, but we're working on some things that can help, both in the short term and further down the road. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the beta, and you're free to use the stable release of 1Password 6 in the mean time while we work on things. Thanks for your feedback on this!

This discussion has been closed.