1Password 7 no longer syncs over HTTP proxy

mbesemann
mbesemann
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

For some reason I noticed that my 1Password 7 is no longer syncing with my HTTP proxy. I verified that I have internet connectivity through a browser and everything seems fine.

In the console, I get the following errors:

error HTTP 401 reponse {""errorCode"": 102, ""errorMessage"": ""Authentication required."", ""requestId"": 4767221} time: 629ms"

account id: 28; type: I; session id: network unavailable or not ready time: 379ms

Was something updated in the latest version regarding network connectivity?

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: 4.7.1.3
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• @mbesemann: A message like this should only appear when your device is offline. Is is possible that your proxy server or internet connection was down at the time? Windows does sometimes take a bit to get your network set up while waking from sleep or on first boot, but once it's available 1Password should recognize that and sync up.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@bundtkate The proxy seems to be working properly as I'm using it through my browser. It's an HTTP proxy running on port 8080 on localhost.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @mbesemann,

I have HTTP/HTTPS proxy as well and 1Password is working fine with it.

Just to be clear, you are able to access 1Password.com site in your browser, it is not being blocked by your proxy? Some users had 1Password.com incorrectly blocked by their proxy server.

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @MikeT,

I think I have a feeling about what's causing this (although strangely it didn't happen before). My proxy is actually SOCKS, but since 1Password doesn't support SOCKS proxies I had to use DeleGate (http://www.delegate.org/) to tunnel HTTP proxy requests to my SOCKS proxy. This might be causing added issues and latency. While I'm able to access the net just fine using either the SOCKS or HTTP proxies, when I try to do a test at http://www.speedtest.net/ it runs into a socket error on the upload using HTTP. Other speed tests such as https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest work fine up/down, but they might not use the same connection method.

Was something recently changed regarding the way 1Password connects to the server? As far as I know nothing has changed on my machine (even though it is a sub-optimal setup).

I will send a diagnostic report just in case.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

P.S.: Sent the diagnostic report.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @mbesemann,

Thanks, we got the email and will reply to it as soon as possible.

when I try to do a test at http://www.speedtest.net/ it runs into a socket error on the upload using HTTP

That is most likely the problem since we're connecting to 1Password.com service via HTTPS. Trying to route secure HTTPS connections via SOCKS/HTTP proxy may be problematic, it is not generally a supported configuration to do this and it can be considered as a security issue.

We'll see if we can test DeleGate and figure out why 1Password doesn't like it. If it can break our security checks to 1Password.com, we won't support or adapt it.

ref: PJR-51589-231

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@MikeT No problem, I fully understand that this is not a supported connection method.

I tried to simplify my setup a little bit, it turns out my SOCKS proxy also acts as a HTTP proxy out of the box. I removed DeleGate out of the equation and am simply using Bitvise SSH Client (https://www.bitvise.com/) with SOCKS/HTTP Proxy Forwarding enabled. However, I still can't get a connection. This method also seems to break HTTP websites, and only allow HTTPS.

It's too bad I won't be able to sync at my office computer anymore (the corporate proxy is restrictive and only allows HTTP traffic, no TCP socket connections). Is there another option for me other than periodically copying a 1Password keychain to my machine? Dropbox is blocked here as well.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @mbesemann,

However, I still can't get a connection. This method also seems to break HTTP websites, and only allow HTTPS.

And we only allow HTTPS. 1Password gets the proxy information from Windows, so if it is sending us the wrong data, we cannot connect directly. Have you tried entering the proxy server information in 1Password's Advanced settings?

It's too bad I won't be able to sync at my office computer anymore (the corporate proxy is restrictive and only allows HTTP traffic, no TCP socket connections)

That's utterly shocking. No company should be blocking HTTPS and only allow HTTP, that's incredibly silly and massively bad for security. 🤕

Not going to have much internet left as majority of the industry is going to push all sites to HTTPS and block HTTP, which is awesome for privacy and security reasons.

Is there another option for me other than periodically copying a 1Password keychain to my machine? Dropbox is blocked here as well.

Unfortunately, for companies like this, that is the only option. It is not the first time we're dealing with this either, even before 1Password.com service exists, this was a common thing people had to do with standalone vaults.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

That's utterly shocking. No company should be blocking HTTPS and only allow HTTP, that's incredibly silly and massively bad for security. 🤕

Sorry I meant HTTP traffic in general (including HTTPS). Apps that use ports other than 80 and 443 generally cannot connect to the Internet.

Thanks again for your help, I will try to figure something out.

Cheers!

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @mbesemann,

1Password only connects on one port, 443 (HTTPS) via 1Password.com.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@MikeT Good to know. However, it seems like my organization still has ways of distinguishing web browser traffic from other applications as it is denying 1Password's connection.

• @mbesemann, that doesn't sound right, it should still work. In your 1Password proxy settings, do you see any IP address as requested by Neil in the email? Let's move this to the email and not have two separate conversations going at the same time.

The problem is that Windows do not consistently send us the proxy details, so sometime you have to force it.

This discussion has been closed.