Not filling in Safari

Options
thegdgteer
thegdgteer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I think the issue I'm having with 1Password 7 Beta is that if I have Safari in it's own Desktop space and 1Password running in a different space, went I invoke my Option-Command-Backspace shortcut, 1Password does not show. Is this a known issue? Thanks, David

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-6 (70000006)
Extension Version: Beta-5
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thegdgteer,

I wasn't able to reproduce although I confess I'm not an experienced spaces/desktop user myself. I created a couple of new desktops and placed Safari and 1Password 7 into separate ones. I then switched to Safari, which was a maximised window but not full screen and I was able to access 1Password mini as normal and fill the open page.

Can you see if your findings are reproducible after a restart of the Mac please or if what you're experiencing is some blip that doesn't reoccur. Also, if you think there's anything missing from my description that could explain a difference please say and I'll retest.

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. Maybe I was incorrect in identifying the situation. I'm definitely having issues where my Show 1Password keyboard shortcut is now showing the 1Password window. I can hear a system sound when I invoke the shortcut but the window doesn't always appear. Possibly related, even when it DOES show, sometimes it doesn't show the current site listed in the top. What does seem to help at least sometimes is if I click the 1Password button in the Safari toolbar (to the left of the URL address entry), that will show the current site and then if I invoke the 1Password keyboard shortcut again it will highlight the current site. I hope this helps some but it's just working VERY unreliably for me with Safari right now. If there's any tips you have for clearing this up, let me know.

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and by the, this behavior persists after a refresh reboot of my Mac.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

@thegdgteer

I'm not able to reproduce this on my system either. Could you please walk us through the exact steps that you're taking to replicate this? In every scenario I've tried the extension appeared as expected using either the Cmd+\ or Cmd+Opt+\ shortcuts. I did note that Cmd+Opt+\ produces the system sound ("alert sound") as you mentioned, which I don't think is intentional. I'll file a bug against that.

Ben

ref: apple-512

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I don't know how to force the issue to occur that using the Cmd+Opt+\ fails to show the 1Password dialog window but it does occur often. However, see the animated GIF attached to view the other issue I mentioned where the dialog doesn't show the current site until I toggle the menu bar:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thegdgteer,

So I'm wondering if it's something or nothing but in that animated GIF you've created one thing I notice is two times that 1Password doesn't show the matching Login item the Safari bar seems to indicate it does not have focus. If any other application has focus this would explain what you're seeing. It seems like when the Safari window does have focus, indicated by the darker grey, that 1Password shows the correct Login items.

One other thing that puzzles me slightly is the three buttons in the upper left hand corner of the window. At least with default settings the only time they aren't red, orange and green for me is also when the window doesn't have focus. It may be nothing but my ignorance over a particular feature or setting but I thought it worth asking about.

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables, thanks for following up. I'm quite certain Safari does have focus during this behavior. To be clear, I've been using 1Password for years and nothing has changed with my usage so it seems attributable to the beta.

Regarding the three buttons in the upper left hand corner, I think what you're referring to is just a setting I have on the Appearance:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thegdgteer,

Thank you for that piece of information, that's my something new for today. I wouldn't have guessed at that altering the buttons.

Regarding the other aspect. In the GIF you display the 1Password mini menu four times. The first two seem to be by way of the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ and they both don't show a match. You then click on the 1Password Browser Extension button in the toolbar followed by one last use of the keyboard shortcut and the latter two both correct display the matching Login item.

Watch what happens to the Safari window though from before you click the button to after you've clicked the button.

This is before.

and this is after.

The buttons threw me a bit but it's the colour of the bar that I notice. The first, where it's white is what Safari looks like for me when it doesn't have focus. After you click the button though the window changes to a distinctive grey which is what Safari looks like for me if it has focus. Of course the question is why has focus shifted and is it in any way because of 1Password. This I don't have an answer for but what I'm wondering is does the possibility of focus and what is the active window potentially explain the behaviour you're seeing. The next time it happens, can you note what the Safari window looks like and whether 1Password mini starts to show the correct items if you click anywhere and ensure the Safari window has focus.

If you're wondering why I'm focussing on this, it's just to make sure that if we report something that we report the right thing. I would hate to file something only to later discover we didn't do enough groundwork with you and you simply keep suffering. A report where 1Password isn't showing the correct matches in contrast to one where we have steps of 1Password stealing focus will have the developers checking in very different locations of the code so I want to make sure we have them looking in the right spot :smile:

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed response. I tried to investigate per your suggestions:

The next time it happens, can you note what the Safari window looks like and whether 1Password mini starts to show the correct items if you click anywhere and ensure the Safari window has focus.

See screenshot below and as far as I can tell Safari has focus when invoking 1Password mini and clicking elsewhere ensuring Safari has focus does not change anything:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thegdgteer,

Nuts, well that eliminates my theory no matter how plausible it may have been based on the animated GIF. Looks like we're back at square one.

We're currently at BETA-8. Can you check and see if you're current and then just for good measure restart the Mac. It's probably overkill but sometimes it just helps to know everything has started cleanly from a reboot. Can you then test two scenarios.

1. How you like to use 1Password and Safari at the moment.
    2. Running Safari and 1Password in a single Desktop.

I realise 2. isn't what you like to do and I certainly don't mean it to be a permanent workaround. I'm just trying to see if we can eliminate certain variables as we try to understand what's going wrong.

The positive is I do expect the Safari extension to continue to improve as we learn more about the gotchas.

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on BETA-8 and just rebooted and tested both scenarios. I'm still seeing the same behavior as previously detailed for both 1 and 2.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thegdgteer,

Well we're learning more at a guess even if I'm still unsure what is causing the issue. At least we've eliminated spaces/desktops as being part a factor and any step forward has to be positive.

So whatever is happening isn't because you like to run Safari and 1Password in separate spaces/desktops. It isn't because Safari doesn't have focus and the issue disappears, at least for a while, if you click on one of the 1Password icons (Safari toolbar or macOS menu bar). Does that all sound like an accurate assessment of what we currently know?

It shouldn't be a factor but it's worth asking. Once the issue first appears I believe it will consistently occur until you take remedial action which at the moment is clicking one of the icons. Can I ask, do you see any difference in the observable behaviour if you switch away from Safari to any other application, pause for a second and then switch back. Ideally you would switch away to an application other than 1Password just so we don't introduce anything that way. This used to a be a known issue in 1Password 6 and it shouldn't be a factor in 1Password 7 but I want to collect as much information as we can given the cause and easily reproducible steps over multiple devices still eludes us.

With that last bit, what I mean is it's consistently happening for you but weirdly not for us. Believe me, I wish this weren't the case as if we could consistently reproduce we'd be in a much better position for debugging what the heck was going on and getting it fixed.

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member
    Options

It isn't because Safari doesn't have focus and the issue disappears, at least for a while, if you click on one of the 1Password icons (Safari toolbar or macOS menu bar). Does that all sound like an accurate assessment of what we currently know?

If I use my keyboard shortcut OR the macOS menu bar icon I get the same behavior where it does not show the current site. Only when I press the Safari toolbar button which DOES show the current site does it resolve such that using the keyboard shortcut OR the macOS menu bar icon DOES also show the current site. Also, occasionally using the keyboard shortcut does nothing, that is does not display the 1Password window. When this occurs, tapping the macOS menu bar icon highlights the icon but does nothing also. Again, using the Safari button fixes this.

Can I ask, do you see any difference in the observable behaviour if you switch away from Safari to any other application, pause for a second and then switch back. Ideally you would switch away to an application other than 1Password just so we don't introduce anything that way

No, switching applications and returning does not resolve the issue.

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

To move over to this thread from: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/425153/#Comment_425153 I am also seeing this behavior.

For example, as I read through this thread, I invoked 1P Mini via ⌘⌥\ saw Agilebits Forum wasn't showing, clicked on the Safari Extension Button, which showed Agilebits Forum and invoked 1P mini again and 1P Mini showed the forum. As I read further, I invoked again (about a minute later, never leaving Safari) and 1P Mini no longer showed Agilebits forum as the top item. I can reliably reproduce this issue on this forum among a multitude of sites.

Another piece of information is that if I open a new tab and go to another site it "refocuses" 1P Mini in Safari, but within a minute it loses focus of Safari and doesn't show the current pages login item.

Not sure if this helps, but that has been my experience just this morning. Let me know if I can provide any more information.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback on this folks. We’ll continue to investigate this issue.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.