Does Subscription work from iOS 7? [outdated OSes are not supported]

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited April 2018 in iOS

I had an old iPhone 4 (non s) iOS 7.1.2 returned back to me and need to clean it up. Most of my data are now in subscription.

Going to have to start creating a new OPVault vault.

Comments

• ToInfinityandBeyond
    ToInfinityandBeyond
    Community Member
    Options

Good evening,

Hi @wkleem, I too like you have an old iPhone. Unfortunately, for us retro users, the 1Password application that's currently available in the App Store requires iOS 11.0 or later to work. In addition, the oldest generation of iPhone supported goes back to 5s or later. If there's any other way to get your iPhone to work with the app that I don't know about, @brenty @Ben can help you more.

-ToInfinity&Beyond

• Ben
    Options

We cannot recommend the use of iOS 7 on a device connected to the internet. It is no longer supported by Apple and does not receive security updates.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I could use it as a recovery device then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately, for us retro users, the 1Password application that's currently available in the App Store requires iOS 11.0 or later to work. In addition, the oldest generation of iPhone supported goes back to 5s or later. If there's any other way to get your iPhone to work with the app that I don't know about, @brenty @Ben can help you more.

@ToInfinityandBeyond: Technically 1Password version 6.9.1 is available on iOS 9 and 10, and that should work. But, as Ben mentioned, we don't recommend using an outdated OS/browser at all, and in the future outdated versions of 1Password won't be able to communicate with the server anyway as we continue to improve things there, since they won't be receiving updates to remain compatible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks! I could use it as a recovery device then.

@wkleem: Generally speaking, I'm not sure that's a good idea since the OS and browser on an old device will have known vulnerabilities. But I am curious what exactly you have in mind for a "recovery device". Just TOTP?

• ToInfinityandBeyond
    ToInfinityandBeyond
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info @brenty , duly noted. By the way, I tried to locate the version 6.9.1. without success —I searched for it using an iPhone 4s iOS version 9.3.5. The version that appears in the App Store for me is the new one. Like you said, it will be unwise to use the older versions; but, just for the sake of doing the exercise, I was not able to find it.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

I thought I might try with the device as a Duo or Google/Microsoft Authenticator. Cannot do much with it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Gotcha. Yeah, if it's literally just generating a TOTP code for you, I think that's just fine. However, not sure about Duo push, since those require a connection and there are known security vulnerabilities with that on old versions of iOS. They may not be affected though, depending on how they're connecting, so I'd check with them. Also I am uncertain what Duo's app status is on old OSes in general. Worth looking into.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks for the info @brenty , duly noted. By the way, I tried to locate the version 6.9.1. without success —I searched for it using an iPhone 4s iOS version 9.3.5. The version that appears in the App Store for me is the new one. Like you said, it will be unwise to use the older versions; but, just for the sake of doing the exercise, I was not able to find it.

@ToInfinityandBeyond: You won't be able to "locate" old versions of any apps, as the App Store doesn't support that. You'll have to have the current version of 1Password in your Apple ID's purchase history, and, when you try to install it from there on an unsupported device, it will offer you a compatible version if one is available. In the case of 1Password, on iOS 9 or 10, that will be version 6.9.1. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.