Read Only

Options
etfaver
etfaver
Community Member

I purchased 1Password two years ago and it worked great. I had a new hard drive installed in my MacBook Air and tried to restore 1Password on my new drive. However, now when it opens, it shows that it is "read only", thus not allowing me to edit my account. You don't have a support phone number, which make it very frustrating, because your program somehow locked my out. I called your company phone number, but of course went straight to voicemail. Not very customer friendly. Please tell me how to change from "read only" to editable.

Etienne

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

How did you originally purchase 1Password? If you purchased a license directly from AgileBits, you must download and install the version from their site and then apply your license. If you purchased it from the Mac App Store, make sure you're using the same Apple ID that was originally used when you purchased it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@etfaver: Indeed. Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information. And with the Mac App Store, the only way that happens is by using the Apple ID where you bought the app. So if you didn't pay for 1Password there, you'll need to drag that to the Trash, restart your Mac, and install the AgileBits Store version instead.

But the good news is that then all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. In that spirit, I've also resent your license information via email. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• markcleugh
    markcleugh
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same issue. New computer, reinstalled stand alone licensed version of 1Password7, redownloaded from the App Store and now everything is "read only."

The only email I can find from AgileBits is from my original purchase in 2009 and that link doesn't work anymore. Please help. Please send license file and I'll get the app from AgileBits and redo.

Thank you.

• Donaldd
    Donaldd
    Community Member
    Options

@markcleugh Hi! The App Store version of 1Password 7 is "subscriptions only". If you have the license for the standalone version of 1Password 7, you need to download the app from 1Password Website: https://1password.com/downloads/

Source: https://blog.1password.com/getting-1password-7-ready-for-the-mac-app-store/

Donaldd

• In addition to what Donaldd mentioned if you do plan to continue to use 1Password standalone 1Password 7 requires a new separate license from any previous purchases. Licenses do not include upgrades, generally, which is one thing that makes membership attractive.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@markcleugh: However, it sounds like you may have purchased an earlier version of 1Password through Apple. You can always install that from your purchase history:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

That just won't include newer versions, as those are a separate purchase without a 1Password membership.

• markcleugh
    markcleugh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks bretny, you were right, what I had on my old machine is 1Password 6. I have 1Password7 on my IOS devices.

So I checked out my App Store purchase history and there is no purchase for version 6 so I must've bought it from your website but I have the same issue with the email – the only one I have is from 2009 and the license link is no good anymore. Can you please resend?

On another note, I would like to upgrade to 1Password7 on this shiny new computer, is it a free upgrade from 6? If not, how do I buy the stand alone? It's very difficult to find on your website as it seems to be all about the subscription.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@markcleugh: Ah yep. Done. From your earlier comments I'd thought that you'd purchased from the App Store. Check your email and I think that you'll be all set, but let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :)

• speakerscoach
    speakerscoach
    Community Member
    Options

you said "if you do plan to continue to use 1Password standalone 1Password 7 requires a new separate license from any previous purchases" how do I get a separate license ?? I paid $70 to buy 1PW originally and Im not interested in any on-going monthly subscription that ties me down forever and a day. the question is: how do I get rid of read-only so I can edit ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@speakerscoach: You'll need to purchase a license for 1Password for Mac version 7 to remove the "read only" limitation. You can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Cheers! :)

• speakerscoach
    speakerscoach
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I paid $70 to buy 1PW originally and Im ******not interested in any on-going monthly subscription that ties me down forever and a day******. the question is: how do I get rid of read-only so I can edit ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@speakerscoach: Please read my reply immediately preceding your most recent comments. :)

• speakerscoach
    speakerscoach
    Community Member
    Options

goodness me you are guys are crucifying yourself. you are making the same big mistake Weebly did when they tried to change the deal - and then they had to eat humble pie & grandfathered all the previous clients - so only new subscribers had to pay. I DONT WANT A MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!! I want to use 1PW as I did before I tried out the useless one month trial then u FROZE my account. Tell how to return to my stand alone and stop trying to push me to spend more $$$

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018
    Options

@speakerscoach: Sorry, but I'm not sure you've actually read my earlier reply still:

You'll need to purchase a license for 1Password for Mac version 7 to remove the "read only" limitation. You can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Alternatively you can not use the new version and just continue using what you paid for. If you have a question about something, let me know.

• speakerscoach
    speakerscoach
    Community Member
    Options

of course I read it mate. HOW DO I CONTINUE USING WHAT I PAID FOR ??????????????????? I couldn't care about the 'new' version - the old version was just fine - where do I get the OLD version from ?????????? just be direct - answer my query - stop wasting my time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@speakerscoach: Okay, that's not fair. You didn't ask that. Your question was, "how do I get rid of read-only so I can edit ?" And I did answer that directly. I can only answer the questions you ask. I'm sorry, but I can't read your mind! :dizzy:

If you purchased 1Password, you'll have an email receipt for that. Just install the version you paid for. While 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information, the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in that same license email to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. Let me know how it goes. :)

• speakerscoach
    speakerscoach
    Community Member
    Options

WHY are you making this so damn difficult ????????? Ive already been here & got the reply " you purchased 1Password from the App Store. These purchases don't have licenses associated with them as they are instead tied to your Apple ID. Provided you are signed in with the same Apple ID that you used to originally purchase 1Password when it is reinstalled, that serves as your registration." so how do I download the version before 1PW7 and all its extra expenses ??? Just wanna get on with my work but Ive spent hours trying to get a straight answer but still no further .... unbelievable

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@speakerscoach: Sorry, but I don't think I'm the one making it difficult. Again, I am not a mind reader! Your previous comments here don't even mention the App Store. If that's where you purchased it, you will need to install it from your App Store purchase history:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

It sounds like you're already aware of how the App Store works though, so I'm not sure why you feel all the ranting is necessary. :blush:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Just for the record, though 1PW7 is a new purchase, upgrades from 1PW4 to 1PW5 and 1PW5 to 1PW6 were free. So (though I am not sure quite how the App Store works) even though you don't have an App Store receipt for 1PW6, you may have a receipt for an earlier version from the App Store.

And if you do want to buy a licence for 1PW7 rather than a sub, you need to buy 1PW direct from AgileBits, as the App Store version is subscription only.

If you upgraded to 1PW7, this should have provided you with a zipped version of 1PW6, still in the Applications folder. Trash 1PW7 (you need to quit it COMPLETELY, by ctl-option-cmd-Q, not just cmd-Q), empty the trash, unzip the zipped 1PW6 and you should be good to go.

By the way, if you did get 1PW from the App Store, though it is not available for new purchases, you should see in the tab showing your Purchased items.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• billmichaud
    billmichaud
    Community Member
    Options

WOW. Up until today I can report that I have been a big proponent and supporter for 1Password. I have recommended it to so many people. And I have used it for years. And now ....

So where am I? I received a message from 1Password that I should update 1Password to 7. Nothing more than that (no heads up on what happens next!). But I had great faith and belief in 1Password. I was confident that 1Password would not mess me up. So I did upgrade the program to 7. Then the nightmare began. Your suggestions: Go find out where you bought it, find a secret key, log on to a member account (which I do not have to the best of my knowledge and now matter ... I can't connect to see if I do have on or that I need to register for get one because I don't have a secret key!) and I just finished rereading this epistle on the subject of "read only and can't edit and I tell that this has got me no where. Problem is mine unless I agree to pay again. Nope!

Next stop for me is the internet to go look to see who your competition is and what alternative password program I can look into purchasing.

• agile_ruby
    agile_ruby
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with read only items. I purchase 1Password 7.3 via FastSpring 10/12/2019 and I received a message and link to up grade to 1Password 7.4.4 which I did and as a result all my items are read only. Please advise.

• itinsley
    itinsley
    Community Member
    Options

I paid for 1password on the basis I didn't need a subscription and it would last forever. Every single upgrade or time I get a new device it gets harder and harder to get it working - and I get this stupid advertisement telling me to buy the subscription every time I use it. I would never pay for a subscription for 1password on principle alone. The whole point of it was that it was a one-off purchase.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@agile_ruby - sorry for the trouble! Did you perhaps download 7.4 from the Mac App Store instead of from us? You can check with 1Password as the active app by clicking 1Password > About.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @itinsley! The version of 1Password for Mac you paid for does indeed "last forever": you can use the license you purchased to authorize (license) the version you purchased it for, for as long as you have versions of macOS and hardware on which it will run. But like most software, licenses are per-version; they don't work for all future versions we haven't even developed yet. You don't need a subscription to use 1Password 7 for Mac; you can purchase a new standalone license for the new version right from within the app itself by clicking the link in the purchase options window that says "need a license? We have those too." Our suggestion is a 1password.com membership/account, for multiple reasons, but the choice is yours. Let us know if you have any questions.

• agile_ruby
    agile_ruby
    Community Member
    Options

That is exactly what happened! When I received the notice to up grade, I upgraded from my app. This was discovered when I sent my information to support. They sent me the steps to avoid this mishap in the future as well as the instructions for up grading to 1Password 7.4.3. Lars, thank-you for your concern, and interest - this is why I have been a satisfied 1Password User for almost 15 years!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@agile_ruby - glad to hear it! And thanks for the kind words. :)

This discussion has been closed.