Open and Fill not working in 1PW7 beta 9 when using Choosy

kenj
kenj
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm running 1Password 7 beta 9. Selecting website links inside 1Password does not work at all now. Choosy works outside of 1Password (i.e. prompts me for which browser) but does not prompt or open a browser tab at all if selected within 1Password.

Adding some more info. The pid 83510 below is Choosy. I have Choosy setup to prompt me for the browser (which it does do if the URL is selected from 1Password).

70000009 [HELPER:(Secondary Thread 0x7fd83b75ed10):] E sendFillItem:openInTabMode:extensionClientUUID:applicationPID: | Failed to find an active client: 83510 (
": pid:82483 extId:B9A7D28BD294DDCC213D058FA1E508E9 browser:Firefox"
)

I started this new thread since the other related one was specific to "beta 8" and a developer wanted to know if it still was not working in beta-9.

1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)
AgileBits Beta
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Vault

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Vault

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @kenj,

I'm a Browser Fairy user myself so I know exactly what you're going through. Unfortunately how open-and-fill will work in 1Password 7 will not be compatible with software like Choosy or Browser Fairy. What I'm hoping we do is find ways to work around this so that:

1. We can keep the default browser as Choosy or Browser Fairy for all other, non-1Password use cases.
    2. 1Password allows the user to select the target browser. I'm not sure what this would look like, maybe list open browsers with an active extension - I'm not sure. Something that would approximate what some of us have been using Choosy or Browser Fairy for with the older approach to open-and-fill.

It probably won't be much in the way of consolation but there are at least a couple of us suffering right next to you with this one. I'm glad you posted, the more people that say this disrupts them the better the chances we will address it. If it were just me grumbling in the corner then the developers would never be able to justify the time on it.

ref: apple-750

• kenj
    kenj
    Community Member

The cases where I need a specific browser is usually because the site does not support my default browser. This happens when I try to login to DirecTVNow and watch a streaming live video. DirecTVNow does not support FireFox for streaming. This is just one example.

The way I'd like to see it resolved is close to your 2. Within a 1Password login item, the website (or URL) field allows me to specify a target browser within the item definition/configuration itself. I.e. it does not need to ask me every time I try to open-and-fill. If no target browser is specified than 1Password defaults to my OS default browser (as is done today).

An important point that I'm sure your company understands well is the need to have the user experience streamlined as much as possible when it comes to logging into sites. This issue with sites only supporting certain browsers will never end.

• Thanks for the feedback on this @kenj. Hopefully we can find a mutually agreeable solution to this.

Ben

• plucas62
    plucas62
    Community Member

I have the same problem using "Choosy".

• Thanks, @plucas62. This will affect everyone who is using the 1Password 7 for Mac beta and has their default browser set to Choosy (or a similar utility).

Ben

• Holgerr
    Holgerr
    Community Member

Hi --

I am not using Choosy or Browser Fairy or something like that -- but I am wondering, if it wouldn't be possible to implement something like in Mamp Pro: A mini popup which let you choose in which browser to open a particular link. If you don't use that popup the default browser should be used.

Holger

• Thanks for the suggestion, @Holgerr. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.