open and fill issue : 1password 7 and Firefox

valentincoindreau
valentincoindreau
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello there, since I've updated my desktop beta to v8, "open and fill" does send me to Firefox, but doesn't open a new tab, nor it sends me to the requested website. It does work with the extension though.
Thanks for your help and hard work, have a nice day.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-8 (70000008) AgileBit
Extension Version: 1.6.6
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:open and fill 1password 7 firefox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @valentincoindreau,

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, everything works except for when you click on the website field of a Login item from within the main 1Password window, is that correct? So if you invoke open and fill from the extension that is working?

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

Yup, this is exactly the problem

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @valentincoindreau,

Odd. Is the issue consistent regardless of whether Firefox is running? So does it fail if macOS first launches Firefox or if Firefox is already running, it just isn't the foreground application (because you're in 1Password)?

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

So I tried with Firefox running in the background, doesn't work. I quit Firefox then clicked on the link in the main app, it starts Firefox and opens a window with my last tabs, but no the new tab corresponding to the link I clicked on. Then I tried to put Safari (v 11.1) as my main browser, same result. This is a major functionality that must be broadly used, and it doesn't seem anyone has reported it yet, am I missing something ?

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

So I tried with Firefox (60.0b12) running in the background, doesn't work. I quit Firefox then clicked on the link in the main app, it starts Firefox and opens a window with my last tabs, but no the new tab corresponding to the link I clicked on. Then I tried to put Safari (v 11.1) as my main browser, same result. This is a major functionality that must be broadly used, and it doesn't seem anyone has reported it yet, am I missing something ?

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

I experience the same issue with Safari.

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

Oh, it sounds like a feature that didn't make it into the beta yet. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/421902/#Comment_421902

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@valentincoindreau as I'm using 1Password 8.BETA-8 with Firefox on macOS 10.13.4 (with the 1Password 4.7.1.3 extension in Firefox) and open and fill works perfectly for me I rather suspect your problem may arise as a result of using the beta version of Firefox that you have mentioned.

(I note in your original post you mentioned a rather strange extension version number. If you check in Firefox under Firefox > Tools > Add-ons what is the actual version number of the 1Password extension that you have?)

Stephen

• @Stephen_C,

1.6.6 sounds like the beta of 1Password X for Firefox. That extension doesn't work with 1Password 7.

@valentincoindreau,

You're going to need to install the 1Password extension from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions in order to use open and fill with Firefox and the 1Password 7 beta.

Rudy

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @rudy , I’m not sure to understand what you’re saying, as the problem comes from the desktop app and not the 1Password X extention which is running smoothly on Firefox. Is Open and Fill on the main app related to the browser extension ?
    Also, 1Password 7 beta and my extension beta are running perfectly together, at least in term of syncing (related to your response to @Stephen_C ).

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member

I hope I am not diluting the report, but in fact confirming it. I am running beta 8 of the desktop app and the extension and have even ensured that I have done a reboot (that one got me in the past), and from the desktop app when I click the "open and fill" option from an entry I can confirm that it does open Safari (my default browser) but that is where it stops. No new tab or loading of the requested page.

• rudy
    edited April 2018

@valentincoindreau,

Do you have two 1Password extensions installed then?

Open and Fill is absolutely reliant upon having the non-1Password X browser extension installed. 1Password X has zero integration with the native applications.

Rudy

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

Ok so on Firefox I only have 1Password X beta installed, which is causing the issue, correct ?
    But on safari i have the “regular” extension and it doesn’t work either, but if i understand correctly the thread that @nils_enevoldsen linked us to, open and fill has not been implemented on the 1Password 7 beta with safari ?

• @valentincoindreau 1Password 7 beta 8 actually has open and fill, so it should be working. 1Password X isn't the extension to use for 1Password 7 though, that's a standalone one that you can use without the 1Password app installed. In Safari, 1Password should be working properly. What happens when you try opening and filling a website? And what steps are you taking to do that?

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Using Firefox :
    -I open the 1password desktop app, click on the link sending me to the website corresponding to the login item, the system launches Firefox and opens the window, and then nothing. If I click again while the app is on, still nothing. 1password X hasn't been unlocked during this whole process.

Now setting Safari as my main browser :
    -Open 1password desktop app, click on the link sending me to the website corresponding to the login item, the system launches Safari and opens the window, and then nothing. But then if I click again on the link while Safari is on, it works and goes to the website in a new tab.

So I correct what I said earlier, it kinda works with Safari, but doesn't on Firefox.

My questions now are : can this issue have anything to do with the extension ? I feel that if 1password X is a standalone extension it shouldn't even be a part of the conversation, as the issue would mainly reside in the desktop app. Should I try a reboot of the desktop app ?

• rudy
    edited April 2018

@valentincoindreau,

The 1Password desktop application requires a companion browser extension in order to do open and fill. 1Password X is not that extension. Rebooting the desktop app won't have any bearing on this. The extension you need is on https://1password.com/browsers

Rudy

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

alright thanks a lot @rudy it's very clear now, I was having trouble grasping this link between the main app and the extension.
    Let's go back the good ol' extension then.
    Thank you all very much for your help, quick and efficient as always.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy, you are most welcome!It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• j_sh
    j_sh
    Community Member

I experienced this same issue with Firefox 59.0.2 / macOS 10.13.4 / 1PW 7.0b9. A new Firefox window opens but never navigates to the destination specified by the website field in the desktop app. This happens regardless of whether or not Firefox is running in the background or not, and the extension otherwise works perfectly fine when filling on the site (so it doesn't appear to be a global connectivity issue with the main app and extension, AFAICT - just something related to this particular functionality).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @j_sh,

What version of the 1Password extension do you have installed and when you say Firefox is in the background, does it have an open window?

• j_sh
    j_sh
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables: Extension version was 4.7.0.90. I just updated it to the beta version (4.7.1.3) and things appear to work (Firefox navigates to the page in a new tab and seems to (almost? may be a site-specific issue) autofill things.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@j_sh - thanks for the update; glad to hear updating to 4.7.1.3 has helped. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.