1password 7.0 beta discount and other questions

malikN
malikN
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, I recently downloaded 1password 7.x beta, the latest version at the time of writing.

I love the new interface and will definitely buy it when it is released proper as I am distrustful of the cloud; I have a couple of questions however.

1) how do I register my email address in order to be eligible for the advertised discount price?

2) i have imported a vault using my dropbox account, can you confirm that this vault isn't uploaded anywhere i.e. 1password servers etc.

and finally

3) is it free to use the beta version until the final release?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.0.539
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10, latest
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @malikN,

Thank you for getting in touch! I moved your post to Windows Beta, I hope you don't mind. :)

1) how do I register my email address in order to be eligible for the advertised discount price?

If you joined beta and started using it, there is nothing else you should do to get a discount. In one of the future updates for 1Password 7 for Windows (the one you are using now) an upgrade window will appear, giving you the opportunity to purchase your license for just $39.99.

2) i have imported a vault using my dropbox account, can you confirm that this vault isn't uploaded anywhere i.e. 1password servers etc.

If you didn't sign up for 1Password account and started using a local vault (synced via Dropbox) in 1Password 7 Beta for Windows, your data is stored locally. You can also see local vaults in All Vaults list:

3) is it free to use the beta version until the final release?

Yes, yes it is. However, please share your feedback with us, it is really appreciated and helps us get better. :)

Let me know if you have other questions, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• malikN
    malikN
    Community Member

There is so much to say Greg, I don't know where to begin. I will provide some background on how I am using it with the hope that it will help others in a similar situation. I own 1password on ios and windows and use it on three devices, an iPhone, Windows desktop PC and Surface Pro (2017). The IOS release does not suffer from many of the problems in v4 stand alone on windows.

My main issues with the current stand-alone release are with its interface; text and menu appear too small or blurry on new tablet devices, many of which run a super high resolution in a small form factor. This isn't limited to 1password V4, quite a few legacy apps suffer from this flaw.

In addition, 1password v4 is not compatible with a touch interface i.e. clicking on a field results in nothing happening. For example, when creating a new entry, it is necessary to manually load the keyboard on my surface pro in order to touch type; it should be automatic i.e. the keyboard should pop up when touching a text field.

Windows Hello fingerprint or face recognition is also lacking on V4, this isn't typically a problem on my desktop pc as I am an adept typer but it is annoying on a tablet.

Only dropbox is supported.

I have drawn a line in order to contrast what i felt were issues with version 4 and whether they have been overcome in 1Password 7.

The interface is massively improved, no longer do I have to squint or mess around with DPI settings in order to read field entries and menu options. THANK YOU! This is true on my Desktop PC and MORE importantly my surface pro (2017). The latter is more important as portable devices are increasingly incorporating super high def resolutions into small form factors. please note, none of these were issues with the ios release.

TOUCH UI is now recognised by default on my surface pro (2017), yaay! It now works as it does on IOS, on selecting a touch field with my finger, the keyboard pops up anticipating user input. touch scrolling works too!

Windows Hello compatibility built in! not so much of an issue on my desktop pc but on my surface pro, oh my it is so much more efficient.

Folder synchronisation is amazing, we are now free to use any cloud-based service.

Final thoughts, though I refer to my surface pro a lot during the guide I imagine the same would apply to ANY portable device with a touch interface running Windows 10 e.g. HP spectre etc.

Even in its incomplete (beta) form, it is the best password manager available. I cannot recommend it enough, it is THE password manager for windows on ANY device.

p.s. is there a way to backup a vault? In version 4 there was an option accessible from the main menu.

• Hi @malikN,

Wow, that's an amazing feedback, thank you so much for that.

p.s. is there a way to backup a vault? In version 4 there was an option accessible from the main menu.

Currently for 1Password 7 betas, it is already backing up all standalone vaults you add. Starting with Beta 5, we've moved them to their own directory, which you can find by opening File Explorer and entering this in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups

This discussion has been closed.