1Password Mini - Option to always show all items

Options
Joshua Wyner
Joshua Wyner
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Since the first iteration of 1Password mini, the default behavior when clicking the menu bar icon is to show 5 items and then a "show X more categories" menu item. On most displays, however, this seems unnecessary -- even the smallest display (15" internal on Macbook Pro) is more than tall enough to support immediately showing all categories if desired.

I recall this coming up over a year ago in the 1Password 6 forum, and that the response from AgileBits at the time was that they were working on 1Password 7 already and did not want to add new features to the current (v6) software. This made perfect sense, but I note this still has not been added as an option in the current 1Password 7 beta.

Is there any update or momentum on this? I must admit that, at least for my use case (95% of the time I'm using 1Password mini), this is hands-down the most frustrating aspect of 1Password. I hope this is being considered at least as an option in the settings for the final release.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 7.0b9
Extension Version: 7.0b9
OS Version: 10.13.5b2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @Joshua Wyner

This feature exists, but it is not exposed in the UI. You can run this command from Termainal to force mini to show all categories:

defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper OPPrefCategoryShowMoreLimit -int -1

Edit: note that the forum may wrap this text onto multiple lines, but in Terminal it all goes on one line (and then hit enter).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Joshua Wyner
    Joshua Wyner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Appreciate the reply. While this seems to work for 1Password 6, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the current 1Password 7 beta. I even tried changing the 4 to a 7 (based on the names of the current files in ~/Library/Preferences), but it had no effect.

• Ben
    Options

Ah... right. I didn’t think about the fact that the naming has likely changed for v7. Let me check in with development and see what the new string should be.

Sorry for the confusion on my end.

Ben

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @Joshua Wyner,

So
    defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits OPPrefCategoryShowMoreLimit -int -1
    didn't work and neither did
    defaults write ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist OPPrefCategoryShowMoreLimit -int -1
    Yet if I opened up that very file in either Xcode or BBEdit and manually add the key that way it works. Xcode has the full plist editor but here's what you'd need to add if you used BBEdit.

<key>OPPrefCategoryShowMoreLimit</key>
        <integer>-1</integer>

Not as easy as the defaults command but seems to work while we figure out why defaults doesn't have the expected effect. Could this help?

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben what's the word here? I really need this functionality.

• Ben
    Options

@jfelchner

littlebobbytables posted a solution just above you.

Ben

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I need a defaults write solution that works.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

@jfelchner,

As far as I’m aware the solution littlebobbytables posted is the only currently available option.

Ben

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben apologies I'm talking about the OPPrefSearchResultsShowMoreLimit preference not the OPPrefCategoryShowMoreLimit preference.

• rudy
    Options

@jfelchner

You would use a nearly identical line to what @littlebobbytables typed, replacing OPPrefCategoryShowMoreLimit with OPPrefSearchResultsShowMoreLimit.

Both of these preferences will be moot soon enough anyway.

Rudy

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy they're going away or they're going to be in the preferences window? Also I tried that and it didn't take. Gonna try rebooting and see if that fixes it.

• rudy
    Options

@jfelchner,

Reasons!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.