Backslashes in Notes (1Password 7 Beta for Mac)

Zeck
Zeck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The backslash character appears to be causing a display problem in the Notes field. I am running Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.4) and 1Password 7 Beta-10.

I noticed that, for one of my entries, nothing was displayed in its Notes field unless I went into Edit mode, in which case the all of the note's text was visible. Investigation seems to point to the backslash character as the culprit. I had been entering some Windows path names into this particular note and used backslashes, as in D:\data\sublevel\

Narrowing this down to its simplest cases, I found the following when the note contained only the following (without the quotes):

• A single backslash ("\") displayed nothing--a blank note--instead of the backslash.
  • "X\" displayed "X"--the backslashes were not shown.
  • "C:\test\" displayed "C: est". The backslashes were not displayed and the "t" in "test" was also not displayed.
  • "C:\test\level" displayed "C: estlevel". The backslashes were not displayed, the"t" was not displayed, and "test" and "level" were run together.

I thought this might have something to do with the addition of the Markdown feature, but I couldn't find that the backslash was a reserved or otherwise special Markdown character.

Again, in Edit mode, all of the characters (backslashes included) are displayed.

I saw an earlier post where a "backslash issue" was noted and apparently fixed (or soon to be fixed). Sorry if this covers ground that will be sorted out in an upcoming release. Thanks for a super product and for the chance to check out the beta versions.

Van

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Beta-10 (Mac)
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.4)
_Sync Type 1Password account
_Referrer
: forum-search:backslash notes

Comments

• Mitch
    edited May 2018

Hey @Zeck,

Thanks for the detailed bug report. Backslashes are used as an escape character to ignore Markdown syntax. For instance, \*hello\* written with backslashes would be displayed as *hello* whereas without the backslashes it would appear as hello. But it looks like our Markdown interpreter is being overzealous and escaping every backslash . That's definitely not our intention, and it's something we'll want to fix for 1Password 7. Your examples will be a great help there!

Please let me know if you run into any other issues with the Markdown output, and thanks for helping to make 1Password 7 even better.

Cheers,
    Mitch

• wilou
    wilou
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Hello,

The backslash issue in Password 7 is quite annoying, I use this character a lot! I'm using the latest 1Password release (not beta) and the bug is still present.

I don't always want markdown syntax. I need simple text mode notes, without any syntax processing. Can you please make it at least an optional feature?

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2018

Hi @wilou ,

Thanks for letting us know. I'll pass your feedback on to the development team to consider making it optional.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: apple-460

This discussion has been closed.