"Open and fill" doesn't work in 1Password 7 Beta 8

Options
randian
randian
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

If you click on the "open and fill" button for a login item the browser (Safari in this case) appears to do nothing but pop to the foreground. It doesn't actually load the page or, if you have "open in new tab" set, create a new tab for it.

1Password Version: 7 Beta 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Vault

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randian,

I have a couple of questions to see if we can pin this down.

1. Where do you have the 1Password 7 beta located? Anywhere but /Applications/ will mean the Safari extension fails to work.
    2. Is filling of an open page working i.e. is the issue limited to open-and-fill?
    3. Is open-and-fill consistently and repeatedly failing if you try again or is the issue sporadic?
  • HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

I'm having similar issues with Open and Fill. 1Password 7 is in my Applications folder.

I've tried multiple logins, completely quit out of 1Password, ⌘⌥⌃Q and quit Safari, multiple restarts as well.

I've noticed that 1P Mini loses focus of the front Safari window even while in it, meaning as I am on this forum if I use ⌥⌘\ it should show Agile Forums as the first item, but it doesn't, if I then click on the extension in Safari it shows Agile Forums as the default item, then if I activate 1P Mini again Agile forums is showing again.

As I typed that last paragraph then activated 1P Mini, it lost focus on Safari so Agile Forums no longer shows. (This was all in a matter of a few minutes)

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide for you!

Extension: 1Password 7.0.BETA-8
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: 1Password Account

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jcsully217,

It seems like you're possibly describing two potentially independent issues so I just want to make sure we understand. The majority of the post seems to relate to what is described in this other thread, Not filling in Safari and this is happening irrespective of open-and-fill, indeed if this issue occurs you can't even initiate open-and-fill from 1Password mini.

So I'd like to check a couple of things. Firstly, does everything that is described in that other thread tally with your own experiences?

Secondly, are you stating that along with the focus/missing Login items issue that you're also finding that if you initiate open-and-fill by clicking on the website field of a Login item that it:

1. Brings Safari to the foreground.
    2. Doesn't open the page.

Cheers!

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I think that other thread may be my issue as well, but I see it not open the page.

Here is a small screencast of what I am seeing happen: https://cl.ly/qtNo

The first part is when I navigate to the URL via the keyboard and click enter, which in 1Password 6 works perfectly. (Different Mac, don't worry) Then I try invoking it via clicking with the mouse.

At the 11 second mark, you can see 1Password being "brought" to the front (window doesn't appear but menubar changes) as I use the mouse to click.

If I am in the 1Password 7 main window and click on Open and Fill next to the URL, it opens Safari and doesn't load the page.

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

1) I have it in /Applications
    2) Regular fill works fine
    3) The failure is consistent and repeatable

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this issue, with the App in /Applications.

Additionally if I type CMD-\ in Safari, but need to login into 1Password first, auto-fill does not work. Only if I refresh the page in the browser and type CMD-\ again auto-fill will work.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this issue as well. The App is in /Applications. Open & fill is working 50% of the time for me.

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member
    Options

Same here and it does not work at all for me. Safari is main browser. I use Choosy for browser switching, though. I did not have any issue with 1Password 6.

• moabmatt
    moabmatt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. When I try to "open and fill" from within the app, my Mac switches to Safari but does not pull up the related website, Sometimes a blank tab opens. Other times, only Safari is front and center with no new tabs. The auto fill works from the the app within the browser (to the left of the address bar). The CMD-\ works the webpage is already open.

• I have it in Applications
    • The problem is repeatable
    • Problem is only with 1Password 7 Beta -8
    • I have tried a shutdown and restart and it does not fix the problem.

OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Similar problems here also. I notice when it doesn't bring up the URL in Safari, if I try to click on the 1Password mini icon it just locks up. Providing I then close the 1Pasword app, then in Activity Monitor, force quit 1Password 7 etc. and relaunch the main app, it all works again. So for me, it seems it's 1Password mini locking up rather than the Safari extension that causes the problem.

Let me know if I can provide any logs or run any diagnostics that would be useful.

OS Version: OSX 10.13.4

ref: MJL-44254-571

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

If you have not already please try updating to beta 9. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue there.

Thanks.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Open & Fill is still hit or miss in beta 9. Some entries work on the first time, others requires 3 or 4 tries.

• Ben
    Options

@iamecho

Is it always the same entries that work on the first attempt, vs ones that take multiple? I.e. does it appear this could be related to the entries themselves, or is it seemingly random?

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Random so far, but Bank of America, for example, is one that takes multiple tries. A new twist has started since beta 9. If Safari is open, any login that I try to open simply bounces me to the current safari page I am on. If I close Safai it's hit or miss if the website opens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: I've been having a heck of a time with Safari, but that's a new one to me. Does it happen with every attempt to open and fill a login for a different page than the one you're on? Are you doing this from the main 1Password window or 1Password mini?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty good morning! 90% of the time from the main 1P window. Open and fill is working about 1/3 of the time for me, but Safari must be closed for it to be successful.

• kenj
    kenj
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Moved my comment to new thread since this is still issue with beta-9.

• MortgageGod
    MortgageGod
    Community Member
    Options

I have some more to add to this...

From the UI, if you are in your vault/all Items and try and press the open and fill with the browser already open (Safari) then it will work. However, only the first time. To get it work each sequential time, you can either close and reopen Safari (too long) or just refresh the page, this seems to "reset" something and then it will work. You must however do this each time.

Hope that was clear.

• robdejonge
    robdejonge
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Note: Tried to look for the moved thread for this on beta 9, but can't find it. Figured adding here was better than adding a new thread.

Using Safari 11.1 as a default browser and BETA9, open and fill rarely works. 1Password open in main window (not mini, not extension), clicking "open and fill" does not have the expected result. It doesn't matter if I have a Safari window open or not, the URL of the selected login open or not, 1Password in the background or foreground, etc. 90% of the time when clicking the "open and fill" button, all it does is activate Safari but nothing more.

• etrahretep
    etrahretep
    Community Member
    Options

That's where mini or the extension is for....
    Why would you open up the app?

• kenj
    kenj
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi. The new thread I created since it's still happening in beta-9 is here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89160/open-and-fill-not-working-in-1pw7-beta-9-when-using-choosy#latest

My normal usage for logging into a site is to go to 1PW main window first, find the login (typically in my favorites section) and click "open and fill". My expectation with Choosy is that it will then prompt me for the browser. What I see instead is that 1PW "blinks" when I click the "open and fill" link but nothing happens.

In response to those suggesting going to the browser first, finding the site where you want to login, and than using the extension... that's more work. I find it easier to go to 1PW first (as explained in the preceding paragraph).

• vinibarauna
    vinibarauna
    Community Member
    Options

The autofill in the Alfred (3rd party) integration also doesn't work so I'm assuming it's related to this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For all those reporting intermittent success with open-and-fill and Safari, we do have a few reports filed and our developers are working on improving this. It's a horrible temporarily solution but I believe you will find that if you attempt open-and-fill for a second time promptly after it fails the first time you will find the second attempt works or at least significantly improves the likelihood of success. Safari is very aggressive about terminating part of the extension and there is an issue where 1Password forgets to complete open-and-fill if it has to wait for the extension to connect.

For now, make sure you allow 1Password to update if you're prompted and hopefully a new beta soon will correct this.

ref: apple-749

@kenj & @vinibarauna, you have very separate issues that aren't related to this even if they do share the common component of open-and-fill. We'll keep the discussion of those going in the other threads for now :smile:

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still getting problems with open-and-fill, although I'm seeing some kind of pattern. when I try to open-and-fill from 1Password App, Safari launches if previously quit or if open just brings Safari to the front, but does nothing, no new tab etc. I notice at the same time, if I try and Control click into a website field, 1Password is missing from the Service menu.

If I try a few more times, sometimes it works and then all others seem to work, although if the URTL Is a direct ip address, they need a couple more goes to get them to open a new tab and fill. I can almost always get it to work if I use the 1Password icon in Safari rather than from the App or the mini menu

• I have it in Applications
    • The problem is repeatable
    • Using 1Password 7 Beta -9
    • I have tried a shutdown and restart and it does not fix the problem.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mike of Oxford - thanks for reporting. The "missing from Services menu" bit is intentional; this functionality was removed because there are already plenty of other ways of invoking the 1Password extension helper. The rest of it we're aware of and continuing to work to improve as we get ready for 1Password 7 for Mac stable launch.

This discussion has been closed.