To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Recommendations to prepare for moving from standalone to a family membership

Options
BMSorlie51
BMSorlie51
Community Member

I have finally decided to take the plunge and move to a membership but would appreciate some advice before beginning.

Background:

My wife has two personal vaults on her Windows 10 machine with an outdated primary vault. I have a current primary vault on a MacBook Pro, two iPhones and an iPad. All standalone versions of 1Password and device OS's are at the latest release. The MacBook syncs to the iPhones and iPad to keep them current.

Should I migrate my wife's two vaults to the MacBook before proceeding with a membership?

Once I purchase a membership, there is no need for me to ever download the versions from the Apple store but I will do all future downloads/updates from iPassword.com?

Does it make sense to export the vaults to csv text files in order to be safe beforehand ?

Do I need to completely remove 1Password from all devices before proceeding with the membership?

And finally, can I bypass the 30 day trial, pay the annual fee and proceed? The web site seems to suggest one starts with a 30 free trial though.

Sorry for all the questions but its just that 1Password is a major application for us.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @BMSorlie51,

Great to hear that you're taking the plunge. The water's beautiful.

Should I migrate my wife's two vaults to the MacBook before proceeding with a membership?

It would likely make things a little simpler as you could do the whole thing from the Mac then.

Once I purchase a membership, there is no need for me to ever download the versions from the Apple store but I will do all future downloads/updates from iPassword.com?

That's up to you, really. You can still download the app from the Mac App Store if that's your thing. If you prefer not to, that's fine too. Just pick one or the other and stick with it and it should be just fine.

Does it make sense to export the vaults to csv text files in order to be safe beforehand ?

Nah. 1Password for Mac has been doing backups for you. Should something go horribly wrong (it won't) you could restore from one of those.

Do I need to completely remove 1Password from all devices before proceeding with the membership?

Nope. In fact it's easier if you don't. We have a guide that walks through it and it assumes you've got data outside the account like you do.

And finally, can I bypass the 30 day trial, pay the annual fee and proceed? The web site seems to suggest one starts with a 30 free trial though.

You can punch in your credit card details immediately, but you won't be charged until after the 30 day trial has elapsed. By putting in the credit card details in, you'll be assured that when the trial ends you don't end up with a frozen account.

Sorry for all the questions but its just that 1Password is a major application for us.

You and me both! Don't hesitate to send us more questions. We're here to help.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.