Need to download xpi file for firefox

DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

Hi,
I'm on a mac using firefox. Every time I try to install the 1password addon, it gets the crx file instead of the xpi file. The crx obviously won't work. Firefox is my default browser. I'm stuck, since you don't offer the option to choose the addon you need and download it directly for a later install.

What do I do now?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hi @DoctorDan,

The issue you're describing can happen when clicking the "click here to start the download" link on the https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/ page.

We're aware of that bug and it'll be fixed. As a workaround, you can download the 1Password extension for Firefox (and other browsers) from this page:

1Password Browser Extension Release Notes

I hope that helps and let us know if you run into any further trouble with this.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Thanks. How about including those links on the Downloads page?

• Hi @DoctorDan,

We’ve thought about that, but we don’t want to give anyone the impression they can use the extension in lieu of the native app (as this is only the case for 1Password X). By putting them on the downloads page, “next to” the native app downloads, it may give the wrong impression. Under normal circumstances (excepting the bug Scott mentioned) the apps should be directing you to install the extensions.

That said, I’ll bring this point up again and see if perhaps this position is worth reconsidering.

Ben

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Maybe just a link that says “Download extension for manual installation” that takes you to something like the page you referred me to?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think it's less confusing for everyone if we just get the link fixed. But you can download the extension using the link sjk gave earlier in the mean time. Cheers! :)

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

Is 1Password-4.7.1.90.xpi the right browser plugin to use for 1Password 7 for windows 7, and Firefox 60.0.2, or is this only for 1Password 4? I'm looking for the URL of the .xpi so I can download it to install. (Security software is preventing the automatic installation.) Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is 1Password-4.7.1.90.xpi the right browser plugin to use for 1Password 7 for windows 7, and Firefox 60.0.2,

@bkh: Yes.

or is this only for 1Password 4?

1Password for Mac version 4 also used the v4 extensions, but recent extension versions are only compatible with recent 1Password and browser releases, since a lot has changed in browsers this past year.

I'm looking for the URL of the .xpi so I can download it to install. (Security software is preventing the automatic installation.) Thanks.

While I'd encourage you to get that sorted out (it's problematic for "security" software to interfere with user actions, and, often, secure communications), you can find the extensions on our update page:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

Some folks in similar situations have found that downloading using another browser works, and then they can drag it to Firefox. But that's no way to live!

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

Some folks in similar situations have found that downloading using another browser works, and then they can drag it to Firefox.

I have no problem downloading it to local disk in Firefox and then dragging the file onto the add-ons window. Evidently the security software finds this less threatening than installing directly from the net. It's like you have to go meet the new girlfriend's parents; only then will they let you take her out.

But that's no way to live!

This is Microsoft Windows we're talking about. We have to choose our battles.

• lol 🤣

Fair enough. 👍🏻

Ben

This discussion has been closed.