1Password beta 5 backup does not exist

dwk
dwk
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,
I just updated to beta 5 and one of the changelogs says that backup will be stored in 1password folder within appdata. I travelled to the location but couldn’t find the backup folder.

Comments

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Unless something needs to trigger the backup, this does look correct. All I have there is a bunch of icons (PNG files). Nothing like the daily backup files. That's %appdata%. %localappdata% has only an opx4.auth file from August.... ?

• Hi @Dwk,

Thanks for writing in.

Did you make a change to that vault first in 1Password 7? It'll run a backup after a change is made. Your original backups will remain next to your vault but new backups are in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups directory.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

@MikeT, I did find the backups in 1Password.. wasn't expecting that, since there are AgileBits folders everywhere! :)

• :) We're working on adding a view to 1Password Settings to let you view the backups made and to quickly navigate you there.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Thanks for the update! Should something at some point clean up the AgileBits old data? Not that it really matters with all the stuff in appdata...

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Thanks for the fast reply.
    I tried making some changes in the vault but still can't see backups folder within 'username/appdata/local/1password'.

Is there any way for me to trigger backup process myself ?

• Hi guys,

@leesweet

Should something at some point clean up the AgileBits old data? Not that it really matters with all the stuff in appdata...

No, there isn't any automatic cleanup process, you'd want to move or delete them if you don't want them anymore.

@dwk:

I tried making some changes in the vault but still can't see backups folder within 'username/appdata/local/1password'.

Can you create a new folder called backups in there and then make a change, I wonder if 1Password was refused permission to create it.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Thanks, just wanted to be sure they were obsolete with version 7!

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

They are, no one starting with the first 1Password 7 stable release will see these files outside of the 1Password directory.

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member

I still cannot get 1Password to make backup files.....
    Not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong....

• Hi @dwk,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I fixed the problem by enabling Folder Sync.
    When Folder Sync is enabled, whatever changes I make will be saved to the 'backups' folder.

I also noticed that when I use password generator through 1password mini, it will be saved to my vault at 'password' category.
    But, when Folder Sync is disabled(when I delete opvault folder), it no longer saves any passwords generated by password generator and it also no longer saves any changes to 'backups' folder.

Is this nolmal ?
    I thought 1password.opvault folder is only intended to enable sync between other devices starting with 1password 7 and therefore it is not necessarily needed.

• Hi @dwk,

Thanks for the details.

I fixed the problem by enabling Folder Sync.

I should've mentioned that in my first post, thanks for letting us know.

But, when Folder Sync is disabled(when I delete opvault folder), it no longer saves any passwords generated by password generator and it also no longer saves any changes to 'backups' folder.

Just to be clear, this vault was set as the default vault for saving new items to and you've disabled folder sync, 1Password didn't save any new items to this vault?

I disabled Folder Sync for this vault that was the default and 1Password mini continues to save new password items to this vault without any issues.

Did you disable folder sync for this vault or did you just delete the folder and left it like that?

I thought 1password.opvault folder is only intended to enable sync between other devices starting with 1password 7 and therefore it is not necessarily needed.

At the moment, it is needed for the folder backups. We do not have the backup process for the local database implemented yet, since 1Password.com data are backed up on our service. Right now, we're just backing up your existing OPVault folders which is the standard for 1Password 4 for Windows as well. After that, we'll expand to cover the whole database but we need a bit more time to finish this.

This discussion has been closed.