Reinstalling Mac - need to understand 1Password recovery method

Options
JDG500
JDG500
Community Member

I have a MacBook Pro on which I run 1Password (v 6.8.8 for Mac Family License) which I am going to need to do a clean reinstall. While this is happening I will be using my old MacBook Pro temporarily to which I would like to transfer 1Password. I would like to ensure that, in this switch I do not loose 1Password. There are various places to log in which require a Secret Password, which I do not seem to have but could be stored in my CloudChain.

Can I just download 1Password on the temporary Mac and recover from iCloud or is there something I should do before wiping out my Mac for reinstall?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JDG500: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! There is no "password recovery" with 1Password. That would be a serious loophole that people other than you could use to get your data.

It also sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

Since it sounds like you're using iCloud, why not sync your 1Password data that way? I'm not sure what you mean by "temporary Mac", but if you'll explain more about what you're trying to do maybe I can suggest something. Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• JDG500
    JDG500
    Community Member
    Options

Temporary Mac because I have resorted to my old Mac as by new Mac is being reinstalled from scratch. I managed to download 1Password onto this temporary Mac and connect to my existing vault through the iCloud connectivity. All good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, gotcha! Glad to hear all is well then. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.