More intuitive way to delete login from 1Password helper and plugin

Options
janpeeters
janpeeters
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi I'd love to see a more intuitive way to delete logins from 1Password helper and plugin. Currently it's too many steps.
1) I have to hover over a login
2) click edit
3) scroll down
4) click 'move item to trash'.

I'd love to be able to delete them just by clicking a trash icon and confirming 'move to trash'.
Since there is a trash (and no immediate deletion) it's not a big risk to remove some of the steps of the current workflow.

Thanks for considering,
Jan

1Password Version: 7.0b9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @janpeeters. How often do you find yourself needing to delete an item from the extension? What is the reason for deleting those items, usually?

Please let us know.

Ben

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben Thanks for your reply.

My use cases for wanting a faster more intuitive way to delete items are.
    1) I develop websites and have a lot of test accounts for various domains that I want to delete once the project is over.
    2) I try a lot of new services in the internet (trying to have an up to date view on innovative development) and many of them fail (because they are not so innovative ;-)) and get deactivated over time. So I've accumulated quite a bit of dead links in my 1password account.
    3) Domains from Google sometimes create double entrees because it's not recognised that they can be accessed with the same login. I have to manually add the domains to my login and after that delete the separate ones.
    Does that help?
    Really hoping you can do something about it.

Thanks, Jan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janpeeters: Thanks for clarifying! I actually do some of those things myself, and I find that using the main 1Password window to manage my data and pressing ⌘ Delete helps a lot. We don't currently have plans to implement something like you're asking for in 1Password mini, but we'll be listening to feedback from other users to see if that's something they want as well. Thank you for participating in the beta! :)

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty, thanks for your repsonse...
    The main window can do this indeed, but since my main point of access is 1P mini (in browser and menubar) it feels logical to have an easy delete option there too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janpeeters - yep, I can understand that. From our perspective, we need to be very careful about adding new (or making easier existing) ways of removing data for users. Old pros who've been using 1Password (and computers) for a long time often want easier methods of doing something. But when those things involve the potential for inadvertent data loss, we need to factor in the understanding that an increasing percentage of our user base are NOT old pros. It's a fluid situation, and what we strive most for is being able to craft a solution that works better for everyone -- but that's not always an achievable goal. Thanks for letting us know what you'd like to see!

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars, I understand your considerations here. I would think that a trash icon (maybe even in the right bottom corner) and a confirmation dialogue that asks if I really would want to delete this login would be ample security for accidental deletion by novice users.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janpeeters - thanks for the suggestions; we'll continue to examine how we can best give the more-adept users what they want without risking the novice users' data or making extra steps for everyone. :)

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for that! Best of luck with development of 1Password

• Holgerr
    Holgerr
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Perhaps you can implement a kind of power user preference in the, you name it, preferences. An nice checkbox for example.

[x] Allow power users to speed delete items from within 1Password mini

And let this checkbox disabled by default. ;-)

• Ben
    Options

We try very hard to avoid having preferences, and to instead choose sensible defaults. The bar is pretty high to add a preference. I think if you do a search here (assuming Vanilla forum's search feature cooperates) for "add a preference" you'll probably get some idea of why. :wink:

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janpeeters - thanks! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.