Struggles with 1Password 7 Beta

Options
BrisbaneMango
BrisbaneMango
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Apologies if my technical terms are a little awry here! I am using the following 1Password apps:

● 1Password version 4.6.2.626 installed on 3 Windows 10 Pro x64 machines
● 1Password for iOS (latest version) installed on iPhone 7 and iPad Pro
● Using '.agilekeychain' vault with ~300 items which is synced via Dropbox

I decided to give 1Password 7 Beta a go. Here's what I did:

● Backed up my Dropbox .agilekeychain vault
● Removed 1Password v4 from one of my Windows 10 machines
● Installed 1Password v7.0.532BETA on the Windows 10 machine
● On running 1Password 7 for the first time (sorry, this is where things get a little hazy) I was prompted to upgrade from my Dropbox vault from '.agilekeychain' to '.opvault', so I did
● 1Password 7 then ran happily on the Windows 10 machine

Then the problems began...

I opened 1Password for iOS on my iPhone and found that it was still using the old .agilekeychain vault, so I tried to point it to the new .opvault. 1Password wouldn't allow me to simply repoint the app to the .opvault - it prompted me to merge my existing, local vault with the new .opvault. I hoped that my vault's entries would be de-duplicated but unfortunately that wasn't the case - the number of items in my .opvault doubled from 300 to 600 as all items were duplicated.

This is where panic set in and I removed 1Password 7 Beta and re-installed 1Password 4, recovered my old .agilekeychain vault from backup and everything returned to normal.

If I do decide to try again how should I redirect the iOS apps to use the upgraded .opvault in my Dropbox and (crucially) avoid duplication of items?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626 and 7.0.532BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Window 10 Pro and iOS 11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @BrisbaneMango,

Thanks for writing in.

We do apologize for the panic but yes, you would need to remove the original AgileKeychain vault from the iOS (and macOS) version of 1Password and open the OPVault directly. They're not copies of the same vault but two separate and different vaults, so they can't be merged.

We're working on a better approach for this but for now, if you only have one vault in the iOS version, then you have to reinstall the iOS app and then have it point at your OPVault since you can't remove the primary vault easily.

Do you have more than one vault in the iOS app?

• BrisbaneMango
    BrisbaneMango
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the prompt response.

I had just one vault - an AgileKeychain vault in Dropbox which was being used by all devices (Windows and iOS).

I've just summoned up the courage to have another go at this and things appear to be going better. I've done the following:

● Exported the entries in my AgileKeychain vault to a .1pif file
    ● Created a new OPVault in my Dropbox
    ● Imported the items from the .1pif file
    ● 1Password v4 now happily running on my Windows machine using the OPVault in Dropbox

I then tried to get 1Password on my iPhone to use the new OPVault. I disabled synching in the iOS app and then re-enabled it and was prompted to select which vault to use. If I selected the new OPVault I would get the following dialog after a few seconds' delay:

Tapping 'More Information' showed the following:

At that point I decided not to proceed. I then removed 1Password from my iPhone, reinstalled it and chose the new OPVault from Dropbox as my vault. Touch wood, all appears to be working.

The next step is to retry the installation of 1Password 7 Beta. I'll try that tomorrow and will let you know the outcome.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @BrisbaneMango,

That's great to hear. Hopefully, you'll have a better experience with 1Password 7 tomorrow with the OPVault folder now.

If there is anything else we can do for you, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.