Different password to open 1P4 and 1P7

Options
Leboyf
Leboyf
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Different password to open 1P4 and 1P7

I'm a 1P4 user.

I previously installed 1P6 and uninstalled it. Later on, I changed my main 1P4 password.

Yesterday I downloaded 1P7 Beta.

To open 1P7... I need to use the previous 1Password password that was valid at the time I tried 1P6.

I'm now using both 1P4 and 1P7. It works fine. If I change one password entry in 1P4, it'll update in 1P7. Of course... since it's the same vault.

I deleted 2 old (outdated) vaults that showed up in 1P7… using 1P7. I thought I previously deleted those files. Note that I must have moved the vault files a couple of times.

Basically:

• To open 1P4 I need to use the latest password
  • To open 1P7 I need to use the older password.

My questions are:
Why is that?
Why my latest password is not working in 1P7?
How can I rectify this in 1P7?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626 and 7.0.543
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Leboyf,

Thanks for reporting this.

1Password 7 has an internal database that it stores your data in, so that you can switch vaults and/or add multiple 1Password accounts as well. The database is protected by the first password you gave to 1Password, which does not change even if you uninstall 1Password since your database will remain on drive when you reinstall 1Password later.

We haven't implemented the setting to let you change this database password yet. The best way to approach this is to rename the internal database folder with this guide, follow the steps for the 1Password 6.

After that, open the same vault that you use from 1Password 4 and you should now have the same passwords and they should sync with each other.

Note that in 1Password 7, AgileKeychain format is no longer supported and 1Password 7 will convert it to OPVault. In 1Password 4, you have to open this new OPVault to sync between each other.

• Leboyf
    Leboyf
    Community Member
    Options

It worked... thanks,

• @Leboyf: On behalf of MikeT, you're most welcome. I hope you enjoy 1Password 7! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.