Pondering if migrating to 1Password Families, have a few questions

paubala
paubala
Community Member

Hi!

Since the announcement of 1Password Beta 7, I've been wondering if it's time that my family and I move to the subscription service, since it would make sense financially (at least in the short term). I have a few questions though:

• Would I still be able to revert back to the standalone Mac and iOS app and migrate my data back? Would I be able to reinstall 1Password 6 (or even buy the standalone version of 1Password 7) and move my 1Password.com data to an iCloud synced vault as I'm doing now? I know there is a 1 month trial period for 1Password for Families, but every subscription decision for me needs to take into account my ability (or lack thereof) of reverting back if the time comes where I can't financially justify the cost (even if it's only for a period of time).
  • What happens with shared vaults via Dropbox? Can I keep using them, even if it's only through the Mac and iOS native apps and not through 1Password.com? I know that Dropbox support is spotty at best, but my wife and I use it constantly with other people. If not, what's the alternative within 1Password.com for non-family members? Is there still Dropbox support in 1Password 7 Beta (standalone or otherwise)?
  • Can you clarify how different are Documents from regular Attachments in 1Password.com and 1Password for Families?

Thanks a lot! I completely adore your product and have been evangelizing family, friends, and customers for ages. I simply need guidance on the best way for us going forward.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Since the announcement of 1Password Beta 7, I've been wondering if it's time that my family and I move to the subscription service, since it would make sense financially (at least in the short term). I have a few questions though:

@paubala: Sounds good. That's what we're here for! :chuffed:

Would I still be able to revert back to the standalone Mac and iOS app and migrate my data back? Would I be able to reinstall 1Password 6 (or even buy the standalone version of 1Password 7) and move my 1Password.com data to an iCloud synced vault as I'm doing now?

Yep! The one caveat is that some features in 1Password.com accounts do not exist in the standalone version and its local vaults. For example, you would not be able to copy Documents back directly. You'd need to export them and re-add the files as attachments to items.

I know there is a 1 month trial period for 1Password for Families, but every subscription decision for me needs to take into account my ability (or lack thereof) of reverting back if the time comes where I can't financially justify the cost (even if it's only for a period of time).

Totally. So it may be best to hang onto your original vaults temporarily while you evaluate the membership.

What happens with shared vaults via Dropbox? Can I keep using them, even if it's only through the Mac and iOS native apps and not through 1Password.com?

You can continue using those alongside a 1Password.com account. It just isn't recommended since that means you're still stuck juggling local vaults and their individual sync settings. It can be done though. I do it. Just not anything I'd suggest to someone else.

I know that Dropbox support is spotty at best, but my wife and I use it constantly with other people. If not, what's the alternative within 1Password.com for non-family members? Is there still Dropbox support in 1Password 7 Beta (standalone or otherwise)?

Yep! However, you may want to consider inviting folks as either full-fledged family members in the account, or as guests (which get access to a single 1Password.com vault to share with them).

Can you clarify how different are Documents from regular Attachments in 1Password.com and 1Password for Families?

Glad you asked, because I wouldn't want to bore you with the details otherwise! ;)

In all seriousness, attachments need to be, well...attached to other items. Documents are separate items in their own right, and each file you upload will be handled this way. You can link them to other items in 1Password for Mac (within the same vault), which gives some added flexibility. Personally, I'm glad I no longer have to bother creating some silly placeholder item when I just want to store a file securely. Documents make this much easier than attachments.

Thanks a lot! I completely adore your product and have been evangelizing family, friends, and customers for ages. I simply need guidance on the best way for us going forward.

Likewise, thanks for your support, and for checking out 1Password Families! Looking forward to hearing what you think, and am happy to answer any other questions you have along the way. :)

This discussion has been closed.