1Password Restore from Yesterday Not Working / Won't Import

Options
brandllama
brandllama
Community Member

Yesterday, when running a Disk Doctor clean on my Mac, that app cleared out all my preferences and a bunch of stuff it should not have. Along with all that, it cleared out all of my 1Password entries. I was able to restore the latest backup from a disk recovery tool. However, the 1p4_zip file will not restore at all in 1Password. I've also recovered a backup from a couple of days ago, but that won't restore either.

I have tried to recreate the vault by directly importing the backups during the fresh startup of 1Password, and I have tried creating a new vault with the same master password, then importing the backup, and both have failed. I'm using a Mac App Store version of 1Password, if that matters.

Any ideas? Kinda at a loss here on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help!

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (688001)
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Local / Offline
Referrer: forum-search:restore fail

Comments

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

BUMP - Any thoughts on this? I need those password for the myriad of websites we manage. Otherwise, I'm about to lose 4 hours to reset them all to start from scratch.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @brandllama! I'm sorry for the delay in our reply -- we've been pretty swamped, between the releases of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows beta.

Yesterday, when running a Disk Doctor clean on my Mac, that app cleared out all my preferences and a bunch of stuff it should not have.

Yup, that's why we recommend people NOT use (or specifically exclude 1Password from) the operations of any such "app cleaners" or uninstallers -- because they can often remove more information than we want them to -- including user's 1Password data.

Can I ask: how are you trying to "restore" this file? The procedure should be something like this, for an external backup:

1. Open 1Password Preferences > Backup
    2. Choose "Find Backup"
    3. Navigate to wherever you are keeping the 1p4_zip file you brought back from the backup.
    4. Click "Add Backup" (this will import the file into the proper folder in your Library folder)
    5. In the list of backups in the main window of Preferences > Backup, locate and select the backup you just imported
    6. Restore it.

Let us know how that goes for you.

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. Normally, the app cleaner skipped 1Password reliable, for nearly a year. No idea why it "cleaned" it this time.

To answer your question, yes, that's "restore" process I had tried. I just tried it again, but it doesn't import. When I click Restore, the popup comes up saying the restore will replace your data, sync will be turned off, etc. I click Restore in the message, and nothing happens. It doesn't load the restore, doesn't restart, simply does nothing.

I have tried to restore during a clean setup, and tried to restore after creating a new instance with the same master password. Both backup restores have failed.

It's possible that the restore file I have is corrupt, but it does show up in the list correctly, with the correct number of entries.

Any ideas? Or am I simply doomed to recreating over 200 passwords?

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama

am I simply doomed to recreating over 200 passwords?

I hope not! And from your description, I don't think so. However, at this point, you may need to reinstall 1Password itself, because if your cleaner app removed backups, it may have removed other needed files that make the app itself unstable. Please:

1. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Delete 1Password -- don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. then empty your Mac's trash.
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy of the 1Password 6 for Mac package installer and run it.
    5. Try the above procedure again.

Let us know how that works for you!

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I will give that a try now.

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, that did not work. I think the backup I restored from my hard drive is corrupt. I will have to recreate everything. I'm now storing the backups in a syncing tool, so hopefully, this won't happen again for a long time. Thanks again for the assistance!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama -- before I tell you all hope is lost here, I'd like to see whether we can salvage this. Can you try this for me?

1. Rename the filetype of the backup you salvaged from 1p4_zip to 1p4.zip (so it looks just like a regular zip file).
    2. Try to decompress this using the regular macOS archive utility (you can even double-click it, which should open files with the .zip type.
    3. See if you get an error.

If you do, then this particular file is, well, doomed. But even if that's the case, we may not be totally out of options. Do you have Time Machine or CCC or SuperDuper! backups of your data from before the cleaner accident?

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

There was no error. It output a different archive file with a .cpgz extension. Double-clicking that made a .zip file again.

I have no other backups for this file except what was pulled from the un-delete app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama: Ouch. I have no idea what that is. Lars and I were discussing this earlier, and I thought this was a good test to find out if the archive is just damaged...but this is not one of the outcomes I expected:

a. Good news
    Renaming
    1Password 2018-02-01 11_34_33 (2 profiles, 1597 items, 3 folders, 58 attachments).1p4_zip
    to
    1Password 2018-02-01 11_34_33 (2 profiles, 1597 items, 3 folders, 58 attachments).1p4.zip
    and double-clicking it extracts
    1Password 2018-02-01 11_34_33 (2 profiles, 1597 items, 3 folders, 58 attachments) (folder)

b. Bad news
    Renaming
    1Password 2018-02-01 11_34_33 (2 profiles, 1597 items, 3 folders, 58 attachments).1p4_zip
    to
    1Password 2018-02-01 11_34_33 (2 profiles, 1597 items, 3 folders, 58 attachments).1p4.zip
    and double-clicking it results in an error because the file is damaged.

So it does sound like it's damaged in your case, but in such a bizarre way as to make the macOS Archive Utility think that it's another type of archive, in a sort of matroshka-esque way.

Are you certain there is no other backup? 1Password saves these up to once per day and keeps them going back months. I have more than I need most times, and it seems really strange to me that you wouldn't. What is the full filename, since that will include item counts and dates?

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

The file name I have is "1Password 2018-04-06 17_08_01 (1 profiles, 201 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip". I'm certain there's no other backup, as this was stored locally, and not on a cloud or other provider on purpose. The file was restored using Disk Drill after I have discovered it had been deleted by the cleaner, Disk Doctor Pro.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama: What I mean is that if you have a Time Machine or other full disk backup you should be able to grab one of many .1p4_zip backup archives from 1Password's support folder. Here are the locations, depending on the version you were using:

Mac App Store version:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/
    AgileBits Store version:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Let me know what you find.

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Appreciate the clarity, however, I don't have Time Machine or any other full disk backup tool running on the machine that was using 1Password. So, it's lost... forever... I've been recreating it as the days go on, and as I need to work on some of the sites. So, it will be fine with enough time.

The Disk Doctor Pro app wiped out the contents of this folder:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

And I have no backup of that folder. So, yeah, lost forever. Thank you both for taking the time to investigate and work through this with me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama - ugh. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Some of these "cleaners" will give you a summary of what they think needs to be "cleaned," to allow you to include or exclude items...but others don't, and it can sometimes have truly catastrophic consequences. Good luck with re-creating things, and let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you.

• brandllama
    brandllama
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks, yes it did provide that list, but it never included this type of data before. Is what it is, and I will adjust my process accordingly. Again, thank you for the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama - :) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandllama: I'm really sorry to hear that, but the one good thing that came from losing data in a similar fashion myself years ago was that I am now obsessive about backing up everything. I still feel that pain just reading data loss accounts of you and others, and it brings back my own memory of when that happened to me as well; but I do find some solace in knowing that I'm doing all I can to avoid that happening to me in the future, and I hope you can as well.

This discussion has been closed.