Uninstall 1password7 without affecting 1Password6 data

Options
plouffejj
plouffejj
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have 1Password7 and 1Password6 versions on my Mac. I'm having problems syncing my 1Password6 data with my mobile devices because the sync wants 1Password7 unlocked before it works. The problem is that my account associated with 1Password7 is frozen, I don't want to pay the fee right now, and 1Password7 does not have the latest password data (I made changes using 1Password6 after installing 1Password7). So, I want to get rid of 1Password7 without affecting the data in 1Password6, how do I do that? I've seen comments online that app uninstallers don't work and all I really need to do is drag 1Password7 app to the trash. If the dragging to trash is the answer, how do I get the sync to use 1Password6 again?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• PILATE
    PILATE
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I've been trying to undo the mess created by the trial install and after nearly an hour and sundry stopping points I'm utterly disgusted. I can't even use the app to login here!!! Trying to uninstall the app brings up a number of frustrating messages. Somehow, the app continues running in the background as I'm trying to stop it. Even the force quite doesn't show it as an option.!

I can't drag it to the trash and there's no option to quite on a drop down.

I went into the startup folders, application support, and sundry other places looking to delete whatever data was bringing me grief and finally was able to startup my previous version. Now however having to reimport my data, I'm working with a copy that's old and missing a good deal of work I'd done last week.

Everyone wants to collect rent these days. Applications that served a simple purpose are always growing more complicated with expanded capabilities that I suppose keep coders employed but the application becomes more important than the task it was created for requiring every more fussing by the user to get anything done.

LATER-

I update version 6 and it wants to sync with iCloud. Then I get this;

2013!!!!!

WTF???

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@plouffejj,

I apologise for only just now getting round to replying to your query. 1Password 7 and 1Password 6 don't share any files in common in terms of day to day operation. That includes preferences and the all important files relating to your vaults. What is intended to happen the first time you run 1Password 7 is it imports everything from the existing locations by copying. For this reason, if you didn't make any alterations to any vaults from 1Password 7 then deleting the 1Password 7 application bundle and launching the 1Password 6 application should see everything as you left it. Any syncing you had set up will still be there.

I would recommend avoiding app cleaners for fear they make recommend deleting something that you really want to keep. Should we need to worry about cleaning up something later we can always guide you through the process so that you know you won't accidentally delete anything important.

What becomes slightly more complicated is if you make alterations to your vaults in 1Password 7 that you want to keep when you return to 1Password 6. This could involve a couple of posts backwards and forwards so I won't delve into this unless it happens to be the case.

Please let us know if we can be of assistance.

ref: GGH-73137-415

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PILATE,

I can appreciate the frustration you've been experiencing and I only wish we'd been in contact with each other before you had started deleting files. It's very hard to say what might be lost now.

1. Assuming you haven't synced your vault with iCloud yet, how recent is the vault that you recovered, is it as current as a week ago? (not to marginalise how much you may have lost during that week).
    2. Do you know if you were syncing to iCloud in 1Password 6 before trying the 1Password 7 beta?
    3. Do you have copies of 1Password 6 on other computers, ones where you didn't install 1Password 7?

My hope is this will give us an idea of what the best path forward is for your situation.

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member
    Options

Not 100% sure if the problem I'm having is related, but fact is that I also installed the v7 beta last week and had to delete it again as it kept crashing. May or may not be coincidence, but today and yesterday I spent hours cleaning up and updating vaults from my client (v6) app and turns out nothing was synced to your servers. In the meantime colleagues have updated some of those credentials as well, so it's getting very messy.
    Any advice on what causes this and what I can do in this situation?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pminne Sorry for the trouble!

...turns out nothing was synced to your servers.

Can I ask what they were syncing to, if not our servers? In order for vaults to sync with 1password.com, you have to be a member of one or more 1password.com accounts. These could be individual or 1Password Families accounts you set up your self, or 1Password Teams or 1Password Business accounts you were invited to. But if you've never set up a 1Password membership/account, it won't be a surprise or problem that your data aren't synced with the 1password.com servers.

When you look in Preferences > Vaults, what do you see? If you prefer, you can take a screenshot of It, and post that here.

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member
    Options

We have a Teams account. As mentioned, colleagues were updating shared credentials as well.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pminne - thanks for the update. Can you tell me what you see in Preferences > Vaults, please? Also, do you see only one copy of 1Password in your Applications folder, or more than one?

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member
    Options

Only one copy of 1Password in the Apps folder.
    Did some further testing and it appears to be limited to one specific vault that does not sync (one of the 40+). If I create/edit in that vault from my client app, changes are not reflected in the web app. Leaving enough time to sync, killing/restarting the app, etc.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @pminne. I think I may have an idea of what is happening here but to confirm (or deny) that suspicion I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/426729/#Comment_426729
    • Your forum username: pminne

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member
    Options

Thx Ben.
    Support ID number: #QBT-32747-125

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pminne: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

QBT-32747-125

This discussion has been closed.