Latest Beta Version Safari Extension Unusable

Options
2»

Comments

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    Options

Well it just happened again but at least it is not so frequent. Similar to beta 9 behavior.

• Phil7
    Phil7
    Community Member
    Options

Reboot the machin doesn't solve the bug for me.

• stevenind
    stevenind
    Community Member
    Options

Is anyone having issues with 1Password 7 for the Mac not filling user name and password fields on web sites? I am having to click on the 1Password extension on Safari 3-4 times for the data to enter. TIA

• stevenind
    stevenind
    Community Member
    Options

Also having the issue with Safari and the 1Password 7 beta extension not filling web site fields unless I click the extension 3-4 times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Reboot the machin doesn't solve the bug for me.

@Phil7: Indeed, rebooting won't change the way the Safari app extension works, but we'll continue to see if there are things we can do on our end to make it more reliable. However, can you elaborate on the specific problem you're having?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also having the issue with Safari and the 1Password 7 beta extension not filling web site fields unless I click the extension 3-4 times.

@stevenind: I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have better luck if you use the keyboard shortcut — ⌘ \ — instead? I've found that helps in most cases here.

• 1Philip
    1Philip
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there, same issues here.

Autofill does not work (neither shortcut nor clicking the link in 1Password window), the extension in Safari does not open and 1Password 7 Mini does not open either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1Philip: Did you restart Safari? There are some known issues with the new Safari app extension, but that may help.

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this issue, randomly the extension in Safari stops working, not responding to clicks or keyboard shortcuts. It also hijacks the system (cmd+alt+) shortcut to become unresponsive.
    Occasionally, it also makes the menubar icon failing for me as well. When clicking it, it will turn blue, but not show the window.

I do have some messages in Console.app, but they don't seem related (all about keep alive things).

• 1Philip
    1Philip
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty jap, did that but it does not help 😕 Maybe relevant but I would not know this would influence the current behaviour: I have been on the public beta for macOS and switched to the official build with the last regular macOS update. Some time after that I installed the 1Password 7 beta.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks folks. We do plan to re-tool the extension for Safari (again) to resolve this, but I can’t say for sure when we’ll see that in a beta.

Ben

• AdamLud
    AdamLud
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as previously reported. The extension will often fail to fill in fields. Clicking on the 1Password icon in the MacOS menubar freezes the icon, and no further interaction possible. Clicking the 1Password icon in Safari clears the stuck menubar icon, but I still can't interact with 1Password from the menubar—the problem just repeats if you click on the menubar icon. I can interact with 1Password from the Safari icon, but the global hotkey to bring up 1Password doesn't work. Keyboard shortcut to autofill does work unless the menubar icon is stuck.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I am also experiencing this issue but only on one of two Macs. Both Macs are running macOS 10.13.5 beta, Safari 11.1.1, and 1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010).

On my iMac 5K (2015), the 1Password extension is working fine. On my MBP (2012), the extension is completely locked up. Reboot does not resolve it.

Update: The extension is working for now. I deleted ~/Library/Caches/ and ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/ and then rebooted. I'm not sure if that fixed it or if it was a coincidence.

• nickoneill
    nickoneill
    Community Member
    Options

Wanted to chime in here with mostly the same experience since beta 10. Frequently (perhaps after sleep? hard to tell exactly) the Safari extension stops responding to the keyboard shortcuts and won't fill in passwords when triggered manually.

Restarting Safari seems to kick it back into shape for me, so I've been doing that often. Hopefully only until the next beta 🤞

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member
    Options

Also tried a reboot after the 10.13.4 (17E202) update and Safari will now (after a brief pause) load the site, but often doesn't fill the username/password field until I try 2 or 3 times.
    The decision to remove 1Password from Services is I think a retrograde step, as it at least allowed you to right click and choose from a list of possible logins, whereas now you have to move the pointer to the Safari 1Password icon and try and pick it from there, which is much slower.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, folks! We're working on getting Safari working better. :)

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

I have downgraded to beta 9 tentatively.
    Hope the problem is fixed soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

One way or another we'll get things working more smoothly. ;)

• amocko
    amocko
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for my complete lack of response to this post. For some reason, I wasn't getting any notifications. I'm happy to report the latest beta versions are working splendidly now. No more unreliable hotkeys or errors. No more telling me to install the extension, and I've been able to remove the button from my toolbar. Thank you for the amazing work everyone.

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify, is it still possible to use the browser extension? Because I am unable to get it to install at all now in Safari.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @amocko. Glad to hear this has been resolved for you.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@jpinnix

We had to pull the Safari App Extension from v7.0 but will hopefully be able to include it in a future update. For now v7 still requires the same browser extension that was needed prior to the SAE attempt:

https://1password.com/browsers/

Ben

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben So, just the regular extension, not the beta version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpinnix: Either is fine. Using the beta extension is not required, but if you're willing to provide feedback on it we'd be happy to have you use it. :)

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty It looks like the beta download link https://1password.com/browsers/beta/safari/ just gives 1Password-4.7.1.safariextz (which isn't the beta, right?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@a.jaffe: I'm sorry for the confusion there. There isn't currently a beta available for Safari, so that's why you're getting 4.7.1.

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty @a.jaffe Yeah, I was referring to extension usage in Safari. Due to the beta issues with Safari, and due to the amazing dev tools in the latest Firefox builds, I went ahead and made the switch. I'm using the beta in Firefox. I was just curious if the production extension should work for Safari+1P7.

Because it appears that I cannot install even the standard extension in Safari now. I get a dialog as to whether or not I should trust the extension, which I click, and then it doesn't do anything. Even after a restart of Safari.

• rudy
    Options

@jpinnix,

There's a bug in Safari's trust sheet where the only way to allow it to trust is to use keyboard navigation to tab over to the trust button to then hit the space bar to accept it.

Rudy

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy Thank you! That was the issue. Works now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.