Known issue with Edge in Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803) [working with Microsoft on a solution]

Options
Greg
Greg
1Password Alumni
edited May 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Microsoft recently released the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (build version number 1803), and there is a known issue with 1Password extension in Microsoft Edge.

Windows 10 April 2018 update (1803) is launching Microsoft Edge in a suspended mode on every start up to help Edge launch faster. This also launches our 1Password helper processes, which allows the 1Password desktop app to connect to Edge. Because Edge doesn't respond when it's suspended, this breaks integration with 1Password.

We are working with Microsoft on a solution. For now, the best 1Password extension experience is going to be using Firefox or Chrome. However, if you want to use the 1Password extension in Edge, you can still do so by terminating all 1Password.Edge.* processes, including 1Password.Edge.Universal.exe (in Task Manager > Details) after closing Edge:

We will post any news and updates about this issue here when we have them. Thank you!

Comments

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sad to see this happened as I have loved using Edge and it's gotten much better. And 1password is my choice for password saves. I hope your team finds a solution, but in case anyone wanted a different workaround, I am using this.

I created a .bat file with the following lines:
    taskkill /IM 1Password.Edge.Universal.exe /f
    start microsoft-edge:
    Because it seems things are left in suspended mode when edge shuts down, the first line kills the 1password process, then the second line opens up Edge. Running the batch file (double clicking it) will open up a cmd window quick, and perform those two commands. when it does it, 1password runs like it should. the button works, etc.

Because I don't like the command prompt, I had the app "Edgetile Creators" on the windows store. It's not free, but it allows you to create much nicer tiles for the start menu. So I created a tile and have it run the batch file. The edgetile app hides the cmd window so it opens seamlessly.

I hope this helps people who love Edge and are waiting for MS and 1PW to find a proper solution.

Few things that won't work is if Edge is closed, and you click a link, it'll open edge, but it won't have killed the process first, so it'll be broken. Also, if anyone knows how to pin a batch file with custom icon to the taskbar, that would be great.

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sad to see this happened as I have loved using Edge and it's gotten much better. And 1password is my choice for password saves. I hope your team finds a solution, but in case anyone wanted a different workaround, I am using this.

I created a .bat file with the following lines:

taskkill /IM 1Password.Edge.Universal.exe /f
    start microsoft-edge:

Because it seems things are left in suspended mode when edge shuts down, the first line kills the 1password process, then the second line opens up Edge. Running the batch file (double clicking it) will open up a cmd window quick, and perform those two commands. when it does it, 1password runs like it should. the button works, etc.

Because I don't like the command prompt, I had the app "Edgetile Creators" on the windows store. It's not free, but it allows you to create much nicer tiles for the start menu. So I created a tile and have it run the batch file. The edgetile app hides the cmd window so it opens seamlessly.

I hope this helps people who love Edge and are waiting for MS and 1PW to find a proper solution.

Few things that won't work is if Edge is closed, and you click a link, it'll open edge, but it won't have killed the process first, so it'll be broken. Also, if anyone knows how to pin a batch file with custom icon to the taskbar, that would be great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unrealreality: Okay, that's really awesome. Thank you for sharing! I spent countless hours writing batch files back in the day, but I completely forgot they existed. So great! :chuffed: :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Just an update, we are currently reviewing a combination of workarounds that may address this specific issue. If it works out, we hope to have an update out soon.

• macgeek21
    macgeek21
    Community Member
    Options

please keep us updated. right now I have to copy and paste things from the 1password app like an animal!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macgeek21: We will certainly will! :+1: :)

You can try to use 1Password extension in Chrome, Firefox, or Opera for the time being. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• testfirst
    testfirst
    Community Member
    Options

1Password also ignores the setting to NOT start at Windows launch since this Windows update.

• macgeek21
    macgeek21
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve had that issue forever. It bogs down my startup by constantly opening the 1Password ui.

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi guys,

@testfirst and @macgeek21, that's not us in this case. That's due to Edge (suspended) auto-starting the extension which auto-starts the 1Password app before the extension can work.

Unfortunately, there isn't a one-fit-all fix here. If we disable auto-starting 1Password app, then no one will have a working 1Password extension until they manually start it.

If you remove 1Password from Edge, you'll notice 1Password doesn't start up upon reboots anymore.

At this point, we're choosing to make sure 1Password works for everyone using 1Password in Edge.

We'll keep working with Microsoft on this but at the moment, without an option to disable Edge auto-starting as well on every reboot, there's no workaround beside removing 1Password extension from Edge.

It bogs down my startup by constantly opening the 1Password ui.

What do you mean constantly opening 1Password? It should render its UI and then instantly moved to the notification area, all of this is done with very little resource used. We don't start syncing until after it is in notification area.

• macgeek21
    macgeek21
    Community Member
    Options

It might just be my machine because I’m using a regular hd instead of an ssd. When I turn on my laptop it takes a few mins to boot properly but once the 1password window appears everything is responsive.

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah this is annoying. I'm working on a 3rd party executable-stub that will axe the background processes and then launch edge in a transparent way. I'll post more about it here once I get it working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It might just be my machine because I’m using a regular hd instead of an ssd. When I turn on my laptop it takes a few mins to boot properly but once the 1password window appears everything is responsive.

@macgeek21: Honestly I don't run into this issue on my Surface very often. I don't know if that's luck or some Microsoft magic I cannot comprehend. On my other Windows machines, however, it's a constant struggle, so I do hope together with Microsoft we can find a solution. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmanes: That does sound interesting. Looking forward to hearing more! :)

• macgeek21
    macgeek21
    Community Member
    Options

Do your other machines have ssds or regular spinning HD’s? My guess is because this laptop has a spinning hard drive that is the slow down. Once your used to instant boot with ssd it’s hard to go back.

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I've added a few things to my batch file that makes it a bit more useful. I've also created it as a self-standing .exe file so it's able to be pinned on start and taskbar. Still creates a second edge icon for now, but hopefully there is a better fix on the way.

It seems when Edge is closed, it kills the "1password.edge.native" but keeps "1password.edge.universal" in standby. If edge is opened again, it never restarts the 1password.edge.native" again which is why it breaks I'm guessing?

So I have this EXE that checks to see if the native.exe process exists. if so, then nothing is wrong, if it doesnt' find it, it kills the universal.exe. then after a few seconds, it'll restart automatically (I'm assuming via your 1password program? or the Edge extension code? not really sure).

I tried to fire the .native or .universal via the cmd line, but it just brings up "do you want to search the Microsoft store for a compatible app".

I'm sure your team is on a fix, but maybe it just needs a checker where if native isn't running, then start it?

---batch file

tasklist | find /i "1password.edge.native.exe" && echo || taskkill /IM 1Password.Edge.Universal.exe /f
    tasklist | find /i "microsoftedge.exe" && echo || taskkill /IM 1Password.Edge.Universal.exe /f
    start microsoft-edge:

• mtcowboy
    mtcowboy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Wow!! You guys are right on this problem. I also upgraded to version 1803 and also have the same problem with Edge. I really enjoy Edge over the other browsers I have used like Chrome so happy to hear the problem will be fixed.

• @unrealreality: Thanks for the tip! I actually told a customer I was working with to keep an eye here not to long ago, because I know y'all always come up with little tips and tricks to make these workarounds easier while we work on a more permanent fix. Your experience matches my own, though I've heard about slightly different behavior from different folks, so your mileage may vary a bit by machine.

@mtcowboy: We knew this one was coming, so we were definitely prepared to get questions, but didn't manage to find a fix before the update starting rolling out. We're absolutely still working on it and hope we'll be able to work with Microsoft to find a long-term solution. :+1:

• mtcowboy
    mtcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok bundkate. I AM NOT worried about it as I know eventually you will find the solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for you patience in the mean time. We're on the case. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do your other machines have ssds or regular spinning HD’s? My guess is because this laptop has a spinning hard drive that is the slow down. Once your used to instant boot with ssd it’s hard to go back.

@macgeek21: Oh, you're good! But unfortunately that's not it. They've all got SSDs. I wish it were as simple as that, as it would be an excuse for me to upgrade the drive! :lol: It's the not knowing that drives me crazy! :crazy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unrealreality: Very cool! Thanks for sharing that. I'm not sure it's a good long-term solution, but that could be useful to many of us. :)

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yea, it's really not ideal at all, but at least it is something that can be done in the mean time while you get a reliable fix going. I use Edge and 1PW daily :)

• @unrealreality: I'm consistently impressed with the ingenuity of our customers. Of course, we'd prefer you never have to go to such lengths, but that you can hack a workable solution just speaks to how awesome y'all are. :chuffed:

• We just got confirmation that fixes have been approved and all of you should be getting updates soon. Sorry for the delay and thank you for your support!

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, just got the update, and it works beautifully! I guess I can toss all my hacks. It was a fun little project to tinker with processes and such anyways.

Thank you @brenty @bundtkate @MikeT and @SergeyTheAgile for the quick response!

• MikeT
    Options

Great, thanks for letting us know!

• niknik1971
    niknik1971
    Community Member
    Options

I had the update from the winows app store, but I am not sure if it is all sorted out?

I am still getting an error in the edge browser during start up. The 1Password app in windows does not on the first run once windows is booted up? But seems to work after Edge has been run twice or more?

Nik

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @niknik1971,

The update is meant to resolve the issue caused by Windows 10 April 2018 update (1803), which is 1Password extension is not usable after you close Edge once. There is no other fix included.

What error are you getting? We're not aware of any errors that pop up during start-up.

If you have 1Password disabled from starting up upon reboots, no 1Password extension will work until 1Password program is running first. In other words, you won't be able to use 1Password in Edge or any other 1Password extensions until you manually start 1Password before starting the browser.

• niknik1971
    niknik1971
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have 1Pasword disabled on start up. When I upgraded windows to the latest build I was getting a 1Passerd error and an edge error (content process). The 1Password error has disappeared, but the edge error (content process)is still here. If I run edge straight from boot up and click the 1Password icon nothing happens!

• @niknik1971: That Edge error may be unrelated to 1Password, but it's hard to say without more detail. Do you see the same error if you disable the 1Password extension in Edge and reboot your PC? This Windows update did change how Edge is launched, which was at the root of 1Password's trouble here, but as MikeT mentioned, this did not throw an error, from 1Password or Edge, in our experience.

This discussion has been closed.