1Password browser extension greyed out

Hello,

A couple of days ago I switched to 1Password.com Family. I'm still using the trial, but I'm going to take a subscription after the trial periods end.
I did use 1Password 4xxx before and I deleted that from my system.

Right now I'm using 1Password 6.8.534 .

I'm trying to use the browser extension but it's greyed out. I'm using Firefox 59.0.3 (64-bits) and Windows 10 Pro (also up-to-date).
I uninstalled the 1Password browser extension and runned CCleaner. I went to https://1password.com/browsers/ and installed 1Password for Firefox, rebooted the PC, but it's still greyed out.

What else can I try to get this to work? I see more issues of this kind, so are there known issues?

Greetz,
DedSec85

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @DedSec85: Since you came from 1Password 4, I'd wager a necessary setting isn't enabled in 1Password 6. Open and unlock the main 1Password 6 app, then choose 1Password menu > Settings. Click Advanced and make sure both "Enable Native Messaging for Firefox and "Enable Native Messaging for Chrome" are checked. If not, check those two, restart your browser(s) and give it another try. Let us know if that gets things working. :+1:

1Password 4 and 1Password 6 don't really play nice together and can get into a fight over the extension at times. Since 1Password 6 isn't technically a direct upgrade for 1Password 4 (1Password 6 doesn't support standalone vaults), we didn't want installing 1Password 6 to remove 1Password 4, so getting these settings jumbled is a bit more common than we'd like. 1Password 7 will cover standalone vaults and 1Password accounts, so it will remove 1Password 4 and we hope to see less of this once it's ready to go. :chuffed:

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate ,

Thank you so much for your help! Turning on Enable native messaging for firefox did the trick.
    I installed 1Password, did a migration from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 and I deleted the 1Password 4 desktop app and browser extension afterwards....so I thought that I cleaned up all of 1Password's 4 data.

I use the browser extension a lot so I'm glad it's working now.

Have a great weekend!

• @DedSec85: It's not so much about cleaning up 1Password 4's data as whether or not 1Password 6 was able to seize the extension from 1Password 4 when you installed it. Typically, it takes over just fine, but from time to time I see it fail in its mission. Either way, I'm glad all is well. You have a lovely weekend yourself and you know where to find us if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.