Import & sync vault when also using 1Password.com account?

kylefox
kylefox
Community Member

I have a 1Password.com account setup in 1Password for Mac.

I now need to add "MyVault.opvault" which is a Dropbox vault that I share with a friend.

When I double click to add the vault, I see this error message:

This thread describes a workaround to this. But from what I can, if I follow these steps, "MyVault.opvault" will no longer be syncing with Dropbox.

How do I add a vault file from Dropbox and keep it syncing while also having my 1Password account setup?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: 1Password.com and vault file

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kylefox

How do I add a vault file from Dropbox and keep it syncing while also having my 1Password account setup?

That kind of depends on what you mean by that. If all you want to do is have a Dropbox-synced vault alongside your 1password.com account vault(s), then I can give you some steps that will work just fine for you. The new vault will be called "Primary" (because that's the default), but you'll have that vault, synced through Dropbox, and your 1password.com vaults, synced through our servers.

But if you're asking to have this OPVault synced via Dropbox and have it also be part of your 1password.com account, that's not a thing that can happen - or is likely to be in the future, either. Can you clarify? Thanks.

• kylefox
    kylefox
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars — to clarify:

If all you want to do is have a Dropbox-synced vault alongside your 1password.com account vault(s), then I can give you some steps that will work just fine for you. The new vault will be called "Primary" (because that's the default), but you'll have that vault, synced through Dropbox, and your 1password.com vaults, synced through our servers.

☝️This is what I'd like to do. I figured out how to add the Dropbox vault file alongside my 1Password.com vaults, but what confused me is that the Dropbox vault (which has a custom name/icon) is called "Primary" with the default icon. I would really love if the Dropbox vault would maintain the name & icon rather than be called "Primary" (makes it very confusing when searching).

I suppose a workaround would be to first create an empty standalone vault called "Primary" (which I wouldn't actually use for anything) and then add my Dropbox vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kylefox

I suppose a workaround would be to first create an empty standalone vault called "Primary" (which I wouldn't actually use for anything) and then add my Dropbox vault?

If you really want/need to do that, you could...but that seems like an unusual setup: empty local Primary vault, secondary vault with custom name/icon, and a 1password.com account. It's not necessarily a problem, but Primary is considered the default vault for a reason. You'd want to make sure items (including generated passwords) weren't getting saved there by mistake, and I'd urge you to make the Vault Password for both the Primary and secondary (existing) vault the same as the one you use for your 1password.com account, just to avoid confusion. Whatever you use for your Primary vault will be the Master Password for 1Password for Mac, so it's a good idea not to have it be different than the one you'd use to sign into your 1password.com vault if you're using a browser.

• kylefox
    kylefox
    Community Member

I'd urge you to make the Vault Password for both the Primary and secondary (existing) vault the same as the one you use for your 1password.com account

Yeah, I'd planned to use the same password for this reason.

that seems like an unusual setup: empty local Primary vault, secondary vault with custom name/icon

Agreed — the issue is that my Dropbox vault is very infrequently used and I almost never want to save new logins to it. It has a very descriptive name to remind me of this. I'll probably wind up forgetting or confusing myself down the road if I have to constantly remember "Primary" means "Special case vault".

The ability to either

1. Change the primary vault name / icon, or
    2. Add standalone (synced) vaults without them becoming the primary vault

would be the ideal functionality, but for now I'll work around it.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback on this! It isn't something we have plans to change at this time, as the Primary vault has a special function, but it's something we'll keep in mind as we develop future versions of 1Password. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.