Matching sub-domains [No plans for this]

Comments

• @kavaa,

That release is 7.0.BETA-16 and its live now.

Rudy

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member

Just building on this thread.... it would be great if you could enable/disable a "Favourite" for a specific domain.

An example would be banking - I have 2 logins for the same bank (on different subdomains), but only need to use one on a routine basis. Setting one as the default auto-fill would save me from having to choose it 99% of the time. If I wanted to use the other login, I would just click on the extension and choose it.

Other examples for me (in the IT industry) would be domain registrars/DNS providers for clients, Office 365 portals, etc.

• @johnclay,

You can do that by setting the Login you want to have priority as a Favorite.

Ben

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member

@Ben

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that's not working for me. I have 4 logins saved for a website, with one selected as a favourite. While it's making the favourited login the first in the list, it doesn't auto-fill it when I use the keyboard shortcut.

• Hmm. I’m thinking that is a bug then, as my understanding is that it should work that way. Does the URL on the favorited login item match (exactly) the page you are trying to fill?

Ben

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member

@Ben

Yes, the domains in all saved passwords are identical. To confirm, I copied the URL from the login page I was testing with and set that as the URL in the saved passwords.

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member

This new mini design - I think it works, but there might be a small problem the very first time you use it (where I think it's just a problem with the initial selection).

I'm on a website where I have 5 logins for the full domain match (and I have 42 logins when doing a TLD match).

I pressed the usual [cmd]+[/], and saw this:

A screenshot of 1Password mini, with 'Favourites' selected, and the right hand panel is blank

At first I didn't notice the "Suggested Items" (above the selected "Favourites" option), possibly because it had a different style... kind of like a heading (bigger and looks different to the other options).

So I think the very first interaction (which is very important for people when upgrading software) it must select "Suggested Items"; and the first item within the right hand panel should be selected by default as well... this means users can press the usual up/down arrows to do their usual selection process, and then learn about the left hand navigation (with a left arrow) as they become familiar with the interface.

Hope that helps.

• hi @craig_francis,

There is a bug with the restored selection where it errantly tries to restore a state instead of giving you the suggested items as the chosen sidebar item. We're hopefully getting that fixed shortly.

Rudy

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy, other than that issue, it does seem to be working quite well.

I'm just having fun converting about 100 logins to use HTTPS in the website URL with the new "Unsecured Websites" feature... wish there was a way to quickly change that (if there is already, I've not found it - I was kind of expecting a button within the yellow warning box at the top of the details).

Or maybe a feature where 1Password can do a mass or automatic update to HTTPS URLs... maybe by doing a fetch for the HTTP URL, and trying again over HTTPS to see if the result is the same (which might have problems with login URL's that are now out of date / 404)... or whenever the user does login (when the site is now using HTTPS), use that event to update the URL to HTTPS, and maybe use that event to update the hidden meta data about the login process (i.e. the stuff you see when doing a "Copy JSON").

• @craig_francis,

Thanks, that's definitely good feedback. I can definitely see where automatic conversion to https would be helpful!

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Looking really good ;) The new mini is looking cool. But I must say the mini pop-out right at the icon in the browser was also very nice. Will this maybe something we can set in the options? Maybe in the plugin / per Browser?

@kavaa: You can click and drag at the top of the window to move it wherever you want, and it will remember its place after that. I hope this helps! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, the domains in all saved passwords are identical. To confirm, I copied the URL from the login page I was testing with and set that as the URL in the saved passwords.

@johnclay: Can you give me an example, perhaps using a popular website? That's not what I'm seeing here, so knowing the specifics may help us test this properly. To be clear, 1Password doesn't consider only the domain, but the subdomain as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kavaa: A few others have reported issues with 1Password not remembering window settings, and that using the 1Password Troubleshooting Tool to repair permissions helped.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think so too. No promises, but I'll pass it along. :)

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty

Sure - just came across a second example. I have 3 Cloudflare logins, all with the same matching URL set (which matches the login domain, https://www.cloudflare.com). One is a favourite, but I'm still presented with 1P mini to choose which login to use when using the keyboard auto-fill shortcut.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@johnclay: That's very much expected and by design. Favorite just puts it at the top of the list. It's an organizational feature, not a way to tell 1Password to ignore your there matching logins.

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member

@brenty

That's kinda what I've been suggesting - there are quite a few websites where I have a main login, and then testing or secondary/tertiary logins. It would be great if you could specify one to auto-fill, while having the others remain available if 1P was manually activated.

• @johnclay

Thanks for the feedback. :) I believe the only way for that to happen currently is if one of the Login items has a website field that matches the login page’s URL exactly, and none of the other items are an exact match.

Ben

• intripidsilence
    intripidsilence
    Community Member

Hi 1Password Team! There has not been an update to this thread recently and I am wondering if the team is still being pursued to be fixed.

I also wanted to clarify something to the dev team from a user perspective. Earlier in this thread one of the 1P team said this is an edge case and may hurt functionality for others. As far as hurting functionality for others, I am not quite sure what that means and why that would be an issue but you guys rock so I am sure that it is true. However, due to the following, I feel very strongly that it is worth finding a fix for this issue that works in all cases, as hard as that may be.

While this may be an edge case for a home user it is very much an every-day, massive problem for corporate users who have to deal with many internal sites all under their corporate domain. Only very small environments are fully SSO integrated with all internal sites to prevent the need to use a password manager. Most environments are extremely fragmented on a shared base domain.

We can of course use the search feature to find the "right" login but this is a workflow slow-down that should not exist. When I have saved a login for a specific site and I press the keyboard shortcut my expectation is that 1P finds the best match and fills it in and submits it automatically. I only expect 1P to stop and wait for input if it can't figure something out, in which case I expect it to be able to ask an intelligent question, save the answer, and use that answer the next time it is on the exact site the next time.

To heavy users and/or corporate users, in my opinion, the goal of 1P should not just be secure storage of passwords but also to ease workflow when dealing with those passwords. I know you guys agree with this based upon the outstanding work you have done in so many aspects of 1P to date. I have been a customer since the beginning and will continue to be, however this is the one area where 1P has consistently failed to be solid and helpful. It is the one thing I have wanted to be fixed since the very first 1P was released. I really hope you can find a solution to this issue soon.

• Hi @intripidsilence ,

I agree with your idea that 1Password should not only store your passwords securely, but be the best at letting you work with them too. There are definitely improvements we can make here. We're continuing to look at that, and ideally we want to solve the issue in a way that doesn't disrupt a workflow for other users. This can probably be done, we just need to take some time to look into it, and we will. I can't give you a specific ETA, but can promise you we do want to solve this problem and are considering some solutions here.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• redbull666
    redbull666
    Community Member

Also pitching in that I really hope for a solution. I use many subdomains for my homelab, and there are various different logins involved. I would expect the matched FQDN to be on top of the list, but it's (almost?) always alphabetically, quite frustrating. I just moved over from Dashlane and am overall quite happy, but this one is a bummer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully we'll be able to find good ways to help with that use case in the future.

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member

@intripidsilence, @redbull666, since the realised version of 1Password 7 for Mac, it’s been working as I’d hoped it would (see my comment on the May 17)... in that the “suggested items” does show the logins that fully match the currently viewed domain name first.

My frustration is that this doesn’t work on iOS; and I had a bit of confusion when I first used it on the Mac, because the “suggested items” wasn’t selected at first (not helped because the different/larger/coloured design of it made it initially look like a heading, rather than one of the options I could select).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@craig_francis: 1Password for iOS doesn't have a "suggested items" feature, but perhaps it's something we can add there in the future.

iOS is a different beast though, as there isn't as much information available to the user visually. So the way this works now is intentional: it shows all matches for the domain alphabetically. This is because the browser only shows the domain, and frankly there isn't a lot of room to show full URLs on most iOS devices. So ordering them based on subdomain there would just look like nonsense.

We do understand this can be a bit confusing for someone doing a side-by-side comparison of the login list on a Mac and iOS device, and it's something we may change in the future if we can find a way to make it clear to the user. But for now this is a good fit for iOS. Thanks for the feedback!

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member

@brenty, I appreciate that the screen size is an issue; but I just want to change the order on iOS to match how the Mac “suggested items” works.

As in, show the exact domain name matches first, then a visual divide (e.g. just a thick grey line), before showing the rest... only because looking though ~50 logins which follow some kind of alphabetical sorting, is very frustrating on a small screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I appreciate that the screen size is an issue; but I just want to change the order on iOS to match how the Mac “suggested items” works.

@craig_francis: Totally. I think if and when we do something like "suggested items" on iOS, it's a good opportunity for us to take this into account and try to find a way to make it clear that items at the top are exact matches, etc.

As in, show the exact domain name matches first, then a visual divide (e.g. just a thick grey line), before showing the rest... only because looking though ~50 logins which follow some kind of alphabetical sorting, is very frustrating on a small screen.

That's the way I'd do it, but I'm not a designer. And currently we still need to take into account a wide range of screen sizes, so it's a bit complicated. I agree that there's room for improvement though, and we'll also see what Apple decides with regard to form factors later this year too. Cheers! :)

• Telokis
    Telokis
    Community Member

Regarding the original issue of this thread, couldn't you implement something similar to what LastPass does with its URL Rules like you can see in this screenshot ?
    Basically, it allows users to specify custom rules telling it how to treat the different websites URLs. It even allows port and path matching.
    The good thing about an account-wide configuration is that it doesn't affect users not interested in this feature at all. Moreover, if one site needs exact matching once, it will need exact matching everytime.

Since we're talking about LastPass, there is another config option which is very very very useful. It's the "Equivalent domains" section seen in this screenshot. This allows the user to define equivalent domains. (For example, atlassian.com and bitbucket.org are equivalent domains since they share their users.)
    I've seen in another thread that you already have this feature hidden somewhere since you needed it for "apple.com" and "ithing.com" (I don't remember the domains exactly).
    I know that it's possible to tell 1password that one login is associated to multiple URLs but I don't think this should be login-based but rather global to the app. It's not like there will be exceptions, bitbucket.org and atlassian.com will be linked for any login you have.

After reading a lot of thread regarding the things I mentioned above, I noticed that you were worried about annoying "basic" users and that's why I think the LastPass solution is very efficient. Having this be a configuration option means that you won't have to make everyone be affected by it. It would be some kind of advanced option.

Bonus points if this works for everyone in a business/team/family when the "master" configures it.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!

This discussion has been closed.