Licensing questions for v7 release

Options
robdejonge
robdejonge
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Currently running 1Password 6 on a standalone license.
I'll upgrade to v7 when you release, no doubt.

Three questions:
1) Is there any functional difference between the MAS version and the standalone version?
2) For standalone versions, would I need to buy standalone for iOS and macOS separately?
3) In your blog post, you wrote that a standalone version can now be obtained for $39.99 and which I assume will give me v7 when it is released. Is this correct, and if so, where can I find it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @robdejonge,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

1. There are two places 1Password 6 for Mac can currently be downloaded from: our website, and the Mac App Store. The software is the same from either, and both can be used as part of a 1Password membership or in ‘standalone mode.’ It remains to be seen what the options in this regard will be when v7 is released. As the Mac App Store doesn’t support beta software the v7 beta is only obtainable through us directly. The differences between membership and standalone are highlighted here: https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ If you haven’t tried out membership I’d recommend doing so. We offer a 30 day free trial.
    2. 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS are sold separately unless using a 1Password membership (in which case the latest versions of both are included).
    3. This special pricing is available to folks who are going to help us beta test 1Password 7 for Mac. It is not intended for folks who aren’t willing to put up with and report bugs and other usability difficulties. If you fall into the former category you can purchase a license within the 1Password 7 for Mac beta software. That is the only way to make the purchase.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• robdejonge
    robdejonge
    Community Member
    Options

I got myself a beta license and already found a bug! Yay!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

You rock! Thanks for participating in the beta. :) :+1:

• robdejonge
    robdejonge
    Community Member
    Options

Slightly disappointed to find out that 2FA is now turning out to be only available in the membership tier and not the standalone license. No promises were made otherwise, but still.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robdejonge: We've been pretty clear for years now that two-factor authentication isn't coming to local vaults. It's impossible to add a second factor of authentication where no authentication exists. They're stored only on the device you create them on; there is no server component involved. So we'd have to build a server and host...wait, that's what 1Password.com is. ;) But in all seriousness, if you sync with Dropbox, they offer two-factor authentication for their service. It isn't quite the same thing, but that's been available for years. Food for thought. :)

• robdejonge
    robdejonge
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty For some reason, I was under the impression that there was no difference in features between the standalone and the subscription version of the application. Hence the disappointment. A friend of mine refused to sign up for 1Password, despite my raving about it for years, due to the lack of 2FA. He told me yesterday that you had implemented it and he had signed up for an account. I got excited about it and ... then disappointed.

I sync through iCloud and I do have 2FA on there. But like you said, it's not really the same thing as it doesn't prevent someone who somehow got his/her hands on my vault and password, to open that vault on a new device.

In the end, I might have made a different decision if I had known 2FA would be available in the subscription version of the application. But because I thought the versions were the same, I took the deal of signing up for the beta and saving a few bucks over the lifetime of the version. My bad!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For some reason, I was under the impression that there was no difference in features between the standalone and the subscription version of the application. Hence the disappointment. A friend of mine refused to sign up for 1Password, despite my raving about it for years, due to the lack of 2FA. He told me yesterday that you had implemented it and he had signed up for an account. I got excited about it and ... then disappointed.

@robdejonge: There is no difference between the app whether you purchase a license or subscribe -- it's literally the same app in both cases. But you're talking about an account-level feature that depends on the 1Password.com service to function. Similar to Travel Mode, automatic offsite backup, intra-account sharing and recovery, the web interface, and a number of other features that depend on the hosted service, it simply isn't possible to do online two-factor authentication with an offline vault. That's just the reality. :(

I sync through iCloud and I do have 2FA on there. But like you said, it's not really the same thing as it doesn't prevent someone who somehow got his/her hands on my vault and password, to open that vault on a new device.

Hmm. Yes and no. Certainly it isn't exactly the same, but I think there are two things you're missing here:

• Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. We're not counting on someone not being able to get your encrypted data for it to remain secure. What prevents someone who "got his/her hands on my vault and password" from being able to "open that vault on a new device" is your Master Password.
    • But in order for them to get the encrypted vault from iCloud, they'd still need to be able to sign into your iCloud account, so two-factor authentication can help with that.

In the end, I might have made a different decision if I had known 2FA would be available in the subscription version of the application. But because I thought the versions were the same, I took the deal of signing up for the beta and saving a few bucks over the lifetime of the version. My bad!

It doesn't have to be that way! If you're thinking you might prefer a different setup, shoot us an email at sales@1password.com so we can go over the options with you to find something you can enjoy, and not have buyer's remorse. That's no way to live. :)

• robdejonge
    robdejonge
    Community Member
    Options

I've emailed sales, thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robdejonge: Great! If you'll give me the Support ID you received, I'll be happy to take a look myself and/or poke someone for you if it isn't something I have an immediate answer for. :)

This discussion has been closed.