Feature request: import all items from the Keychain

olivierdb
olivierdb
Community Member

Personally, I more often use Google Chrome or Firefox than Safari, so I'd find it nice if we could import all items from the mac OS keychain into one or multiple categories. This way, we'd have acces to the keychain in other browsers than Safari via 1P.

1Password Version: 7 Beta
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@olivierdb - I'm not quite sure what you're asking? 1Password works very well in both Firefox and Chrome. You need the appropriate extension, of course, but it should work just fine. Are you referring to other items besides logins that are stored within the system keychain in macOS?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018

@olivierdb @Lars ,

I'll add some more info...

Chrome stores its form fill data (Login, Credit Card, Identity) in its own private database. It is not in the macOS Keychain.

Safari stores this data in the macOS keychain.

Firefox stores its data in its own private profile area.

I can't speak for Agilebits, but it seems unlikely they will modify 1Password to synchronize with this app-private data.

The 1.10 version of the converter suite now contains a chrome converter. It allows direct importing of your Chrome data (mentioned above).

There is also a keychain converter for the macOS Keychain. The iCloud Keychain requires more work on your part (and recent macOS updates have made this problematic).

I have not yet created a Firefox converter.

The 1.10 version of the converter suite located in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the thread I posted above.

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@Lars
    I had in mind what is labeled as "Internet password" and "Web form password" under the "Login" and "iCloud" categories.

But now that you ask, it may also be a good idea to include public and private keys, that is if you are able to provide an easy way for developers to use 1P as an extension to their apps. I'm thinking of native email apps (and email web apps) here. But, to be perfectly honest, I'm not certain I understand the concept of app extensions for macOS.

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member

@MrC Wow! That's quite impressive! Shame it's not integrated in 1P to make our lives easier!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@olivierdb ,

Apple does not make what you ask for available. For security reasons, there's no external syncing API for this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@olivierdb - sorry, just getting back to this one now. @MrC is quite right, Apple does not provide a way to access those kinds of items via API sync/calls. That's why I asked if you were meaning something like that. Thanks for clarifying. :)

This discussion has been closed.