Latest Beta Version Safari Extension Unusable

Options
amocko
amocko
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Because previous versions were already unreliably invoked by the hotkey and the right-click contextual menu option was removed, I had to resort to putting 1Password back into my toolbar. However even that's not functioning anymore in the latest beta. For a period of time clicking the extension was simply opening the full app, but now that's stopped too. I've restarted Safari and 1Password. The only time I'm successfully able to envoke the extension is if I enable and disable it from Safari's preferences, but that still doesn't fill the login, and it stops working as soon as I navigate to a new page.

Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this and a fix comes soon.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-10
OS Version: 10.13.5 Beta (17F45c)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened for me since the beta, until the latest version I just installed few minutes ago, beta 10.

It works everywhere else, but if Safari is in focus, it refuses to work. Only when I click the 1Password button in the toolbar of Safari, the 1Password Mini starts working. However, it might not work again after a while. It's random to my knowledge.

This is very annoying to me, and I can see that there're probably several people having similar/same issues.

-- Ngoc

1Password Version: 7 beta 10
    Extension Version: 7 beta 10
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ngocphamm: Restart Safari. Especially after an update, the Safari app extension will need to update fully as well. Also, try clicking the toolbar button to activate it. That should do the trick, but let me know either way.

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member
    Options

I did restart Safari after 1Password update. The issue comes back from time to time, still, even if I click the toolbar button to activate it. That's just not how it worked before.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having major issues using the browser extension and the menu-bar extension. I can't get the CMD-\ keystroke to work at all, and clicking the Safari toolbar icon only works some of the time, and there is a very strange interaction between the toolbar icon and the menu-bar extension as the menu-bar extension doesn't seem to work at all and must be "cleared" by clicking the Safari toolbar icon.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

I agree... restarting Safari works for maybe the first or second attempt afterward, but then it becomes unusable again. I even rebooted the computer to see if there was some residual background agent running... it still happens.

• Ben
    Options

Hi foks,

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble here. I'm having some trouble reproducing this issue. I'm running 10.13.4 with Safari 11.1 and 1Password 7 beta 10. I have yet to encounter a situation where I've tried unsuccessfully to use the 1Password keyboard shortcut or the toolbar icon. I'll keep trying. In the mean time could you please let me know if there seems to be anything specific that triggers this difficulty?

Ben

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I am also having trouble with the latest extension.

• Safari Technology Preview (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.13.2)
    • 1Password 7 beta 10
    • macOS 10.13.5

When I click on the 1P button in Safari 11.2 it opens Safari 11.1. If I have both Safari 11.1 and 11.2 open, clicking on the toolbar button opens 1P in 11.1. This behavior began with beta 10.

• JBB
    JBB
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed, the issue got much worse in the current beta. The hotkeys don't work most of the time, and the extension button only works sometimes as well.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks folks. I've filed a bug report to track this issue. We'll update this thread if we need further information and/or when we have further information.

Ben

ref: apple-1002

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Also still having this issue. Cmd-/ only working half the time, and open & fill is getting worse for me. 25% success rate at best.
    Safari 11.1 / Apple 10.13.4 / Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the reports folks. I've heard back from development on this and they are working on a solution. It is going to involve completely re-tooling the extension, so I'm not sure when it'll be available, but before 7.0.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben That sounds like a big deal! Thanks for being on top of this as always.

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to get the beta 9 extension back? Or a beta 10.1 that reverts some aspects of this? Basically, just wondering how to proceed without a working extension.

• Ben
    Options

Don't use Safari?

I'm kidding. Sort of. :) You could re-install beta-9 and use that when not specifically testing something related to a newer version. You'd need to install 1Password 7 for Mac beta 9 (not just the extension). It isn't possible to use a different version of the extension than the app because the extension is part of the app now.

Ben

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Ha! Okay. I've been considering using FF as my daily driver anyways.

• Ben
    Options

I've been rocking Firefox Nightly as my primary browser and it has served me well. :)

Ben

• Phil7
    Phil7
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this issue. 1Password note completes the fields since beta 10.

Safari 11.1 / Apple 10.13.4 / Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    Options

I also have the same issue since upgrading to 1Password Beta 10. It happened on occasion with Beta 9 but this is almost unusable now and may go back to 1P6.

• PhilipRoy
    PhilipRoy
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, having the same issue with Beta-10 and Safari. I'm not moving to FF sorry.

Phil

• GSon
    GSon
    Community Member
    Options

At the biginning of the beta period, I had the probelm of the Safari extension not functioning, but I was told to reinstall 1Password, and after a number of attempts, the problem went away. But now it is back, and I see that other people have the problem, too. Can sombody remind me where to download the latest beta, so that I can try to reinstall it?
    Best wishes,

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can download the latest beta from here. However, that may not solve your problem.

Stephen

• Ben
    Options

@PhilipRoy I was (mostly) joking about not using Safari.

Ben

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a screencast of the sort of thing that's happening to me. Is this what others experience? (It can be fixed by disabling and reenabling the extension in Safari preferences.)

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

@nils_enevoldsen: Watching your video made me realize that I too use Spaces, and a lot of them. @Ben, when you try and reproduce the issues, are you using Spaces as well?

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

I'll point to 1Password Safari extension causes Spaces switching as a possibly related issue. I wonder if it will also be fixed by the re-tooling that @Ben mentioned.

• Ben
    Options

I’m not personally a big user of spaces but we’ll certainly keep that in mind as we work through this and related issues.

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

I do not use Spaces
    but this behavior is regular ( and randomly ) with Safari
    enough to say 1Pbeta 7 is not working

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Gilles9.

Ben

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I rebooted my machine and have not had the problem all day and have not had to restart 1Password 7 yet. Not to say it is totally fixed quite yet but it is looking pretty good.

• Ben
    Options

Good to hear, @mdvzo. Thanks for the information.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.