Missing some button to remove previous passwords [Not planned to be editable]

oksoftware
oksoftware
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In 1Password 7 I really miss a button to clear previous passwords. It is especially necessary in case of duplication of items.
Sample scenario: Imagine you have an item containing some important instructions, many URLs, contact details for some support stuff etc., and login credentials. You need to create similar items for several users and you need to distribute the new items among them. You create a single item, tune it up and when you are happy with it, you duplicate it, update the login information and... you find impossible to remove your own password from the new items.

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @oksoftware,

Thanks for writing in.

Previously used passwords is a read-only history log, it is not supposed to be editable by users. No 1Password app is supposed let you remove this and we have no plans to make it so.

You can duplicate the item in 1Password 7, 1Password will not duplicate the password history with it. If it does, it is a bug but I cannot reproduce this in the 1Password 7 beta.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member

Hi, the problem is that you typically first duplicate an item and you change the credentials as a second step, because you want to keep the original item untouched. I was used to remove those passwords in 1Password 4, where it was one single click, and didn't expect 1Password 7 won't allow this. Is there any reason why this action has been banned? Or have I to duplicate each item after change again just to remove the password history? The red minus next to each previous password would be much, much simpler. I don't want to edit those passwords, I just want to let them disappear. Another situation, when this can be handy: I change a password of an item. Then I find the new password doesn't match some stupid rule of some server. So I need to change it again, but the invalid password is written to the history of used passwords forever.
    Please, allow this, it shouldn't be so difficult :-)

• Hi @oksoftware,

Didn't expect 1Password 7 won't allow this. Is there any reason why this action has been banned?

Because this is a read-only password history, it is not meant to be editable.

In a future update, 1Password 7 will remove the password history from the editor, it's not meant to be there.

Please, allow this, it shouldn't be so difficult :-)

I'll pass it on to our team but this was decided for consistency reasons that all 1Password apps will soon be consistent with; read-only and hidden from the editor.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member

To be honest, the password history saved me several times in case when 1Password had offered me to update a password (on purpose) but then the server declined to save it so the previous one was kept. In such case I really appreciated the ability to get the reveal password. I think the implementation in 1Password 4 was great and there is not too much to do better with this. I would welcome to have it there and to have the ability to clear individual previous passwords or to clear them all at once. Perhaps the second option can be even more practical than to clear them one by one.
    I fully understand that the list is read-only and I am fine with this, but still the list is stored in the item which is fully writable. To be correct, at every change of a password you add a new line to this “read-only” list. So it is not so read-only as it sounds :-). And clearing of a list is usually a one line opperation in programming.

• Hi @oksoftware,

. To be correct, at every change of a password you add a new line to this “read-only” list. So it is not so read-only as it sounds :-). And clearing of a list is usually a one line opperation in programming.

Yes, it is not of your doing, it is an automatic action by 1Password. You didn't intentionally add a new password field. When you copy or move or duplicate this item, the said history will not be copied over. We can't have this be inconsistent.

This is an opinionated feature by us and at this point, we have no plans to change this behavior. This is or will be consistent across all 1Password apps.

This discussion has been closed.