CMD+Q will not quit 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)

jamieh78
jamieh78
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi anyone else having this issue? The keyboard shortcut doesn't work, but the file menu command does work

UPDATE - the actual menu command to quit doesn't actually work, so only Force Quit will close.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OSx 10.13.4
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Hi @jamieh78,

Sounds like you might have the "Show 1Password in the menu bar" setting turned off in General Preferences. With it off, Quit 1Password (and its Command-Q shortcut) currently do nothing (as you've reported) and our developers are aware of this issue. Instead, you can use Quit 1Password Completely (Control-Command-Shift-Q) as a workaround. Or turn on the setting at least until the Quit 1Password command and shortcut behave normally.

ref: apple-196, apple-636

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

@sjk Is this still a know issue or fixed? I am unable to quit the app using menu command or the Command-Q shortcut or the Control-Command-Shift-Q shortcut you mentioned. I have enabled the Show 1Password in the menu bar option and still no luck with any of these methods. If I use the close option (red x in upper left corner of the app) then the app does quit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iceout: Did you try what sjk suggested? There's a prompt if you have 1Password mini disabled, and the app cannot quit until that's dismissed.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

@brenty None of these commands do anything for me. My post indicates I did everything mentioned. I was just testing what was being said, I never quit my app this way regardless. I had come across this post when trying to find out if the app not quitting when choosing Quit 1Password7 from the 1Password7 pull down menu is a known issue. It appears it is from what I can find, if not please let me know. thank you.

• @iceout

The only thing I’m seeing in the bug report attached to this thread is that it is expected that 1Password cannot be quit if a modal dialog is open. You have to address the modal dialog before you can quit (working as intended).

If that is not the issue you’re having then I think we need to dig deeper. Please let us know.

Ben

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

OK @Ben I can start a new thread if needed but the problem I am having is if I choose "Quit 1Password7" from the 1Password7 pull down menu the app does not quit. This is regardless of the General setting having 1Password appear in the menu bar and doing this does not pop up any alert boxes that need to be cleared.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iceout: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say one way or the other. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you able to quit from the Dock or ⌘ ⌥ Esc menu? Thanks in advance! :)

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

@brenty no problem, here are some additional details.

1Password for Mac version 7.0 (7.0000019)
    I do not have Browser Extensions installed
    macOS version 10.13.4

Issue: Application does not quit as expected.

Steps taken
    1. Start 1Password7 by clicking the dock icon
    2. go to the pull down menu from 1Password7 and select Quit 1Password
    3. application does not quit
    4. Right click on dock icon and select quit
    5. application does not quit
    6. click red ball to close the 1Password window
    7. application Does quit

Yes using Command-Option-Escape to force quit the application also works.

• rudy
    edited May 2018

@iceout,

All the described steps have expected and correct results.

If you want to quit 1Password you will want to do cmd + opt + control + q, or with those modifier keys held down click on the 1Password menu and "Quit 1Password Completely".

The Application switches between two modes: one where the main application UI is present on screen (about box, prefs window, main window) and one where only the mini UI is presented and the dock icon does not show as active.

Normal quitting simply closes any main application UI and hides the dock icon.

Rudy

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

OK @rudy but following the steps I just described the main window UI and dock icon do not change and the main window stays visible and dock icon still has the small indicator to show the app is open.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

@rudy @Ben @brenty Following up for more input. I am starting to see other posts in the forum regarding quitting 1Password7 and the confusion. I just want to make sure how the app is working is really expected. I am unable to quit the app the same as I was in previous versions and all apps on a mac.

If I select quit 1Password from the drop down menu that should close all main UI windows and remove the running indicator from the icon in the dock.

This is not happening with 1Password7

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iceout: Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. It's not an issue once you get used to it, but it is different from how version 6 worked. Different is good though, as this eliminates a whole class of issues that folks could run into with 1Password being multiple apps previously. As Rudy mentioned, ⌘ Q will quit the main 1Password window, and ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ Q will (as shown in the 1Password menu) "Quit 1Password Completely". Just keep in mind that doing the latter will make the 1Password menu bar icon and browser extensions non-functional. So, you can probably imagine why ⌘ Q doesn't quit the app completely. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.