To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Passwords not syncing between devices

prhayes
prhayes
Community Member

Hi,

I have a 1password.com account and access my account on mac, windows and iOS. I am running betas on windows and mac. I have noticed that when I make changes on one device, amending existing entries and adding new ones, they are not syncing. I have to logout of the account and re login to see the changes reflected on all devices. What is the expected behaviour and what might be causing the issues I am experiencing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@prhayes - I'm sorry for the trouble! However, without a little more information, it's very difficult to say what might be happening. You mentioned "betas" on both desktop OS platforms, but our betas change very frequently because there are many issues getting fixed as we head toward stable launch. Can you tell us:

1. the specific version of OS you run on each device,
    2. the specific version of 1Password you're running (or were running when experiencing the problem)
    3. any patterns you've noticed - does this happen primarily on one device? All of them equally? Something else? Does it happen reliably, every time, or is it inconsistent? If the latter, do you notice anything unusual or consistent about the times you notice sync lagging or failing?

Thanks in advance for the additional information.

• prhayes
    prhayes
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thanks for the speedy post. Versions as follows
    iOS : 11.4 beta
    7.1 (70100001)
    Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 Build 15063.966:
    7.0.543.BETA
    Macos : 10.13 high Sierra
    7.0.BETA-10 (build #70000010)

I have noticed it on all devices but more so on the mac and windows when I have added or amended entries in iOS.

• prhayes
    prhayes
    Community Member

It has been inconsistent but is happening more in the last few weeks

• prhayes
    prhayes
    Community Member

but to re-iterate, after logging out of the account and logging back-in the changes are populated

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prhayes: Hmm. Thanks for the info! Are you perhaps saving/creating/editing logins or other items using the 1Password iOS extension? If so, this isn't a full app and has very few privileges. It's actually killed by iOS as soon as you dismiss it, and it isn't possible for it to sync anything. So you would need to open the main 1Password app on your iOS device in order for it to send or receive any changes. Is that maybe where you're running into trouble? I know that's caught me a few times, as I use my iPhone pretty extensively while traveling, and then if I don't open the actual app nothing I do there will sync anywhere else. Let me know what you find!

• tetious
    tetious
    Community Member

I'm experiencing something similar to this (not running any betas). It happens between two desktop instances (Macs) for me, so it isn't isolated to being sourced from the iOS app.

I'm running 6.8.8 on both Macs.

I can get the changes to show by switching away from my vault and back to it. I don't need to log out and back in. I think it primarily happens when I make a change on one computer while the other is suspended/asleep.

The vault I'm experiencing this with is a 1password.com "hosted" vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tetious: Are you saying that you're not experiencing any sync issues if both machines are awake? If so, it sounds like they're just not connecting immediately after waking from sleep, and in that case 1Password won't be able to receive any changes there. It will try, but if it keeps doing so constantly it will eat up a lot of system resources in futility, so we have it wait. But making a change there will reset the process and have it try again, since it needs to send something itself.

• tetious
    tetious
    Community Member

@brenty I've been watching it over the last couple days, and what you are describing seems to be the case and makes sense. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tetious: Nevertheless, I wish it weren't! Thanks for the update. There are some limitations in what we can do, but we'll continue to see if we can find ways to make the experience even more seamless. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

I have a problem of passwords not syncing. I recently had to go through the painful process of having to revert my MacBook from High Sierra to Sierra including full disk erasure and manual restores from Time Machine. This morning I was having trouble with a password on my iPhone and discovered that it differed with the one I had recently reset on the Mac. I realised then that the Mac was not signed into my 1Password account, but having done that does not seem to have made any difference. My iPhone and iPad both see the old version of the password while the Mac has the new one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antony_gordon: Do you have a Primary vault setup on any of your devices?

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Yes, on the Mac. I've been with 1Password for a couple of years at least but only signed up for family account a few months back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antony_gordon: Ah, then that's the key. The 1Password app will unlock using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there...so with a Primary vault on that device, its Master Password will be the one used to unlock. Do you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account? Before you answer, please double check by signing into the website:

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Yes. Everything present and correct (and agreeing with iPhone and iPad) except for the password I've been having trouble with today -- I have a separate copy of that for the moment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antony_gordon: Great! Thanks for confirming (and for taking the necessary precaution)! If you reset the app on your device, you'll be able to set it up from scratch with only your 1Password.com account. That way you'll have the same setup on each device, and the same data, which will avoid confusion in the future. Let me know how it goes! :)

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Problem solved. Thanks for your help. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• fishbelly
    fishbelly
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I have this same issue. I've contacted customer support three times now and gotten nothing but a "check out FAQ' BS response. This software really sucks. I have passwords on my laptop that aren't in my premium membership account or on my phone, and I suspect what's on my phone is also not in sync with what's in my premium account (which is behind what's on my laptop). I also have at least two duplicate entries for each password on my laptop version, and each one is different--it is not replacing entries but rather adding them, so I get one entry with an old password next to one with a new password, so 50% of my logins are not working because they're old. Chrome 1PW extension also likes to break relatively often, which requires a delete and reinstall.

What ever happened to this once great software?

Now that I'm actually in a forum that employees seem to view maybe someone out there can help me? I can't update my Mac software because it will break all sorts of other apps, but otherwise I think I should be good. Specs below.

Mac OS: 10.13.6
    1PW desktop: 7.3.1
    iOS: 12.3.1
    No idea what iOS 1PW version it is because I cant find it, but it auto-updates.

Also, apparently I am set to sync via iCloud, however I thought that buying a premium membership circumvented this, right? iCloud hates my devices for some reason and always has (even Apple can't seem to figure out the problems Ive had for the last 7+yrs). I bought the premium membership because I thought that Agile provided their own sync service, but maybe it's not setup? Please help.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fishbelly,

I think we really need to review diagnostic reports from both your MacBook and iOS device to ensure we help get everything talking to each other properly and make sure all of your data is being stored within the 1Password account. That will mean moving the conversation to email though just to ensure nothing is accidentally revealed that you wouldn't normally share in the more public setting of our support forum.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

That link has details for 1Password on all the supported platforms and it will initially show you the steps for the machine you're viewing the page on i.e. macOS steps if on the MacBook or iOS if in iOS Safari. I'd probably recommend starting with the iOS device.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@1password.com

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you now create a diagnostic report on the Mac and copy the entire subject from that automated reply into the email you send for the macOS diagnostic report it will ensure the two are connected. I figure the copy and paste is easier on the Mac hence sending the iOS diagnostic report first.

After all of that, if you can post the ticket ID here it will allow me to locate the email and we can work on getting this all fixed up.

• fishbelly
    fishbelly
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks for getting back to me. I have submitted both reports via iPhone and Mac, however I wanted to clarify next steps. Once I get a reply from Agile I should cut the subject line and send it to "support+forum@1password.com", then post the ticket ID here, and then you will connect the material and get back to me? This email "support+forum" is not in either diagnostic email, so I am confused what we're doing here.

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE:
    So I cannot send the required zip file due to the following error: "For security reasons, Gmail does not allow you to use this type of file as it violates Google policy for executables and archives." It bounced back. What the heck?

• fishbelly
    fishbelly
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fishbelly: did you generate the diagnostic report from your Mac using the 1Password troubleshooting utility that you downloaded from here?

• fishbelly
    fishbelly
    Community Member

Yes. Email bounced due to google not accepting zip files for some weird reason. Never had that error before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fishbelly: Gmail scans the contents of ZIP files, so it probably isn't the ZIP file itself but rather heuristics not liking something inside. I can't say I've encountered that with a diagnostics report before, since it's just plaintext files (Gmail scanning complains loudly about executables though). Did you maybe mistakenly attach the troubleshooting app in a ZIP file? That definitely happens from time to time.

• cfmaple1
    cfmaple1
    Community Member

I am also having this problem. I changed a website password on my iPad and it wasn't showing up on my iphone. So I crashed the 1password app on my phone and that seemed to fix it. So I tried to duplicate the problem (to verify the fix) and changed the password on my ipad again. This time crashing the app did not fix the problem on my iphone. Now I'm on my mac, using chrome. When I try to log into that same website it gives me my oldest password (neither of the changed passwords). But, if I go into the 1Password 7 app on my mac, it shows me the correct, newest password. It just won't feed it to Chrome (even though I am definitely using 1Password on Chrome, not keychain or Chrome saved passwords - both of which I cleared out). I haven't tried quitting out of Chrome, but I'd like not to lose all my open tabs every time I change a password. Any fix for this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cfmaple1: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, can you clarify what you mean by "crashed the 1password app"? I'm not sure what you're describing. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.