Not retaining/restoring expanded/collapsed sidebar categories/tags/Watchtower when closed/reopened

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leon Guan: Definitely try repairing permissions with the 1Password Troubleshooting Tool, restarting your Mac, and booting into recovery mode to use Disk Utility. I'm just not seeing that here; 1Password remembers my window size and position. So I wonder if something is preventing this from being saved on your system.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

Beta 16 forgot the size and location of its main window in my environment, too.
    But after just restarting my Mac, it got back to normal.
    Leon Guan, please restart your mac and see what will happen.

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member
    Options

I can also confirm that size and location was not saved for me. Just tried the Troubleshooting tool to repair the permissions and it seems that fixed it for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ondrejfuhrer: Aha! Thanks for letting me know, both that you had the same issue and that helped. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ojix2: Thanks for sharing that! Hopefully that helps Leon as well. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! :) :+1:

• Jacob
    Options

@Leon Guan Glad to hear it! The categories issue is a different one that we're still working on. :) It should be fixed soon.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Unfortunately the bug persists and there is no change in the app behavior. The Categories and Tags section are still collapsed upon re-launch of the main app unless one checks Lock when main window is closed in preferences.

1Password Version: Version 7 Beta 18
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: 10.13.5. Beta (17F70a)
    Sync Type: 1PW Account

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

+1
    I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour as @OAW.

The Categories and Tags etc. sections only remain open after logging into 1P beta 18, if you simply close then reopen the main app the sidebar items are closed.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

For me (macOS 10.13.4 with 1Password 7 beta 18) the Categories section appears to remember its state (i.e., I have it expanded and it's always now expanded when I unlock or restart 1Password 7). However, the expanded state of Smart Folders is never remembered.

I did reboot before experimenting with this and it made no difference.

Stephen

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

I just re-read what I quickly wrote above...(I wish I could say English was my second language*) :)

When I said "logging in" I should have said "unlocking".

• English is my second language...if you class gibberish as my first!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob,

No improvement with B18 despite the notes say the bug had been solved

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

Same as HRD. No improvement regarding categories and Tags menu with beta 18.

So I first tried repairing permissions with troubleshooting tool, with no success.
    Then I tried simple restarting Mac, again no improvement.
    Next I tried safe boot, and then First Aid with Disk Utility, both in vain.

macOS 10.13.4

How about other guys ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HRD: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you try my suggestions above?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ojix2: I was definitely having this problem until beta 18, but 1Password is remembering which sidebar items were expanded when I restart it now. Thanks for letting me know you tried that. I'm sorry that it didn't help in your case. What about Watchtower? It may help to wipe out 1Password's preferences in case those are simply damaged. Is that something you'd be willing to try?

ref: apple-768

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me, categories are still always collapsed when I open 1P (7.0.BETA-18).

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

I did it doesn't resolve the issue on both of my Macs.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, Watchtower menu also collapses on restart. Same situation on my two Macs.
    As for wiping out the preferences, I would like to think about it after seeing whether beta 18 has actually solved the problem for other people reading this thread.

• kecinzer
    kecinzer
    Community Member
    Options

Same here on beta 18. Categories are always collpased after reopen my windows. This drives me crazy :). It will be fine to categories and tags stay that I lieve it - expanded.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I also had the problem of the sidebar state not being remembered. Beta 18 fixed the problem for me, but only if the preference of locking after exit is enabled. When 1Password stays unlocked after closing the main window, Watchtower, Categories and Tags are all collapsed after a restart.

I ran the troubleshooting utility and repaired permissions, and restarted my Mac, to no effect.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @Xe997,
    The behavior of beta 18 you mentioned seems to be same as what @OAW reported about beta 9 on April21 up here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I also had the problem of the sidebar state not being remembered. Beta 18 fixed the problem for me, but only if the preference of locking after exit is enabled. When 1Password stays unlocked after closing the main window, Watchtower, Categories and Tags are all collapsed after a restart. I ran the troubleshooting utility and repaired permissions, and restarted my Mac, to no effect.

@Xe997: Thanks for letting us know! Just to clarify, what do you mean by "locking after exit is enabled"? if you're referring to 1Password Preferences > Security > Lock when main window is closed, I have that enabled and the sidebar state is being remembered for me. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ojix2, @kecinzer, @HRD, @thibaut, @Leon Guan, @OAW: Thank you all for letting me know that beta 18 does not solve the issue for you. I've passed this along to the team so we can investigate further. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just re-read what I quickly wrote above...(I wish I could say English was my second language*) :)
    When I said "logging in" I should have said "unlocking".
    • English is my second language...if you class gibberish as my first!

@TonyHall: Thank you for this! :lol:

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    Could you tell us what if you disable “Lock when main window is closed” ?
    Because of the reason I mentioned on May 7 up here, I keep the setting unchecked.
    I have been doing so from the very beginning, and there was no problem before.
    i.e., the sidebar categories and tags did not collapse upon restart even when “Lock when main window is closed” was unchecked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ojix2: Unfortunately I always have that setting disabled. I did double check it now just to be sure, but both when enabling it and disabling it again 1Password is remembering the sidebar state for me now in beta 18. :(

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! Just to clarify, what do you mean by "locking after exit is enabled"? if you're referring to 1Password Preferences > Security > Lock when main window is closed, I have that enabled and the sidebar state is being remembered for me. :(

@brenty Yes, exactly, with exit I meant when the main window is closed. With the option Lock when main window is closed enabled, the sidebar state is remembered as expected. Problem is, I prefer to keep 1Password unlocked when closing the main window so it's not a good workaround for me.

But I have to add, I'm not sure if beta 18 actually changed anything to me, because I never tried to toggle that option in earlier betas.

The behavior of beta 18 you mentioned seems to be same as what @OAW reported about beta 9 on April21 up here.

@ojix2 Indeed, it was that post that made me try to toggle that security option and discover it as a workaround. So I might have been to quick to jump to the conclusion that beta 18 fixed my problem.

This discussion has been closed.