Access my account online.

Options
isd503
isd503
Community Member
edited April 2018 in Mac

I used to be able to access my account online. Now I need a Secret Password to access it online? Is this some brilliant idea someone at Agile Bits had to create another revenue stream by hosing existing customers down?

Are we now being forced to pay extra to house our passwords online?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

ref: IPD-54329-161

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

How, when and where did you access your passwords online?

A very long time ago one could access online passwords stored in Dropbox But Dropbox removed that option several years ago (it was their decision, not AgileBits). Since then I know of no way to access passwords online until the recent subscription model.

And a secret key has always been part of the subscription. There's a lot to be said for subscription, many users have changed, though some still prefer the old licence. But with the licence there has been no way to access passwords online for some years.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@isd503: Indeed, I'm sorry for the confusion. Prior to the introduction of 1Password.com memberships (starting with the 1Password for Teams beta in late 2015), we had never hosted anyone's encrypted 1Password data, so it could it be accessed through our website.

It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership since then. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault if you just want to use 1Password on a new device. Just keep in mind that will only work for the version you've purchased.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Laur59
    Laur59
    Community Member
    Options

From what I remember of 1Password6 it was possible to copy the folder Library/Application\ Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain on a web server and then have access on line to you passwords, secure notes, ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Laur59 - that was a feature called 1PasswordAnywhere, and it was originally designed as part of the Agile Keychain rollout in 2009. It's been retired for several years now, due to changes made by Dropbox to what APIs they would support, as well as our own development of 1password.com membership.

To be clear: 1PasswordAnywhere no longer works, is no longer supported, and the older Agile Keychain format itself has been formally retired in 1Password 7 for Mac. Even if you're still using an older version of 1Password for Mac such as 6, you should definitely convert your sync keychain from the legacy Agile Keychain format into the newer OPVault format. Instructions for how to do that can be found here.

This discussion has been closed.