1Password 7 Beta 7 for Windows is here!

Hey guys,

In this update, we have a new settings view for Backups, so that you can find your backups without remembering which directory it is in. We've also added a cool UI improvement where you can now drag and drop files onto the item list to create new Document items out of them.

We've also improved the AgileKeychain to OPVault conversion, so that the new OPVaults can be merged with the same vault in other 1Password apps. This means that you can simply disable sync and re-enable with the new OPVault format in 1Password for macOS and iOS, local database name change or reinstall for iOS app won't be required anymore.

Changelog

[NEW] 1Password now has Backups setting view to let you quickly find the backup files for your standalone vaults with Folder Sync enabled. Restore options will be added in a future update. {OPW-1946}
[NEW] You can now drag and drop files onto the item list to create new Document items. {OPW-1786}
[IMPROVED] Standalone vaults created by 1Password 7 for Windows can now be merged with the same vaults on other platforms to help simplify the switchover to OPVault. {OPW-2135}
[IMPROVED] Improved compatibility for upcoming 1Password.com changes with Duo. {OPW-1028}
[IMPROVED] 1Password will now consistently display 1Password mini next to your mouse cursor when using the keyboard shortcut, saving new Login item via browser extensions and/or using the 1Password Strong Password Generator. {OPW-1274}
[IMPROVED] Improved our diagnostics report to include information about standalone vaults and their backups. {OPW-2137, OPW-2137}
[IMPROVED] Internet availability checks have been improved to check other network types such as subnets and routed networks for both IPv4 and IPv6. {OPW-2136}
[IMPROVED] 1Password Welcome Tour has been refreshed with a new look.
[FIXED] 1Password mini would show border gaps when snapping to the monitor's edges. {OPW-2095}
[FIXED] 1Password now supports quarter snapping (top-right, top-left, etc) and center height maximize (WinKey + Shift + Up). {OPW-2095}
[FIXED] 1Password would not resize properly when resizing it manually near the monitor edges. {OPW-2095}
[FIXED] 1Password wouldn't let you manually install an update while it is locked due to the "Automatically update while the app is locked" setting being turned off. {OPW-1831}
[FIXED] 1Password mini wouldn't scroll to the selected vault when viewing the vaults list. {OPW-1026}
[FIXED] Switching to a different item in the tagged item list without saving the original item being edited would reset the tagged item list to All Items view. {OPW-2098}
[FIXED] The context menu for tags wouldn't show the _ symbol in the tag names (_Home). {OPW-2138}
[FIXED] 1Password would crash due to invalid windows state restoration with bad monitor setting data. {OPW-2111, OPW-2107}

Comments

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hey @MikeT,

Good update guys! Didn't even notice it had updated on my PC until I noticed the previous thread was locked...creepy and cool at the same time :p

Have a question, how do I sync to and utilize multiple vaults in 1Password for Android? Or is this not yet supported by the Android app? Also, is .opvault format supported by the Android app?

Prior to 1Password 7, I used to sync the 1Password.agilekeychain folder from my Surface Pro to my Note 8 (be it via USB sync or SMB file shearing) and I have the 1Password app set to Folder Sync, pointing to the 1Password.agilekeychain folder in my Note 8's central file system. However, with 1Password 7, since you guys ditched folders and made creating multiple vaults a necessity to create custom categories, does the Android app support Folder Syncing multiple vaults at once? Or would I have to be manually switching between each of my vaults to use it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Good update guys! Didn't even notice it had updated on my PC until I noticed the previous thread was locked...creepy and cool at the same time :p

@raaomoka: Haha thanks! I think... :lol: :+1:

Have a question, how do I sync to and utilize multiple vaults in 1Password for Android? Or is this not yet supported by the Android app? Also, is .opvault format supported by the Android app?

1Password for Android supports a single OPVault sync'd through Dropbox. Multiple local vaults cannot be used there.

Prior to 1Password 7, I used to sync the 1Password.agilekeychain folder from my Surface Pro to my Note 8 (be it via USB sync or SMB file shearing) and I have the 1Password app set to Folder Sync, pointing to the 1Password.agilekeychain folder in my Note 8's central file system. However, with 1Password 7, since you guys ditched folders and made creating multiple vaults a necessity to create custom categories,

I don't know what you mean by this. Custom categories are not supported. You're right though that tags will be used going forward.

does the Android app support Folder Syncing multiple vaults at once? Or would I have to be manually switching between each of my vaults to use it?

1Password for Android does not support multiple local vaults. Currently it only supports AgileKeychain for local folder sync, but we'll be adding support for OPVault there too in version 7. It is not possible to manually switch vaults in the app, as this is neither recommended or something it's designed for. But you can reinstall the app if you want to set it up with a different vault. I'm sorry that the lack of OPVault support for local folder sync is going to be an obstacle for you for the time being, but it's something we're working to address.

ref: OPA-1457

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @brenty,

I don't know what you mean by this. Custom categories are not supported.

In 1Password 4, we were able to create Folders and properly organize our credntials, using Folders like custom categories. However, you guys pointlessly took this organizational aspect away from 1Password 7 and forced down our throat these tags, which are NOT a suitable REPLACEMENT for folders.

Tags speed up the process of finding content via search; just like they're used in ANY other online forum for quickly finding threads, and on macOS for finding files. Folders categorize/organize the content; AGAIN just like they're used in ANY other online forum to categorize threads, and on macOS to organize files. They don't serve well as a substitute for the other, they're meant to co-exist just like they did in 1Password 4.

Don't mean to sound rude, but the way you have it now is messed up; if I limit my tags to only the number of folders I had, finding credentials becomes a PITA as I can't tag them with key terms related only to that site/login. On the other hand, if I keep tagging them as much as I want to make finding them later very easy (like tags are used everywhere else), this your current UI becomes overwhelming to navigate when I'm looking for the meant-to-be-folder tags in the huge list of other tags...unless I instead use the vaults like folders, which comes back to this issue with syncing to Android.

If you can't enable the Android app to sync multiple vaults locally, please kindly just bring back folders in vaults like they were in 1Password 4. Tags is NOT a substitute.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raaomoka: Well, no need to be rude then! :lol:

But in all seriousness, with nested tags in 1Password 7, you can use them just like folders if you want. There's nothing stopping you from doing that. You should give it a try. :)

Tags aren't there for keyboarding items though, since all of the rest of the item details can offer that. So you may find that frees you up to use tags more the way you would use folders. They're for organization. Certainly you don't have to use them that way, but it sounds like that would serve your needs better.

We have no plans to bring back folders, as they're incredibly limiting, but if there are other improvements you'd like us to make to tags we're listening. These changes in the beta are in response to feedback from other folder diehards, and while I agree that there's still room for improvement, the response so far has been very good.

We also don't have plans for multiple local vaults on Android, but you can use multiple vaults everywhere with 1Password.com since that's built in on the server side.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member

But in all seriousness, with nested tags in 1Password 7, you can use them just like folders if you want.

How do you do nested tags? I just tried dragging and dropping one tag on the other and nothing happened.

Tags aren't there for keyboarding items though, since all of the rest of the item details can offer that.

Well, guess I could use the notes section for other tags if you insist on this unconventional use of tags like they're folders. When creating new credentials from sites, please update the UI to let us add notes.

We have no plans to bring back folders, as they're incredibly limiting

Uhm, in what way are they limiting? They weren't any limitation from my experience in 1Password 4.

These changes in the beta are in response to feedback from other folder diehards

Is there any thread regarding this? Kindly do share. I'd like to see what logic there is to getting rid of folders (aka custom categories) and using tags as folders.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @raaomoka,

How do you do nested tags? I just tried dragging and dropping one tag on the other and nothing happened.

There is no drag and drop support for most actions in 1Password 7 for Windows at the moment, even if we have folders, it wouldn't work either. The only thing we do support is dragging files into the item list to create new Document items and that was just added late last week. We plan to add drag and drop support for the rest in future updates.

To create a nested tag; use / in the tag name itself. So, if you want Shopping > Personal, tag the item Shopping/Personal.

At the moment, 1Password does not nest if there is no item with the parent tag. In other words, if you have no items with the Shopping tag, it won't nest. This will be improved soon to remove the need to have a parent tag in the first place.

Once we support drag and drop, dragging an item onto the tag itself will just append Shopping/Holidays to the item itself.

We do plan to improve renaming/deleting tags on the sidebar as well in a future update.

When creating new credentials from sites, please update the UI to let us add notes.

There are no plans to add anything else, the process of saving Login needs to be simple and quick, so folks can proceed with the website. We're only going to support tagging as the organization structure in addition to using multiple vaults itself.

Some folks have used vaults as folders instead or what you may call as custom categories. So, if you have two separate "categories" like Home and Work, you can create two separate vaults and use the Save New Login's view to store it in the right vault.

1Password 7 supports All Vaults feature that shows all items from all vaults and you can exclude some vaults like Archival vault if you want to create a separate vault to hold archival data and remove it from All Vaults.

Uhm, in what way are they limiting? They weren't any limitation from my experience in 1Password 4.

Only one item can be in one folder, it can't be reused in other folders. It was confusing to use alongside tags given that they can be used for the same purpose. We get thousands asking what tags and folders are for, now we've simplified it to nested tags only.

Just to be clear, not everyone use folders to categorize, they use tags just as well. Instead of having two separate features with the same purpose, we're going to reduce it to one and improve tags to replace folders entirely.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

Some folks have used vaults as folders instead or what you may call as custom categories.

That's exactly what I want to do with 1Password 7, but then you guys have put another road block in place; forcing us to use your subscription service in order to get multiple vaults syncing on our Smartphone. A cheap business tactic if you ask me...there's no reason, besides greed, why we can't have multiple vaults syncing locally on our Android Smartphone. If you need help with the coding, just ask.

Only one item can be in one folder, it can't be reused in other folders

Sorry, I think I'm misunderstanding something here. Are you saying this was fake in 1Password 4 all this while?

It was confusing to use alongside tags given that they can be used for the same purpose. We get thousands asking what tags and folders are for, now we've simplified it to nested tags only.

I understand that, and this idea of seperating credentials into multiple vaults is more intuitive. However, just need the option of locally syncing multiple vaults on our Smartphones to complete the experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's exactly what I want to do with 1Password 7, but then you guys have put another road block in place; forcing us to use your subscription service in order to get multiple vaults syncing on our Smartphone. A cheap business tactic if you ask me...there's no reason, besides greed, why we can't have multiple vaults syncing locally on our Android Smartphone. If you need help with the coding, just ask.

@raaomoka: If wanting to get paid for work is "greed", then I hope you are lucky enough to have your own "greed" satisfied so you can make a living too. The offer is appreciated, but you shouldn't have to work for free either. ;)

Sorry, I think I'm misunderstanding something here. Are you saying this was fake in 1Password 4 all this while?

Sorry for the confusion. What Mike is saying is that, using your example, you will not be able to put that same "myacn.acninc.com" item in more than one folder; it can only be in one at a time. Conversely, you can organize that same login using multiple tags.

That may not sound like a big deal, but for folks sharing within teams and families, with multiple people making changes to vaults, folders are a no-go. What happens when two people put the same item in different folders? MAYHEM! Actually, sync conflicts, but I'd argue those are a form of digital mayhem, but from a user perspective and technical support. ;)

I understand that, and this idea of seperating credentials into multiple vaults is more intuitive. However, just need the option of locally syncing multiple vaults on our Smartphones to complete the experience.

Multiple local vaults are not needed since there is already a solution for using multiple vaults across all platforms: 1Password.com — and that's frankly the only way that most people will even bother using more than one vault (and sharing as well). We just didn't get requests for multiple local vaults prior to that, so it's not something that the current Android app is capable of; and it's unlikely we'll be rewriting it in the foreseeable future to make that possible. :blush:

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

If wanting to get paid for work is "greed", then I hope you are lucky enough to have your own "greed" satisfied so you can make a living too. The offer is appreciated, but you shouldn't have to work for free either.

@brenty There's a big difference between simply demanding 1-time payment and demanding a subscription for a tiny but very handy feature. You're demanding a payment to get this 1Password 7 upgrade, no problem with that, but then with this "upgrade", you take away a very handy functionality of the previous version and force us to use subscription to gain back access to similar functionality in this "upgrade". That's the problem here.

That may not sound like a big deal, but for folks sharing within teams and families, with multiple people making changes to vaults, folders are a no-go. What happens when two people put the same item in different folders? MAYHEM! Actually, sync conflicts, but I'd argue those are a form of digital mayhem, but from a user perspective and technical support.

That I can understand, and having multiple vaults instead of folders solves that problem, but again, shouldn't require a subscription to make use of this function on out Smartphone.

Multiple local vaults are not needed since there is already a solution for using multiple vaults across all platforms: 1Password.com

Yes they are needed for those of us who don't want to use your cloud service. If I were fine with putting all my credentials in someone else's storage (a.k.a. the cloud), I wouldn't have ever considered 1Password to begin with. LastPass has forever been doing that and did it better on Android last time I used it. However with my growing awareness of security/privacy issues, I'd much rather keep all sensitive data local only, the cloud is only for data I don't mind shearing with the next person on the street.

We just didn't get requests for multiple local vaults prior to that

Most likely 'cause you had not taken away the option to organize our credentials locally with folders. I didn't need multiple vaults until you took folders away in 1Password 7 :|

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member

Is there a possibility to reorder the 1Password Mini list?
    Today the list is order by most used from the top (furthest away from where my mouse is when I have 1Password Mini in the task bar at the bottom) but I would wan't it to be reversed (most used from the bottom). So the application that I most likely want to input it into is close to where my mouse is. Example

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi guys,

@hAmpzter

Is there a possibility to reorder the 1Password Mini list?

The problem is that the way the menu is rendered is not by us, Windows take care of all that for us. So, if you have less than 5 apps and your 1Password mini is on the top, the current sorting we have is more useful.

If you move mini down and you start to grow beyond 10 apps where Windows starts to move the context menu up to fit your monitor boundary, we don't actually know that, and thus, we can't just reverse it to make it next to your cursor.

The long-term solution is to build Auto-Type, so that when you press "Control + \", it'll just fill in or ask you which item to type. Type in Window is just a quick solution we can implement right now, while you wait for us to do Auto-Type.

@raaomoka,

You're demanding a payment to get this 1Password 7 upgrade, no problem with that, but then with this "upgrade", you take away a very handy functionality of the previous version and force us to use subscription to gain back access to similar functionality in this "upgrade". That's the problem here.

We're not demanding anything, it is always your choice to upgrade. That is the best part about the standalone licenses, you own it forever and are not obligated to upgrade for any reasons, everything stays the same forever except for security changes that would may require an upgrade.

If you wish to use 1Password 7 for Windows and other 1Password 7 apps soon, there will be some changes and folders is one of them, it'll be removed in exchange for supporting nested tags in all 1Password apps. This isn't limited to standalone vaults, either. We got feedback about the same issue when people switched to 1Password.com service that some prefer folders because of the nested organization. Now, nested tags provide that support and who knows what we will improve on top of nested tags.

However, I do want to mention that Brenty was a bit strong in his statement about 1Password.com service and 1Password for Android, nothing is impossible and the future is not determined.

Yes, we want everyone to use 1Password.com but it is not the solution for everything, it cannot be. People have the right to ask for multiple standalone vaults support in 1Password for Android, please do bring it up in the 1Password for Android forums here and we'll pass it on too. Almost all 1Password apps support multiple standalone vaults, 1Password for Android wasn't built with this in mind, which is why it may take longer to implement if we decide to add it.

Most likely 'cause you had not taken away the option to organize our credentials locally with folders. I didn't need multiple vaults until you took folders away in 1Password 7 :|

Well, most people do not use folders in that way either. Most people put items in folders to organize them and nested tags does not change that, except to improve by allowing them to organize the same items multiple times. Not everyone needs multiple vaults either, they can get away with mostly just nested tags. You can also select one tag and search for a different tag in the tagged list, ex. selecting Work/Shopping on the sidebar and then search tag: party for the second level of organization. Smarter search system is something we haven't built yet, so you could just do tags: work/shopping, party date:march. For some folks, this negates the need of multiple vaults too.

We know that the price of evolution in 1Password means that some people may not like certain changes but in this case, the phasing out of folders outweighs the benefits we're getting with a cross-platform solution that works better. The problem is, it is hard to see the changes we have planned with this when everything is in transition. This will be drastically better in time.

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member

@MikeT Alright! I'll be patient then... :)

• :+1: We'll keep this in mind, we might come up with a better solution while we're on that road to Auto-Type.

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member

I have found another weird thing with the Chrome plugin. When I click your plugin it popups the 1Password-window in 1 second and then it disappears and clicks on another plugin (in this case the "smartUp Gestures"-plugin). Sadly I have not been able to reproduces this during repeatable process, it just happens every now and then.. :unamused:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hAmpzter: I haven't seen anything like that across any of my Windows machines. Are you maybe getting a weird interaction with one of the many extensions you appear to have installed, or perhaps other software — especially something related to input?

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member

@brenty It's actually only that extension that it occurs with. It's an extension to make mouse-gestures.. I have no idéa on how to help you debug this at the moment.. But what I have notices is that when I click the 1Password-icon I can see that the mouse is moved to the middle (only in the horizontal direction) of the 1Password-window that pops up and then back very quickly. And that location happens to be exactly over the icon for that extension.

• Hi @hAmpzter,

1Password sends a emulated mouse click to 1Password mini to make it focused. The question is why 1Password mini is disappearing right away.

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, there may be some internal errors that 1Password isn't showing to you. Use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at [email protected]. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Thanks!

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member

@MikeT Now I have more information for you. It apparently is very common to occur on the Microsoft login-page. It is disappearing right away because it's not clicking on empty air it's actually clicking that extension icon (and that in turn shows (and focuses) the popup of that extension). I tried moving my mouse down very fast after clicking and then the 1Password window showed up a bit lower and stayed there..
    Do you still want the diagnostics report?

• Hi @hAmpzter,

So, you're saying 1Password mini shows up but click was now incorrectly sent to the other extension icon, which caused 1Password mini to disappear as if our click position was incorrect?

I don't understand the difference between Microsoft site and other sites? I just logged in to my Microsoft site and it was fine. Any specific Microsoft site you're using?

No need for the diagnostics report anymore, we don't log that kind of activity.

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT . Yeah, exactly like that. It shows up but then becomes hidden because of the other focused popup. I noticed also that I can force it anytime. If I just move the mouse upwards in the same time as I click the icon this happens. I have a Logitech MX Master that has really high resolution and it moves just a couple of pixels probably when I click the icon. So if you set your 1Password Mini window to pop up just a bit higher (a couple of pixels) I think that will solve the problem (or at least make it less prominent).

• Hi @hAmpzter,

Stay tuned for the next update, we're working on a few changes related to this and we think it may help with your issue too.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

In my opinion, the "New item" (+) button is a bit too inconspicuous. It should be more prominent, have a different color or something. The other day I really spent 2 minutes looking for it because I had not used that feature in v7 before.

• Hi @Stanzilla,

Thanks, I agree. It needs a bit more. I'll pass it on to our design team as we have the same issue on the macOS side too.

• mohammad1361
    mohammad1361
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,
    When will the next beautiful update be released? 8-)

• Hi @mohammad1361,

Very soon, we know it is taking longer than usual, we're working on licensing right now (among a long list of improvements) and that impacts many areas of the app, so we don't want to ship it until it is done and polished first.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

Ditto, @mohammad1361 I'm bored now and want something new to look at or something old that doesn't work right to fret over... ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: I'm not sure we want to deliver on either of those, but we should have something new to share with you soon! :lol: :+1:

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member

I am excited about this development. I have just installed 1Password 7 beta (1PasswordSetup-7.0.558.BETA) for windows on Windows 7 machine and after installation I get an error "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program". I uninstalled 1Password 7 beta, restarted the machine and installed it back again but the problem persists. I do have 1Password 4.6 for Windows still installed (and working).
    Does 1Password 7 beta supposed to be compatible with Windows 7? If so, I'd appreciate any feedback/help you can provide to help with my issue. I have also tried to install 1Password 7 beta in VMware running Windows 7 and I got observed the same issue.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Jerzy

• Hi @jklosin,

Can you uninstall 1Password 4 first, reboot and try 1Password 7? Having 1Password 4 running can cause this problem if you have a web browser running as well because both 1Password 4 and 7 competes for the 1Password extension's attention.

We're hoping to update our installer in a future update to uninstall 1Password 4 as well but we need to replace our installer as well.

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member

Thank you Mike for a quick response. I removed all instances of 1password (7 and 4), removed all 1password extensions from Chrome, rebooted PC but I got the same error after reinstalling version 7 - bummer - I was so looking forward to it.
    Interestingly Symantec Endpoint send me notification for beta.exe that it detected "WS.Reputation.1 " Not sure what that is but thought I'd mention. I don't know if this contributed to my failed attempt to install it or not.

This discussion has been closed.