I PW families; installing new client on spouse's new laptop

Options
CalfeeRider
CalfeeRider
Community Member

Our home was destroyed in the Sonoma County, CA fires Oct 8-9, 2017, We saved my laptop, iPad, and iPhone, and my wife's iPhone, but her laptop and iPad were consumed. She's purchased a new MacBook Pro and iPadPro. She's subsequently transferred information from her iPhone (7 Plus) to a new iPhone X, but she didn't have a backup of her iPad or previous MacBook Pro, so neither of them has her password information on them. Also, even though the 1Password app is installed on her new iPhone X, her passwords are stored in her Dropbox account, and this morning I was unable to get at her passwords from her phone because she no longer had access to her Dropbox. That was further confused because her Dropbox account was set up years ago when she was using a different (non-Apple ID) password. I think I managed to partially resolve that last issue (when we launch 1Password from her phone, we no longer trigger the opening of a dialog that tells us she has no access to Dropbox, but unfortunately the screen that opens on the iPhone is completely blank). So, at the moment we have NO access to any of her passwords, and we don't yet have the app installed on her new MacBook Pro.

I think my account is a "families" account. I can see my secret key from my Mac's "1Password>Preferences" menu item, but I cannot use that to log in to the my account on the web (I'm asked to enter my email, my secret key, and my 1PW password, but your help system says I should be able to RECOVER my secret key from two of them. That doesn't work.

I don't know how I should be installing (de novo) the 1Password Mac client on my wife's new MacBook Pro. The website says I can download and install a free trial. That we want, of course, is to download the client and sign in to her account.

Last issue is that the printed copies of our "emergency kits" were consumed in the fire. Can I recreate these (assuming a can get the app installed on her Mac and get her iOS devices to look in the right location in Dropbox for her password repository?

In other words, we're in a big MESS!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much,
Jim Robertson

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• CalfeeRider
    CalfeeRider
    Community Member
    Options

I've made a bit of progress. I managed to install the client as a 30 day trial on my wife's MacBook Pro, and the client on her MacBook Pro, where it found one account (our 1PW for families account). However, I think that her data in her Dropbox is all in her "Primary" account, which as I remember wasn't subsidiary to a families account but instead a "Primary" account not in the Families "tree." I don't want to mess this up while she has access at least from her laptop because right now she doesn't from her phone

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CalfeeRider: Thanks for getting in touch, Jim. I'm really sorry to hear about your house. I'm glad to hear you were able to rescue a few important things (and your family!) There isn't much I can do in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy to help you rebuild with regard to 1Password if I can. :blush:

As far as 1Password.com Emergency Kit and/or account credentials, you'll be able to retrieve these in the app/browser you've already authorized.

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

But that only applies if you'd been using a 1Password.com membership in the first place. So, if that's not the case, it's a matter of retrieving the data from a device where you still have access to it and syncing it to others.

I've made a bit of progress. I managed to install the client as a 30 day trial on my wife's MacBook Pro, and the client on her MacBook Pro, where it found one account (our 1PW for families account). However, I think that her data in her Dropbox is all in her "Primary" account, which as I remember wasn't subsidiary to a families account but instead a "Primary" account not in the Families "tree." I don't want to mess this up while she has access at least from her laptop because right now she doesn't from her phone

Correct. "Primary" isn't an "account" at all but a local vault stored only on that device, not associated with any account. Is that where she has all of here data currently?

This discussion has been closed.