Duplicate 1Password Mini icons

Options
CraigN
CraigN
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've noticed after updating to 1Password 7.0.BETA-8 that suddenly I have two 1Password Mini icons in the menu bar. Opening 1Password 6 and disabling the 1Password Mini for v6 disables it for v7 as well.

Firstly is this expected behaviour?
Secondly should I have both 1PW6 and 1PW7beta installed next to each other? If not, what is the recommended way of removing 1PW6?

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-8
Extension Version: 4.7.1.3
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @CraigN,

The 1Password 7 beta installer should be removing 1Password 6. Could you please try re-running it and see if that happens now? You can download the installer here:

1Password for Mac Release Notes

Ben

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member
    Options

I have the 1Password 7 beta as well, @CraigN , and I had the same experience. I believe you can run this way indefinitely, but I uninstalled v6. You can always reinstall later if you want to drop the beta, particularly if you are syncing everything. I guess I'd be extra careful if you have any local vaults.

To uninstall, simply move 1Password logo1Password 6.app from the Applications folder to the Trash after quitting completely. There's a support article with instructions here, but of course you should stop after the very first bit, since you probably don't want to be getting rid of any 1Password data.

Hope this helps,

Adam

• CraigN
    CraigN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

I re-installed 1Password 7 beta 8 as you suggested and 1Password 6 is still installed under Applications. What exactly do you mean it should remove 1Password 6? It did seem to stop the 1Password 6 Mini from appearing though.

Thanks @AdamP for the link. I'll monitor it and report back if I need to follow the manual uninstall instructions.

• Ben
    Options

The installer is supposed to zip up 1Password 6 so that it can’t be run without being unzipped. I’ll follow up with development and see if this is still the intention or not. Thanks.

Ben

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I didn't realize @Ben was already on the case while I was posting my response.

• Ben
    Options

No worries. :)

Ben

• CraigN
    CraigN
    Community Member
    Options

What is interesting is that there is a zip file created on the 10th April 2018 but its not "1Password 6.app.zip", rather "1Password 7.app.zip".

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

It may just be taking the first 1Password app it finds... I’ll follow up with development and see what the deal is. :)

Ben

ref: apple-28

• j_sh
    j_sh
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Installed 7.0B9 on two systems the other day. Both left 1Password 6 installed in the Applications directory and with launch tasks enabled. There is no zip file of the older version, so something isn't right. ;)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks. I’m waiting to hear back from development about what the desired state is here... I know we had some back and fourth on it internally.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.