1PW7 large font pop up password viewer does not support passwords longer than 33 characters

Options
Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Was testing a friend's new RSS service website, and their supported password length was too small. Which led us down a discussion of what length passwords should be generally accepted. We referred to NIST standards, and their recommendations were nothing smaller than 8 characters, and up to 64 characters.

So after that convo, I tested 1PW7 and found that your generated password feature supports up to 64 characters. Manually, I am able to add to that length, which is good. The issue I noted was with the large font password view.

The large font password view cuts off at 33 characters.

For my BAU, this is not a problem, but for the application at a conceptual level, would be nice if the large font password view was dynamically resized to support visualizing at least 64 characters. This would bring the large font view and the generated password max length in line with NIST recommendations.

1Password Version: 1Password 7.0.539
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thanks for reporting this.

Just in case anyone thinks this, we're not intentionally cutting it off at any specific character, it's just how many it can fit on your monitor at the font size it has. You can always use the mouse wheel or hover over to grab the scrollbar.

We are looking into dynamically resizing to the minimal font size to fit as much as we can and then split onto two lines. We've tried it before it wasn't as easy as it sounds. We'll get this improved in a future update and we also want to adjust the colors a bit to make it more contrasting.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Ahhhhh.... I have looked at the large size password feature a handful of times and I didn't notice the scroll bar at all!

The pop up appears with the scroll bar transparent. The scroll bar itself is quite narrow, light in color, and if the mouse cursor does not park in the exact right vertical 2 millimeters, really easy to miss. Maybe if the scroll bar was blue instead of gray? The gray on gray does not help.

Also, since the mouse cursor is on the right hand side of the screen to click the Aa button, my eye is tracked to the right and a bit up and even if my mouse drops through the pop up box's bottom 2ml, my eye missed the scroll bar feature because the scroll bar appears on the left hand side of screen, when it appears.

If technically possible, I'd suggest adding a wider (4ml is standard on Windows) non-transparent scroll bar in a different color. Generally speaking, the scroll bar widths across the entire app are really too narrow for my clumsy hands. This however is the only spot that the app standard scroll bar was unexpected and overlooked.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thanks for the extra feedback.

The pop up appears with the scroll bar transparent. The scroll bar itself is quite narrow, light in color, and if the mouse cursor does not park in the exact right vertical 2 millimeters, really easy to miss. Maybe if the scroll bar was blue instead of gray? The gray on gray does not help.

This is because we have a global style for the scollbar, it works mostly great in the main 1Password window and 1Password mini but we haven't refreshed Large Type feature yet with the evolving 1Password 7 design.

We are hoping to refresh the Large Type feature in its entirety, we'll keep your feedback in mind when we work on this.

This discussion has been closed.