Cannot Create Master Password For New Account

Options
cosmovision
cosmovision
Community Member

I'm trying to sign up for a new account. Going through your website. I submitted payment info, created name, account, got secret key. Next I'm asked to create a Master Password. Regardless of what I type the lock says it's to simple or easy to guess. Impossible, I have been typing in random strings of numbers/letters 20 characters long. Nothing works. You password generator also doesn't load.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cosmovision,

Do you have JavaScript disabled in your browser? :)

P.S. Even if the indicator shows the password is weak you should still be able to proceed. It is just there as a warning.

Ben

• rma47611
    rma47611
    Community Member
    Options

I also am having the same problem.
    An invited family member is trying to setup on iPhone6 but it keeps refusing the master password no matter what is entered and will not continue. The message is 'it's too simple or easy to guess'.
    Not a good look. I've told the family member 1password is very good but when they can't get past the master password entry it doesn't look promising.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rma47611: Unfortunately to "get past the master password entry" is something that's only within the user's control, not something we can "fix" for you. It isn't clear from your comments exactly where you're running into trouble, but there are a few ways you may be confusing things:

If you're trying to setup a new 1Password.com account and having trouble with creating a Master Password there, it does need to be 10 characters or more at a minimum. That may be the "it's too simple or easy to guess" message you're seeing.

If you're trying to unlock the 1Password app on a device, it will require the Master Password of the first vault/account you've setup there. So if you've already been using 1Password before with a different Master Password, creating a new 1Password.com account will not magically change that for you. We don't want you to lose data! So you'd need to to unlock there using the Master Password you already had setup, and then you can migrate the exiting data to the new account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you have everything in the account, removing the old vault will allow you to use the account's Master Password to unlock there too. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rma47611
    rma47611
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty - the issue is a new family member after being invited to join is trying to CREATE a new master password (following all the prompts by the app) but every attempt is refused. More than 10 characters have been tried even a random string of letters and numbers is refused. The message is always 'its too simple', the continue button does not continue and the user is left at the create password screen and cannot progress. This is using an iPhone6 since the family member wants to use 1password on mobile devices. Even if the chosen password was simple that would be the users choice and the continue button should work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rma47611: Thanks for clarifying. That's definitely strange. Can you tell me which OS and browser version are being used? It's worth a shot to try a different browser — perhaps creating the account originally on a different device, if there's something wrong with that one.

Even if the chosen password was simple that would be the users choice and the continue button should work.

To clarify, if it's 10 characters or more, then yes, it should work. Less than 10 characters are not allowed though, as that would be far too easy to guess.

• rma47611
    rma47611
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty - the user has gone away for a few days so I'll have to wait a bit to provide the OS and browser. I'm pretty sure it's up to date though. She has a desktop mac also so may try that. I'll let you know how it goes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rma47611: No worries! We're not going anywhere. I'd definitely like to know the OS and browser version on the device where they encountered the problem so we can test it here, but I suspect that setting up the account on the Mac will help you get around this in the mean time. :)

This discussion has been closed.