migration to subscription

wintergreen
wintergreen
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I installed the 1p7 beta and decided, you know what, now is probably a good time to just switch over to a family subscription, rather than go for a standalone license (particularly as it seems I'd have to purchase separate windows and mac licenses :-1: ).

However, there did not seem to be a convenient path to do this, I've now settled on creating a trial account and migrating over from v6.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@wintergreen - I'm sorry - because it seems as if perhaps I've missed it - but I'm not quite sure what the problem is? You say you decided to try out the 1Password 7 for Mac beta (welcome!), and at the same time, switch your data from standalone (local) data to a 1password.com account (again, welcome!)?

Some of this will depend on what steps you took, in what order, but in general, if you switched first from version 6 to the beta of version 7, you'd have had to to download the full package installer for the beta, since it's not just an update to 1Password 6 for Mac, it's an entirely new version. When you rain it for the first time, the new version would've found your old data and imported it. From there, you'd have seen the following screen:

Because 1Password 7 for Mac is a new purchase, this screen offers you the choice of trying a membership (account), or purchasing a standalone license for the new version. If you choose the former (a membership), you get immediately taken to a web view within 1Password 7 for Mac itself:

From there, you'd have been asked for your email address, entered in the six-digit confirmation code, your name, and your Master Password (of your choice). You'd see a "building your account" message, then get prompted for your older Master Password from 1Password 6 for Mac. After entering it, your data would've been imported automatically, all in its respective vaults, identically-named and moved to your 1password.com account. And finally, you'd have been presented with your Setup Code (looks like a QR code) to use to scan into mobile devices or other instances of 1Password.

Can you tell me what about that you found not convenient? Or did you go about things a different way?

Either way, I'm glad to see you've got a 1password.com account set up now. At this point, if it isn't already, you can add your account to 1Password 7 for Mac, then migrate your existing standalone 1Password data to your account. Don't forget to delete the older 1Password 6 for Mac afterwards -- and remember: don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.

• wintergreen
    wintergreen
    Community Member

I think after playing around for this for a few days, I was looking for a way to just take my vault (on dropbox) and "convert" it to cloud-based/subscription. I actually ended up doing this with the windows version. I think it wasn't clear that I could have both a standalone and cloud-based vault at the same time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wintergreen

I think it wasn't clear that I could have both a standalone and cloud-based vault at the same time.

You definitely can. For most people, my question would be: "...but why would you want to?" But I can imagine scenarios where it would be anywhere between helpful and outright necessary.

Are you all set now? No loose ends or things you're still unclear or upset about?

• wintergreen
    wintergreen
    Community Member

I meant that what seemed to have happened to me was that I had both, but I didn't realise it. But yes, all set now thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wintergreen - that's good news - glad to hear it. Let us know if anything else crops up that you aren't sure about or need assistance with! :)

• maccassie
    maccassie
    Community Member

I made the mistake of clicking on Subscription but I actually need a license. How do I get back to that screen so I can? I uninstalled and reinstalled but I do not get that screen any longer

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@maccassie - did you actually sign up for a 1password.com account? Or did you just bypass that screen? Can you describe what you see now (or take a screenshot of it)? Thanks.

• maccassie
    maccassie
    Community Member

I was able to delete the subscription account I accidentally created and that got me back to the screen where I could enter my license! Thank you

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@maccassie - you're quite welcome! Glad things are squared away for you now. :)

• DavidGus
    DavidGus
    Community Member

Just to add some clarity around what's not clear in the user experience here:

• I'm asked to create a master password before there's any mention of an import/migration from 1password 6, so I'm then hesitant that the system is not aware of me having an old license to migrate. I'd suggest mentioning something on the "create master password" page... unless I missed it there?
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @DavidGus! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. To be clear, you don't have "an old license to migrate" unless you purchased 1Password 6 for Mac on or after March 29 of this year. Anything earlier than that, or a license for version 5 or 4, etc, will require the purchase of a new license to use 1Password 7 for Mac -- assuming you're sticking with the standalone license model.

The only time you'd be asked to create a Master Password would be if you decided to switch from a standalone setup to a 1password.com account during the upgrade process to 1Password 7 for Mac. Did you?

• DavidGus
    DavidGus
    Community Member

I had a 1password6 license but it was purchased before March 26 this year I'm pretty sure. I've now got a subscription. Thus it was a little confusing to enter what I think was a new master password. I'm not sure whether I was going through an upgrade process or what was happening. I've not got two vaults sitting in my accounts section, one is subscribed, one is on trial. Both have the same email address.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidGus - sorry for the delay in our response; I was off last week. If you have two different accounts signed up under the same email address, then they cannot both be individual accounts; one (or both) must be either 1Password Families or 1Password Teams. Could that be the case? If so, you'll want to remove the no-longer needed account. In 1Password 7 for Mac Preferences > Accounts, select the unused account and click the minus button in the lower left corner of the window to remove it from 1Password for Mac.

This discussion has been closed.