Multiple accounts/vaults in the same computer BUT independent one from each other

Options
AlvaroR
AlvaroR
Community Member

Hi guys!
1password family subscriber here. I know how to set up multiple accounts, and create multiple vaults, but still I can't get the environment that I desire.
This is the desire funtionality:
I want to be able to have multiple accounts (with different master passwords) and be able to log in to each of them separately. Which it means not to see passwords from one account to other.
What I am trying to achieve is to share a computer with someone else, and both have the option to log in to our different accounts without seeing the Vaults/Passwords of the other person.
Let me know if there is something that I am missing to achieve this functionality.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Alvaro

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @AlvaroR! One of the best ways to share a computer among multiple users is done at the OS level. On both Windows and macOS, you can create multiple user accounts which have access to the applications installed, but separate stores of data. That's probably the best way to accomplish what it sounds like you're after.

If you mean you have a computer with a single user account that multiple people share, that's not a use-case that 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows supports (nor do many apps, for that matter). You could certainly each use a web browser to sign into your various 1password.com accounts separately, then sign out when you finish using the computer so that it's ready for the next person. But if you're not able (or not willing) to create a separate account for each of you on this shared computer, there's no way within 1Password to accomplish that kind of separation of data between two different users who do not want to share 1Password data completely.

• AlvaroR
    AlvaroR
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, it actually makes sense. Is there any plans on adding that functionality in the future?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @AlvaroR. I’m not aware of plans to support multiple profiles for 1Password within a single user account. Modern operating systems are designed to handle multi-user situations so it is unlikely that we’re going to spend the time to re-invent the wheel here, when we already get the functionality “for free” from the OS. :)

Ben

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to have have a family account associated with user #1 and a private account with user #2 but with an additional complexity.
    User #1 invites user #2 to access the family plan. User #1 owns the family account has a private vault and a shared vault and user #2 has a private vault and has full access (add, delete, or change) entries in the shared vault. Is this a realistic plan?

User #1 pays for the family plan, user # does not have to pay anything? Are my payment terms correct?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawk713 - I have to confess, I'm not entirely sure what you're after here, so let me explain a little about what IS possible.

When you sign up for 1Password Families, you (the person who sets up the account) are responsible for billing. You're able to invite up to an additional four people to join your Family, and they will not be charged anything. If you want to split the cost with them privately, that's up to you, but only the Family Organizer is responsible for the billing (annually or monthly).

If by "user" you mean different accounts on the computer itself, then yes -- at least, I think so. User #1 (with the 1Password Families account) could invite User #2 to join the 1Password Families account, and User #2 would have his/her own Private vault (visible and accessible only to him/her), as well as access to the Shared vault in the 1Password Families account. Is that what you're asking?

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

Precisely what I wanted to know. My wife lets me share her MacBook when we travel and we each have a userid on that computer. At home I use a desktop she always uses the MacBook. My private account has a very strong password but hers is a lot easier to remember. Thank you AgileBits for a great product.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawk713 - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

• Ahuramazda
    Ahuramazda
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars and @Ben , it is not really a smart and clean way. For example i share my PC with my wife, she has her own passwords and i have mine. Our goal is to separate our passwords. So we have 2 options. First option: buying 2 1Password accounts, this is not a nice option and we don't want to pay 4 times more when we can have a family account option. Second option, as you mentioned make a second OS user, but this is not really a solution, this is only a bad workaround. Why i say it is a bad workaround is, for example we want to buy something from Ebay and since I have an Ebay plus account we would prefer to use my account for extended money back guarantee, Ebay guarantee, free shipping and more, but we want to pay with my wife's PayPal. as you see there's no way to solve such a problem and it is not the only case switching between Twitter accounts, Pinterest, switching between email accounts and many many more, that's why we would love to have the option to share the 1Password app and not another OS user to access our passwords.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Ahuramazda! If you're not a fan of separate user accounts on a Mac, you'll want to get in touch with Apple about that, since it's the standard capability on all personal computer OSes of which I'm aware -- certainly the major ones, including Windows, Linux and macOS. I'd suggest in such a case that a 1Password Families account with certain well-chosen items placed in the Shared vault (such as your wife's PayPal - or both of your PayPal accounts, so either one of you could use either account when you wished to. Separate user accounts on macOS allows complete separation of things like Twitter, Pinterest and email accounts (those are just the ones you mention), but if you have a few occasionally or regularly-shared 1Password items in a Shared vault, then both of you can access them whenever you need to. Hope that helps! :)

• Ahuramazda
    Ahuramazda
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars thank you for your respond. Seems like i couldn't explain my problem very well. I have no problem with seperated OS users, It is actually an awesome feature and I'm grad, that this feature is included in almost all OSes even mobile ones. I give you an example, maybe it can help me to explain my problem. I have KeePass on my working MacBook. In the KeePass I have 2 vaults, one is for my developing accounts and the other one is mostly .htaccess and DataBank user and Passwords for Testing and other stuff wich I can share them with my colleagues easily. So Let's call them DEV vault and Testing Vault. To access my DEV vault I have to choose DEV.kdbx local file and with password of my DEV account I can log in to my DEV account, to access the Testing account I can choose Testing.kdbx and with password of Testing account I can log in to Testing account. For this process I should not switch between OS Users and I'm happy, that I must not switch between OS users each time I need something from the other vault.
    in my private life, i don't have any problem, that my wife has access to my Twitter or history of my browser but we would like to keep our PayPal and other passwords seperated. With such a feature can my wife easily log in her email (for example) and print some PDFs without intterupting my wor to switch between OS useres only to can have access her 1 Password (log in to her email) and print some PDF pages. I think it could help many people like me with the same problem. I know so many people in my Friends with the same problem. I really enjoy 1Password and even KeePass offer almost everything what 1Password offers and KeePass is free I prefer 1Password because of clean UI, strong customer support and nice experience. For such a nice service is really sad to lack these small features, these can make customers happier.

• Hey @Ahuramazda,

Thank you for the further explanation. I can definitely understand that it is easier to simply sign into a different account then continuously have to switch OS level user accounts - especially if it's for something quick like printing a PDF from an email account.

I can't make any promises on this, and as Ben mentioned this is not something that is currently in the plans. That said, every bit of feedback from our customers helps shape the direction of 1Password. If we start hearing from many users that this is a super important feature for them, then our plans could shift. Thank you for sharing your feedback and use-case!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ahuramazda: For what it's worth, there are a few things that can help with that scenario:

Use the built-in user-account-switching feature in the OS. I know this has been discussed, but in most cases you don't actually have to sign out of your account to let your wife switch to hers, seamlessly. I'd still recommend that because it means truly keeping the stuff you and your wife want to keep separate separated. With what you're proposing, you'd need to have her stuff setup in your user account semi-permanently for what sounds like an infrequent need, printing PDFs or whatever.

Alternatively, with a 1Password Families membership, since each of you have your own 1Password account, she could just sign into it quickly in the browser under your OS user account to grab a password or whatever.

If you do prefer a semi-permanent option, she could setup her 1Password account in 1Password X in the browser, and unlock it any time using her own Master Password. That could be in a browser you both use, or in a different one which only she uses when she occasionally needs to do something under your OS user account. Even if you both use 1Password X in the same browser, entering her Master Password will only unlock the account(s) which use that Master Password; if your account(s) use a different Master Password, those will not unlock when she enters hers, and vice versa.

But, all of that said, a few quick clicks to switch user accounts is, I think, a very small price to pay to maintain security and separation of data. Food for thought. :)

This discussion has been closed.