Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites missing in 1Password 7 Beta

Options
jjstipe
jjstipe
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

This option under Preferences >> Browsers is missing in 1Password 7 Beta. I've had to go back to 1Password 6 because without it my logins were pretty ugly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• GFEMajor
    GFEMajor
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this one! We have a company domian with many (really many!) subdomains. Before this option was removed, the password match with the subdomain was the first entry. now I have to scroll through all the entries (or use the search) to fill the login, that should have been found apon the subdomain. Really frustrating

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jjstipe & @GFEMajor,

The intention is to remove this option because for the vast majority of cases all it did was create confusion and as best we could tell was of little use. I do firmly believe its removal is an improvement but we are open to learning where it has been useful.

All we've done is remove the ability to ignore the subdomain where present. Instead the default behaviour in 1Password will be the only behaviour. We will list perfect matches to the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) first and then approximate matches, that only match the registered domain name, second. 1Password has always allowed us as the users to fill with any Login item that matches at least the registered domain name although it does typically hide them behind a click with the Show XXXX more items menu option.

Personally, the only time I've ever referenced this option is to explain why users aren't finding the exact match at the top and to instruct the user to disable the option, returning 1Password to the default behaviour. Enabling it would often lead the precise match to be hidden amongst closely matching items.

• jjstipe
    jjstipe
    Community Member
    Options

The behavior in 1Password 7 appears to be "enabled" thus showing the best match way down in a list of several matches. It is only under 1Password 6, where I have the "option" to disable (disabled by default) does the best match show at the top. Specific to your comment above:

We will list perfect matches to the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) first and then approximate matches, that only match the registered domain name, second.

That's not what's happening in 1Password 7. Every possible login is being listed in an indiscernible order with the best match buried somewhere in the list.

I agree, the default behavior should be "disabled". Perhaps its a bug in the beta...

• GFEMajor
    GFEMajor
    Community Member
    Options

I can agree to @jjstipe .

A test szenario.
    I have 3 Logins saved in 1Password:

xxx.mycompany.de
    yyy.mycompany.de
    mycompany.de

Now I go to the Domain yyy.mycompany.de to login.
    When I press cmd+# every of the three logins is shown (which is fine by the way), but the one which matches the most (subdomain AND FQDN match) is not shown at the top. There is a login at the top that I have favorited, and then the others are listed in alphabetical order.
    Now imagine, we have 60+ Subdomains, each for a specific purpose. I have to scroll through them to find my login! That is frustrating.

Why don't change the default behavior to list the matching subdomain/FQDN at the top?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jjstipe & @GFEMajor,

That's a bug in the current beta then, it's behaving as if the option was enabled while the now always-on behaviour is meant to be as if the option was disabled. We'll have to get that addressed. Thank you for reporting it.

• jjstipe
    jjstipe
    Community Member
    Options

Any idea when we might see an update to address this issue?

• Ben
    Options

I don’t have a timeframe to share.

Ben

• Chealion
    Chealion
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW for others who are stumble across this as well - not fixed in BETA 10.

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

Ah I was wondering why I started seeing too many options listed. For example I have a login saved for cp.bluesnap.com and sandbox.bluesnap.com and I used to only see the one for the domain I'm on. Now I see both, and unfortunately sandbox shows up as the "default" so I have to manually select the right one when I'm on cp. Happens elsewhere too although this is the most commonly used one for me. Yeah, still happening in BETA 10 :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for confirming — and for participating in the beta. :)

• TBUBwiPeKyFEAc
    TBUBwiPeKyFEAc
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening in BETA 11 as well :(

• jjstipe
    jjstipe
    Community Member
    Options

Bummer!

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks. We do have this fixed in the nightly (internal) builds, but I’m not sure when the change will make it into a beta. Sorry I don’t have a better / more imediate answer for you, but the good news is that at a minimum this shouldn’t be a problem in 7.0 GM.

Ben

• jjstipe
    jjstipe
    Community Member
    Options

That's great except that the issue has forced me back to 6.8.8 because its real bad on my work logins. I'd sure love to see it fixed in beta.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'd sure love to see it fixed in beta.

Me too. :)

Ben

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I was pretty sure I saw this mentioned earlier in the beta discussions, and I thought that someone chimed in the issue would be addressed, but, it's still present in b12 so I thought I'd make sure it's still on the radar.

The problem is that starting with b9 or so, 1P7 lost the ability to correctly match any of the websites I use at my employer, as we make extensive use of multi-level domains.

For example:

hostname.sub1.domain.com.tld
    hostname3.sub2.domain.com.tld
    hostname2.sub1.domain.tld

(We have presence in several countries, and make use of country specific TLDs and naming conventions)

And so on.

These sites ARE explicitly mentioned as "Websites" in 1Password, so, I have an explicit username and password for hostname.sub1.domain.com.tld in 1Password 7, and if I visit the site and go to the Extension (Safari or Firefox) I can start typing the hostname in the Search box to match and fill, but, until b9, (or thereabouts) when I'd go to the site and click on the extension, it would correctly pattern match to the hostname that I was visiting and only provide a list of the two or three logins I have for that particular site.

I know it's generally difficult to know how far down the dots to match for sub-domains, but, these are cases where the exact website is listed (correctly) as the website for that login/password combination, so, I would expect that to override other factors.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-12 (70000012)
    Extension Version: 4.71
    OS Version: 10.13.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @doetraar. I merged your post with another thread on the same subject. It’s still on the radar. Unfortunately I don’t know if the fix will make it into a beta update but we do certainly plan to get it into early v7.

Ben

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, here's the thread, thanks @ben - I did look for it before posting...glad to know I'm not insane (on this point).

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• jjstipe
    jjstipe
    Community Member
    Options

Has this been fixed in beta?

• Ben
    Options

@jjstipe

Try beta 16. We have made improvements in this area.

Ben

• jjstipe
    jjstipe
    Community Member
    Options

WOW! Major improvement. Very nice UI as well.

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for saying so. We appreciate the feedback. 😁

Ben

This discussion has been closed.