Firefox keyboard shortcut not working

Options

I've been using Safari with 1P successfully for years. I decided to try Firefox, but I've had trouble getting 1P to work well.

When I launch Firefox, a new blank window opens, and I press Cmd-\ (just like I do in Safari). The very first first time, this brings up the master password dialog. After entering my master password, the dialog dismisses, and nothing else pops up.

I hit Cmd-\ again, and nothing happens - no dropdown.

If I click on the 1P icon, it allows me to search-and-select an entry and it will go the the page and fill in the username and password as expected.

I had this trouble yesterday and today, and have since rebooted and restarted and uninstalled-then-reinstalled the plugin, all multiple times. No luck. Safari continues to work just fine.

Here is some debug output from Firefox (even though it says CHROME below):

1Password version 4.7.0 loaded @ Tue Apr 10 2018 20:23:06 GMT-0500 (CDT) global.min.js:117:396
Finished loading auth configuration. Processing callbacks. global.min.js:84:463
[CHROME]: Established connection to 1Password: [object NativeMessagingConnection] global.min.js:240:447
Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. ExtensionCommon.jsm:425
withLastError resource://gre/modules/ExtensionCommon.jsm:425:9
wrapPromise/< resource://gre/modules/ExtensionCommon.jsm:478:11

Safari (and the 1P mini) are working at the same time Firefox is not responding.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @sunrocktree,

So I'll start with the easy bit. The reason it says CHROME there is Firefox now shares a lot of common code with Chrome in our extension once we moved to the WebExtension model. Certain files they share in common haven't been updated to reflect this but only in the log text. We'll probably move to something a bit more generic that also better reflects it came from the 1Password extension.

Now that isn't why you contacted us. At the moment I haven't been able to reproduce the behaviour you're observing even though it does seem like you're saying it is consistent and readily reproducible for you. To see if we can pin down what might be happening I do have a couple of questions if that's okay. All of these questions require that you've reached this bad state and that ⌘\ is not responding as you expect it to.

1. When ⌘\ isn't working, does the alternative keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ result in the 1Password mini menu appearing?
    2. If you manually visit a sign-in form for a site 1Password knows about, does ⌘\ fill the page?
    3. If you switch to another application for a few seconds and then switch back to Firefox, does the page where ⌘\ wasn't working now result in the correct behaviour?

We're testing a couple of things here, anything I can think of that might narrow down what the issue is. Hopefully we learn something interesting.

• jasnrx
    jasnrx
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I've tried Firefox/1P on another computer. Initially, I thought it had the same results, but I started to realize on this second computer the keyboard shortcut works only if I've visited a site; it doesn't work on an empty tab. For the questions with regards to this second computer, all are "yes".

Again, this is on a second installation. I look forward to getting to the initial installation and answering your questions this evening.

Edit: I'll also need to straighten out these logins :|

• sunrocktree
    sunrocktree
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, back on my original computer. Answers:
    1. Yes, ⌥⌘\ works
    2. Yes, ⌘\ works if I visit the page first
    3. No, I still am unable to get ⌘\ to work on an empty tab.

So, I think the empty tab is the only case where ⌘\ doesn't work. At least I've got a working ⌥ "option" :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @sunrocktree,

Very odd. I'm currently at a loss to explain why we're seeing different behaviour. We'll have to keep an eye on this. At least the alternative keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ is helpful here. I confess I use that keyboard shortcut a lot, possibly more than ⌘\ because it allows me access to 1Password mini quickly for whatever reason.

This discussion has been closed.