1Password mini doesn't auto-close upon copying a password [It does now!]

jonathan_herdt
jonathan_herdt
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm missing the auto-close functionality of 1Password 6.

Steps to reproduce
1. Open 1Password Mini
2. type in a login name
3. press the right-arrow keyboard button
4. Password field is pre-selected. Press Enter to copy its contents

Expected behavior
1Password Mini closes since my workflow was keyboard-based and can be expected to be finished

Actual behavior
1Password Mini stays open.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)
Extension Version: not yet installed
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vinibarauna
    vinibarauna
    Community Member

Yes, this!

• rendhalver
    rendhalver
    Community Member

I would like this to work like it did in 6 as well.
    It does close if you fill in a username and password but not all my entries are usernames and passwords and some sites don't work with auto fill like flash pages.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

Thanks for the feedback on this folks. I believe this was an intentional design choice, but I’ll follow up with development and see A) what the intention is (i.e. is this a bug, or working as designed), and B ) if working as designed if we might have some wiggle room for change.

Ben

• melorama
    melorama
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Yes, this is a less than desirable regression, in my opinion.

If the intention was that the window needs to persist so that you can copy multiple items, I can understand the new behavior. However, it really does add more friction than is necessary to simple tasks like copying a single password.

I've long been a proponent of 1Password adding a "recent items" menu, so that you can quickly recall items you've previously interacted with, without having to search for them again. If you've ever used a clipboard manager on your computer (e.g. Launchbar), you would be familiar with how something like this would work. Maybe this could alleviate the need for the persistent window?

Perhaps another way to satisfy both needs would be to add a keyboard modifier to the "copy" buttons so that if you hit SHIFT+RETURN, it would retain the original behavior of copying the item while simultaneously closing the 1PW mini window?

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member

+1 on this one. The screen staying put breaks the flow you are actually in (logging in somewhere).

• abnv93
    abnv93
    Community Member

I strongly agree with this as well. Every time I copy a password from mini I'm thrown off that it doesn't close.

• Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Ben

• Ken Ng
    Ken Ng
    Community Member

+1 on this as well. This saves me one keystroke when copying a password meant for non-browser inputs, i.e SSH passwords, etc to be copied to Terminal.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Ken Ng - thanks for weighing in!

• dbingham
    dbingham
    Community Member

+100 on this. If the goal was to stay open in the event you need to copy multiple things, it doesn't work for that either. As soon as you click elsewhere to paste the first selection, 1Pm closes. All it seems to achieve is requiring an extra click to get back to my input box where I need to paste the password. 1P 6 was much smoother in this workflow.

What would be far more helpful along these lines is if I press cmd+opt+\ (or cmd+\ in browser) search for something, and copy something out of it, if I hit cmd+opt+\ again within a few seconds, take me back to the same entry automatically. I can always hit cmd+shift+delete to clear the search and start fresh if I want to search for something different.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree that we can do better here. Thanks for the feedback — and for participating in the beta! :)

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member

May I applaud in this thread for fixing this issue in the latest release and also incorporating @dbingham's great suggestion of 'remember where I left off' feature! :)

• @Kobes,

Thanks for the kind words. Its something we've been wanting to do for awhile, and we did try out an implementation in a beta of 1Password 6 early last year, and took that feedback and incorporated it into the current mini.

Let us know if you have any other feedback!

Rudy

• JanS
    JanS
    Community Member

confirm that it is closing now using chrome ext under High Sierra BUT (sorry haven't see if a thread exists) the mini window is not located where the I start the context menu. Thus, I always have to select the best matching credentials from a distant window. 1password6 mini was opening the suggestion window at context menu location AFAIR.

nevertheless, +10 to the team, new design is good for me

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

confirm that it is closing now using chrome ext under High Sierra BUT (sorry haven't see if a thread exists) the mini window is not located where the I start the context menu.

@JanS: This is intentional. 1Password mini is free at last! :)

Thus, I always have to select the best matching credentials from a distant window. 1password6 mini was opening the suggestion window at context menu location AFAIR.

You can click and drag the top of the window to put it anywhere on your screen, and it will remember the position.

nevertheless, +10 to the team, new design is good for me

Glad you're enjoying it so far, and we'll continue to work to improve it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.