Offline Vault Issue

Options
2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

So I downloaded the latest beta. All excited that they finally have offline vaults to stay out of my privacy. Yet, I cannot figure out how to create an offline vault. The only way I have found is to make an online vault and then it lets me make an offline vault that is then unlocked with my master password which is just my online account password. I don't understand how to have an offline vault that does not have any link to online services at all. The whole point in an offline vault is to avoid any security risks associated with third parties having ANY information about my passwords, including master password hashes or account passwords, or security keys, or ANYTHING.

Is there some way to create an offline vault without EVER logging in or even having internet turned on?

1Password Version: 7.0.539
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Are you going to also make it so you can make a stand alone vault without ever making an online account first so that the key generated will be from that instead of the online account to begin with?

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn,

Thanks for writing in. I’ve merged your posts into the same thread here since they’re related questions.

When you open 1Password 7 for the first time, you can create a new vault via the 1Password menu > New vault on this PC. We just added this support in yesterday’s 7.0.539 Beta 5 update. We have not yet started on the redesign for the welcome tour, it only mentions about opening existing vaults and/or signing in to your 1Password account.

If 1Password 7 starts with the locked view becauase you originally tried 1Password.com in the past with 1Password 6, installing or reinstalling 1Password 7 would not change the local database, it’ll continue to have that information. You’d want to rename the local database with this instruction, so you can start over. From there, go to the 1Password Menu to create that first standalone vault.

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

"When you open 1Password 7 for the first time, you can create a new vault via the 1Password menu > New vault on this PC. We just added this support in yesterday’s 7.0.539 Beta 5 update."

@MikeT This is not the behavior I am seeing with .539

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Good catch and my apologies for the wrong information. When I was testing this, it was in fact enabled and ready but it turned out we've disabled it prior to the release of beta 5 update. So, at this point, 1Password 7 Beta does not yet support creating new standalone vaults without adding an existing local vault first or sign in to 1Password.com account. It's coming soon.

You can work around this by creating a new OPVault in 1Password 4 and use that to open in 1Password 7.

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT OK, thank you for the work around. That at least will get me started so I don't burn my 30 day trial waiting :)

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

No problem. Again, we do apologize for the confusion. We'll get that fixed soon.

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT wait... is wlan sync coming back in 1password 7???

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I just found a blog talking about how you guys removed this from 1p7 and it's not being added. So after all the begging for local vaults, you guys cut out the only way to sync to our devices. Perfect.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi,

We didn't remove WLAN Sync from 1Password 7, we haven't implemented it. 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 are two separate codebases. We are looking to hearing from our users about WLAN sync and so far there aren't many users using WLAN Sync with 1Password and it questions where we should spend our resources for 1Password 7 on Windows. You can share your thoughts in this thread here.

Note that we do support Folder Sync, so you can store your 1Password standalone vaults in any folder on the drive that's synced by a third party tool. Unfortunately, 1Password on Android with Folder Sync is not yet ready to accept OPVault files but it is planned. iOS cannot support Folder Sync due to its security model but hopefully, Apple will extend their Files app to allow a way for this to happen.

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Just stop development on local vaults. You guys are purposely choking them out. For you guys to not give us a way to sync them to our phones (specifically iphone) local vaults are 100% useless in a real-life case scenario.

Also, you guys do not track customer usage in the app, and also the link you mention above is buried deep into the thread about it. It's not even in the primary post about it. So, if you're basing that on "hrmmm... well, doesn't look like many people want it!" that's just plain negligence. So much so it almost feels like it's being done on purpose.

I have been waiting for 1p7 for years. I am literally a customer that WANTS to pay you for this product and get rid of the free keepass product I'm using. But you guys keep making decisions left and right to turn away customers.

As I mentioned in that thread you linked above, it's 2018, it's insane to me that a company doesn't have this solution yet.

So let me ask you, what's your solution for me to use local vaults in 1p7 with my PC and iPhone? Just "oh well?"

• MikeT
    Options

So let me ask you, what's your solution for me to use local vaults in 1p7 with my PC and iPhone?

Depends, if you do not want any cloud service such as Dropbox, then, there's no current offline configuration that will work with 1Password 7 Beta for Windows for now. You can only use 1Password 4 for Windows or other product you're using until we can add WLAN sync in a future update.

We're not saying it will never happen, we're saying we're not going to push 1Password 7 for Windows back to support WLAN Sync that requires a lot of time and resources but we do need to hear from our WLAN sync customers about why this is important for them. Would having Folder Sync work for them? A lot of our former WLAN Sync customers actually switched to Folder Sync because it is more reliable and consistent since they only use Windows and Android. Now, this isn't the case yet for 1Password 7 for Windows because we're waiting on 1Password for Android team to add OPVault support via Folder Sync. It's already possible to use OPVault via Dropbox between 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password for Android right now.

Just to be clear, we cannot port the same WLAN sync from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7 on Windows, it has to be built up from the ground. This could easily consume the same amount of time that it is taking us to build the local vaults into 1Password 7, nearly a year after 1Password 6's release.

The reason that you don't find many companies offering WLAN sync is because of the same reason, WLAN sync is one of the hardest and most complex sync to support. WLAN was never designed for app-data sync, it was designed to carry traffic between endpoints in the network but not direct app to app communications.

Apple tried to support WLAN sync for their iOS devices via iTunes and it took several years and it still doesn't work really well.

Just stop development on local vaults. You guys are purposely choking them out.

Just because WLAN sync isn't implemented yet, does not mean people cannot use local vaults. Majority of our 1Password 4 customers that we deal with uses Dropbox, not WLAN Sync. Others use CloudStation, Resilio Sync etc to sync their vaults and a lot uses it with 1Password on Android (not at the moment with OPVaults). WLAN Sync is still available in 1Password 4 stable for Windows and it is still available in 1Password 7 beta for macOS. We're not taking them away.

local vaults are 100% useless in a real-life case scenario.

Despite the fact that we've just dealt with many users using local vaults via Dropbox, I'm sorry but that isn't the case for them.

We won't be able to meet everyone's requirements for the first release but we're not going to hold back the release of 1Password 7 because of that. 1Password 7.0 is just the first release, we will continue to add more features and maybe, one day, it will be WLAN sync.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

The best thing you can do to help us prioritize WLAN sync above others is to sign up for our newsletter that will keep us people informed the progress on WLAN sync support in 1Password 7 for Windows. We do in fact use that newsletter as a factor but not the only factor. You're more than welcome to share it to other people that wants the same support.

We're not yet marketing it because we're still working on 1Password 7 for Windows, it's still not done with local vault support and our focus is on that right now.

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

"Depends, if you do not want any cloud service such as Dropbox, then, there's no current offline configuration that will work with 1Password 7 Beta for Windows for now."

Do you not understand that the entire reason people wanted local vaults is to mitigate cloud services? So, implementing local vaults then suggesting cloud services to sync them is pretty humorous.

And no, I don't want to use dropbox (you know the service that got hacked.) I have a synology so I wouldn't mind using DS File to copy the db to my iphone, but this doesn't solve the issue of syncing back to my PC.

I mean this whole conversation is pointless. It's clear your application isn't for me. If you guys have the customer base you want and are happy with the customers you have then I'm just in the minority and need to accept that. I've uninstalled 1password. I guess in a couple of years I will check around to see if I can once and for all ditch keepass.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Do you not understand that the entire reason people wanted local vaults is to mitigate cloud services? So, implementing local vaults then suggesting cloud services to sync them is pretty humorous.

We absolutely do understand but we disagree that it is the entire reason, it is one of the reasons, yes but it is not the sole reason.

We've talked to thousands of users over the last year when we first released 1Password 6 for Windows without support for local vaults, initially for 1Password.com memberships only. Even people with 1Password.com memberships want local vaults. We understand various reasons but the number of people that only wants standalone vaults to avoid cloud service completely are trumped by other reasons, company polices, regulations, prefer to use their own cloud service, want total control of their data, etc. WLAN sync was not even in the top ten.

We have millions of users, most of them are not using 1Password to avoid syncing with cloud services. They want standalone vaults for various reason, you have one reason, which we do understand and yes, it means 1Password 7 for Windows cannot meet your requirements right now. We still want to add WLAN sync and hopefully, it'll happen.

We have a product that many of them can use right now but it wouldn't be fair to not release this because it doesn't include WLAN sync for some. It also doesn't make sense to do WLAN sync for a few or no users if Folder Sync could be used and/or it take resources away from developing other features that would benefit everyone.

I have a synology so I wouldn't mind using DS File to copy the db to my iphone, but this doesn't solve the issue of syncing back to my PC.

You can use CloudStation also (Synology sync client) to sync vaults between any computers and any devices that can use Synology apps. The problem on iOS is that because of the way Files app work on iOS, it does not permit any iOS app to sync to external folders in both directions. We're hoping Apple will change this eventually and if they do, Folder Sync can be used in a more reliable method against WLAN sync.

I mean this whole conversation is pointless.

I know it feels like that to you, but it really isn't. Thank you for your time, we really appreciate it. Hopefully, we'll have something for you in the near future.

This discussion has been closed.