"On this PC" vs I just Signed up for 1Password Family

Options
TimeDoctor
TimeDoctor
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

While moving to the beta versions of 1P for macOS and Windows I finally gave in and started using the cloud-based sync solution. It's not great, but that's OK, it works. Now, with 7.0.540 I have saved a few new logins in the plugin for Firefox, but then when I searched for them the plugin wouldn't find them, odd but I've experienced this before, they must have gone to a different vault. Imagine my surprise when I open the freshly updated 1Password and find a vaults tab that lists in addition to my family vaults (private and shared) an "On this PC" vault. What is that? Why would I want that? I'm signed up for your service, I don't want anything saved there, I don't even want a separate local vault, and now i have to trawl through my passwords to figure out which ones are in the right place. I know this is pre-release software, so I expect to have some bumps in the road, and this will probably be messaged better later in the beta, but please don't introduce yet another vault to consider, especially when there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it. Maybe it's still finding the ones I moved to another dropbox folder? I can't find any tools in this version of the beta to tell what or where this local vault is.

1Password Version: 7.0.540
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TimeDoctor: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there. This isn't something we "introduced". You'll only have a local vault "On this PC" if you set one up yourself. Perhaps you did in an earlier version you tried and forgot about it after uninstalling, but unless you deleted 1Password's database it will still be there. 1Password simply doesn't automatically setup this stuff for you though, because even if it find vaults it doesn't know what order you want them setup in. You can, however, easily reset the app to starter and set it up the way you want now. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TimeDoctor
    TimeDoctor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty, I'll try that out and report back tomorrow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! Enjoy your weekend. We're here any time. :)

• TimeDoctor
    TimeDoctor
    Community Member
    Options

That was a long weekend! Resetting the app works. Now I'm wondering a few things about this beta:

1. Why when you go into the settings from the menus on the left side of the window, do they appear on the right side? On a big monitor it takes me a second every time to look over to the right and find them. It's a little weird.
    2. I can "Open vault on this PC..." vaults in 1Password 7 beta, but I still can't find any way to "close" them or remove them from 1Password 7 without resetting the app. That still feels like a bug to me.
    3. Where are folders? With older versions they were supremely useful for finding things that were otherwise difficult to search for. For example, if you have an email account it can be difficult to search for that login when it also appears in searches with every website login that uses that account. I put all my email accounts into folders so I could work around that problem.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Why when you go into the settings from the menus on the left side of the window, do they appear on the right side? On a big monitor it takes me a second every time to look over to the right and find them. It's a little weird.

@TimeDoctor: I can't say that I run 1Password fullscreen often. That's good point.

I can "Open vault on this PC..." vaults in 1Password 7 beta, but I still can't find any way to "close" them or remove them from 1Password 7 without resetting the app. That still feels like a bug to me.

What do you mean by "close"? 1Password wasn't ever meant to open and close vaults on the fly as you might with Word documents. You can right click vaults you added in 1Password 7 to remove them permanently if you want though. Does that help?

Where are folders? With older versions they were supremely useful for finding things that were otherwise difficult to search for. For example, if you have an email account it can be difficult to search for that login when it also appears in searches with every website login that uses that account. I put all my email accounts into folders so I could work around that problem.

1Password 7 supports tags. These are more flexible than folders, and these can even be nested (using / as a delimiter; e.g. accounts/banks. Give it a try and let us know what you think. :)

• TimeDoctor
    TimeDoctor
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7 supports tags. These are more flexible than folders,

Does the 1P 7 beta, or a format of the vault, destroy all of the folder information, or is it in any way recoverable into tags? I've got almost 2000 different items in 1P, it won't be fun to reorganize them and I'd guess that other people have more.

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @TimeDoctor,

It does not, all folders are converted to nested tags when you open an existing vault. So, FolderA > FolderB are converted to be a FolderA/FolderB nested tag.

• TimeDoctor
    TimeDoctor
    Community Member
    Options

ah I must have converted the vault by following the instructions and doing a select-all copy and paste to the online vault, losing all of the folder information in the process, which is why it wasn't preserved, d'oh

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TimeDoctor: I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have the original vault? If you had a lot setup there, it might be worth redoing the migration.

This discussion has been closed.