Not retaining/restoring expanded/collapsed sidebar categories/tags/Watchtower when closed/reopened

Options

Comments

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,
    Thank you. I have no idea why the behavior of beta 18 differs among users.
    FYI, I am using a standalone version of 1Password instead of subscription one. Is there any possibility that it affects the app’s behaviors ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you. I have no idea why the behavior of beta 18 differs among users.

@ojix2: Gosh, I wish I knew too! :sweat:

FYI, I am using a standalone version of 1Password instead of subscription one. Is there any possibility that it affects the app’s behaviors ?

I appreciate you bringing that up. It's something we'll have to look into further.

@ojix2, @kecinzer, @HRD, @thibaut, @Leon Guan, @OAW, @Stephen_C: Are any of you also using 1Password 7 without a 1Password.com membership? We'll see if there's any commonality there.

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'm also using 1P without a 1Password.com membership (I sync via Dropbox).

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I’m using 1PW with a subscription account.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1Password with a 1Password.com account as well, no standalone vault is setup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hmm. Thanks, folks. That lead isn't looking very promising. :ohnoes:

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty yes I am using the standalone version of the 1Password 7 beta.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Stephen! I guess it's good to know that both standalone and accounts are affected. Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution that resolves this for everyone shortly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting me know, Leon!

• lifjoy
    lifjoy
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks. FYI, these issues are still unresolved in 7.0.BETA-18 (70000018). Just reporting back since betas are now at the FC stage.

• duncanbrook
    duncanbrook
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to those saying they're surprised that this most basic of issues still isn't fixed. I'd thought, with something so simple still broken, that we must be several months away from a release — but then I saw the @1password Twitter account teasing v7 and "Release Candidate" popping up in the update changelog. The "new" middle-of-the-screen mini is only a few betas old, and the main interface of the basic application can't remember where it last was ... are you guys sure now's the time to rush towards a release?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lifjoy: It's working for me finally in the latest beta, but we have heard from others that this isn't fully resolved. We'll continue to work on a fix. Thanks for your patience!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

+1 to those saying they're surprised that this most basic of issues still isn't fixed. I'd thought, with something so simple still broken, that we must be several months away from a release — but then I saw the @1password Twitter account teasing v7 and "Release Candidate" popping up in the update changelog.

@duncanbrook: We did fix it, but apparently this didn't help everyone. So we're continuing to work on it. But this isn't a showstopper like a security vulnerability or a crasher. We'll get it fixed one way or the other, but living in the 21st century means we don't have to make a gold master and ship off pressed discs in boxes (boy do I remember that!); we can ship an update as soon as we have another fix for those still affected. :)

The "new" middle-of-the-screen mini is only a few betas old, and the main interface of the basic application can't remember where it last was ... are you guys sure now's the time to rush towards a release?

That's not actually true. The "new" 1Password mini is only new to you. We considered not revealing it publicly until the 7.0 lunch, but wanted to give our awesome beta testers a sneak peek. ;)

• duncanbrook
    duncanbrook
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty, while I see both where you're coming from and that you meant your reply here to be positive & friendly, I think you're not hearing me on the importance of this simple-yet-vital ongoing issue. I'll try to be more demonstrative; maybe it'll help. Please pass this feedback up the chain, ok?

Hahaha you paid actual money to beta test our product
    Now you are reminding us that a fundamental element of your workflow has always been and still is broken
    Every time you open our app, you must reconfigure its window; isn't that an awesome game?
    Every single time! What a well-built app! Fun!
    We're living in the 21st century!

O BTW have you heard about tags & categories?
    They're great shortcuts to get to the most important items in your vault
    — probably a feature you'd use whenever you use the app!
    Every! Single! Time!
    Sort of vital!
    Soooooo guess what!
    We got you another sweet game; are you excited?
    About those those awesome shortcuts...
    We're going to re-hide them each time you need to use them!
    — because, at AgileBits, we turn shortcuts into longcuts!
    We know this is happening to lots of people
    It makes us cackle with glee
    You should see all the glee, so much glee being cackled
    Aren't we delightful?

We used to value rock-solid mastery of both the basics & the complexity
    Now: LOLZ we're gonna ship anyway; how bout that?
    We're not satisfied until you grind your teeth every time you think of us!
    Mmmm AgileBits, tastes like little bits of tooth
    1Password: high in calcium!
    ToothBits!

Now, dear user, we know we can't ...keep an ordered list open...
    Sidebars are really hard, guys!
    C'mon, we're like the first people to do a sidebar ever
    Saved UI state ... c'mon be serious that's practically science fiction
    Probably won't have that computer technology until like the 1980s

BUT, and this is IMPORTANT, we can completely, 100%, winkwink promise you:
    We're supa on top of advanced security & encryption
    All your logins & credit cards & passport scans & the secret about how Uncle Bob isn't actually your uncle?
    We've got that.
    We've totally got it.
    In our app.
    Seriously, we've got all your most important secret information in our app.

You're not approaching this with the right frame of mind!
    Don't mind the falling-over, boarded-up, burned-down facade on the street —
    Inside we're a five-star hotel!
    Big ol' safe behind the check-in desk, the newest most swankiest security technology
    We know that simple, fundamental aspects of our app don't work, sure,
    but we're supa not gonna screw that other stuff up!
    You can totes trust us!

Remember:
    We'd like you to know that we don't consider your problem to be a "showstopper"
    Every time you use our app, it's broken in the most fundamental way
    We say: minor bug!
    Practically a feature!

We've been telling you we're aware of the problem and will address it, but actually:
    LOL we already have your money maybe we'll fix it later!
    Maybe we won't!

We should win an award!
    AgileBits for President!

• duncanbrook
    duncanbrook
    Community Member
    Options

+1, still broken for me in beta 18.
    I argue in another thread that this issue is important

• Ben
    Options

Merged. Thanks for the feedback. We don’t in any way feel this bug is unimportant, but we’re not going to hold up the 7.0 release for it.

Ben

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

For me, just as @OAW reported, the Lock main window when closed security preference seems to be the key trigger on whether the window sizing and section collapsed/expanded status being preserved between launches. No, it should not affect it, but it does. Yes, it means that you must re-enter your password on each launch until it is fixed if you absolutely have to have this feature during the beta. It does seem that since this bug and the kludge fix are reproducible that it should be something that the developers should be able to address since they have thus far been able to create a beautiful application.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

HI @elDub,

Thanks - useful tip.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elDub thanks for pointing that out. Sadly, I am unable to replicate the sidebar expansion states not retaining on the latest beta, and I have the "Lock when main window is closed" unchecked.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@jadchaar I'm the one who first posted the Lock when main window is closed work-around. So I'm not sure what the underlying issue is when it comes to why AgileBits thought the issue was resolved but I and several others are not seeing any change. 1PW standalone license vs subscription? macOS official release vs beta? Single vs multiple vaults? As an IT Product Manager I fully recognize how inconsistent bugs are among the hardest to isolate and resolve. The only thing I know for sure is that for whatever reason that particular preference is definitely involved for those of us who are still experiencing this issue. Hopefully that will be a clue you guys can follow to determine an overall resolution.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OAW I agree--it is definitely a frustrating experience trying to nail-down the exact problem, especially with so many variables at play. We appreciate the work-around you mentioned and have relayed this information to the Mac development team.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Still seeing this in the release of 7.0... Too bad, I really hoped that it’d be fixed before going out of beta. The sidebar is one of the most visible changes, for it to have such a significant bug on initial releases is a problem.

• Ben
    Options

The great thing about no longer shipping software on physical media is that issues can be addressed relatively quickly, even after a "final release." :)

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Although I am using the useful workaround this bug should have been fixed before version 7 was shipped.

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure I understand why the "release" version was actually released, given the lengthy list of bugs still present in 1P v6. :lol:

• sardina266
    sardina266
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to this list of those frustrated by this bug. I recognize it's not security-related, but a pretty glaring UI bug.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sardina266,

I couldn't agree more. They have pushed this release out too soon.

• Ben
    Options

@HRD

You've made your position quite clear. We respectfully disagree, and will continue to push regular updates to 1Password 7. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.