Delete primary vault, keep secondary vaults

josmac
josmac
Community Member

Just converted to a 1Password account after having too much difficulty with reliable syncing via Dropbox (can't say I love feeling like I needed to make that switch to assure 1Password worked properly...but I am a very long-time 1Password guy and love your stuff overall). That said the process was easy enough. I had 3 vaults syncing by Dropbox. I converted two of those to 1 Password account vaults. The third vault is one that is shared with me by my elderly father and allows me to support him in managing his affairs. I need this one and do not want to convert him or it to a family account. How can I delete my old (and now empty) primary vault and just have what I want, my 1Password account vaults, plus this other one sync'd via Dropbox? It appears this option is not available, but just checking!

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @josmac,

Thanks for taking the time to share your sentiment about feeling like you had to switch. I understand your concern here, and I’m sorry that Dropbox did not work better. Unfortunately with 3rd party sync options we only have control over half of the equation. We certainly try to admit and fix any issues that occur on our half, but there isn’t much we can do if the problem is with the other half. That’s just the nature of using a 3rd party option. That was the primary reason we developed a 1st party solution.

If you have any standalone vaults you’ll need to have a Primary vault, and your 1Password installation will unlock using the Master Password of the Primary vault. When deleting standalone vaults the Primary vault has to be deleted last. That is just part of how standalone vaults were designed, and at this point it is unlikely that’ll change.

Sorry I don’t have the answer you were hoping for but I hope that answers the question. If you have anything further please feel free to write back.

Ben

• josmac
    josmac
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response. That makes sense. Is there anyway to change the order of the vaults so that my 2 1password account vaults are at the top of the list?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@josmac - unfortunately not; if you have a Primary (local, standalone) vault, it will always be the first vault in the list, because it's the vault whose password also serves as the Master Password that unlocks everything else in 1Password for Mac. If you remove the Primary vault and have only your 1password.com account vaults, then those will (obviously) be at the top...but since you want to retain a vault that you share with your father, and you don't want to invite him to a 1Password Families account as a guest or member, you'll need to keep his data in your Primary vault.

Having said that, you can alter what appears in the All Vaults view by visiting Preferences > All Vaults and deselecting the Primary vault. That will make it so you'll have to explicitly switch to the Primary vault to view/search for items contained in it. Will that accomplish what you're trying to do?

• josmac
    josmac
    Community Member

You guys are just outstanding! Thanks for the quick answer. Lars, I had done exactly what you suggest and unchecked my old (and now empty) primary vault. I am able to work with just the vaults I want. Thanks so much.

• Great! Thanks for the update, and for the kind words. Glad to hear that helped. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.